Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Braves offseason thread

vCash
    So why did we decide to get rid of Perdomo after just acquiring him a few days before. 6'8 lefty that can bring it with good past numbers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by klong-dog View Post
    So why did we decide to get rid of Perdomo after just acquiring him a few days before. 6'8 lefty that can bring it with good past numbers.
    He's out for 2024 season. Guess AA changed his mind on waiting

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyDog View Post
    The bullpen wasn't/isn't near full is it? We cut bait on Hand, Yates, McHugh, Stephens, Tonkin, Uncle Jesse, and the rest of the rotating band of ineffective nothings. Doubtful Matzek is ready to go early. But AA is definitely building up a pen of flamethrowers, which is a great thing to have.

Edited to add: I'd still love for them to bring back Jesse Chavez for the 20th time on a cheaper deal. Dude just excels when he's in a Braves uni.
    Can't believe that Wilson hasn't made it yet/ He was lights out in AA and did good in Gwinett.

vCash
    The bullpen wasn't/isn't near full is it? We cut bait on Hand, Yates, McHugh, Stephens, Tonkin, Uncle Jesse, and the rest of the rotating band of ineffective nothings. Doubtful Matzek is ready to go early. But AA is definitely building up a pen of flamethrowers, which is a great thing to have.

Edited to add: I'd still love for them to bring back Jesse Chavez for the 20th time on a cheaper deal. Dude just excels when he's in a Braves uni.
    Looks like they have Iglasias, Jimenez, Pierce Johnson, Minter, Bummer, and Matzek as locks or have no options. There's 4 or 5 other guys in the mix, but they all have options. So I guess there is room for this new guy. Looks like they want to use him as a multi inning power thrower in the playoffs.

The Braves have a lot of back end of the rotation potentials in play. I don't think we see them sign more than 1 FA SP (assuming Shawver is planned to be in the rotation). They'll hold after that until spring training, make a trade if needed.

ETA: forgot Kowar. He does have an option though.
    Last edited by BoomBoom; 11-20-2023 at 05:41 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom View Post
    Looks like they have Iglasias, Jimenez, Pierce Johnson, Minter, Bummer, and Matzek as locks or have no options. There's 4 or 5 other guys in the mix, but they all have options. So I guess there is room for this new guy. Looks like they want to use him as a multi inning power thrower in the playoffs.

The Braves have a lot of back end of the rotation potentials in play. I don't think we see them sign more than 1 FA SP (assuming Shawver is planned to be in the rotation). They'll hold after that until spring training, make a trade if needed.

ETA: forgot Kowar. He does have an option though.
    Yep. AA is definitely focused on bolstering bullpen and signing Sonny Gray

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000Dawg View Post
    Yep. AA is definitely focused on bolstering bullpen and signing Sonny Gray
    Or Yamamoto. If the scouts are sold on him, then he makes a ton of sense. He's younger.

I can also see them making a 1 or 2 year deal on a middling veteran SP, in addition to a top of the rotation addition. Could be a Tonkin replacement, or something a bit better hopefully.

vCash
    If the reports are true that the offer to Nola was 6 years 160 million, then go get Sonny Gray and Rodriguez and let's get it rolling!

vCash
    As a Royals fan, I guess the Braves are the only team we can trade with. I like the Wright trade myself. Getting nothing in 24, but should be good to go for 25. Not sure where Kowar fits in with the Braves. Middle relief I would guess.

vCash
    If the reports are true that the offer to Nola was 6 years 160 million, then go get Sonny Gray and Rodriguez and let's get it rolling!
    No thanks on Gray. Spend a little more money and just sign Yamamoto. He doesn't cost the draft pick compensation

vCash
    Welp looks like AA has whiffed on free agents 1 and 2 so far. Now people are going to expect him to pull off a trade with a trash farm system and 2 weeks removed from blowing up the 40 man.

Definitely looking like a patchwork starting 5 and Grissom in LF type disappointment coming up along with having to replace Wash and EY.

vCash
    Welp looks like AA has whiffed on free agents 1 and 2 so far. Now people are going to expect him to pull off a trade with a trash farm system and 2 weeks removed from blowing up the 40 man.

Definitely looking like a patchwork starting 5 and Grissom in LF type disappointment coming up along with having to replace Wash and EY.
    Maybe. The best starter is still available and also e-rod and stroman. Again, with fried and strider for this season, we don't have to have a TOR guy this season... next season has better upper echelon guys.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Maybe. The best starter is still available and also e-rod and stroman. Again, with fried and strider for this season, we don't have to have a TOR guy this season... next season has better upper echelon guys.
    For some reason I thought MF was a FA now. Hell yeah, we get another year!

Braves are also over the lux tax threshold, for the 2nd year. I'm sure they absolutely hate that.

vCash
    Signed with the Cardinals today.

vCash
    For some reason I thought MF was a FA now. Hell yeah, we get another year!

Braves are also over the lux tax threshold, for the 2nd year. I'm sure they absolutely hate that.
    Gotta find a way to get fried and strider healthy entering the playoffs this season

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Gotta find a way to get fried and strider healthy entering the playoffs this season
    Yep. We've lost 2 of our top 4, two seasons in a row? And without #5 being worth playing. Really, we got lucky Wright put it all together in 2021 right in time.

I think they sign a mediocre vet, a reliable innings eater. But Cease is definitely a possibility, especially if they think he will sign a friendly extension (he's a local guy). Depends on if they value Grissom enough, cause there's not much else besides him to headline a deal. I just worry that Cease's velocity dip last year means arm injury waiting to happen.

vCash
    Yep. We've lost 2 of our top 4, two seasons in a row? And without #5 being worth playing. Really, we got lucky Wright put it all together in 2021 right in time.

I think they sign a mediocre vet, a reliable innings eater. But Cease is definitely a possibility, especially if they think he will sign a friendly extension (he's a local guy). Depends on if they value Grissom enough, cause there's not much else besides him to headline a deal. I just worry that Cease's velocity dip last year means arm injury waiting to happen.
    You are right. If we make it thru a season with a healthy fried and Strider, great. But we?ve had a bandaid staff for 2 seasons now and it has bit us in the playoffs. Elder is a gamble. Morton is 40.

Can not have another season of rotating garbage in spots 3, 4 and 5.