Thread: Team Energy

vCash

Team Energy

Interesting take from someone affiliated with the football team. First, I was told at the time that we hired ZA that it was their opinion that the general consensus of the team and staff was that Zach was the best choice at that time.

Now, this person said that since the firing there was been a "different energy" around the program. I asked in a good way or bad way and their response was in a good way. Not sure what that means exactly as we we only spoke in passing but I thought that was interesting nevertheless. I don't think it was anything necessarily overt but ZA apparently ZA was perceived differently as a HC than he was a DC. I will reiterate again that this person believes that ZA was generally liked but for whatever reason the team is responding differently now for some reason.
    Last edited by Bully1972!; 11-17-2023 at 11:50 AM.

vCash
    Yeah, I've heard the practices since his firing have been lit. It's a different attitude from everyone top to bottom. That's what you want to hear in this situation.

vCash
    Assuming this is all true, it makes no sense what so over. Arnett was so Fiery and passionate.

I will say there were a lot of media reports coming out right before season stating arnett is a players coach. Well we all know how players coaches end up.
    "False start everybody but the center" referee summarizing Arnett's season performance as a head coach.

vCash
    Good to hear!
    It must be Leach's fault though ***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully1972! View Post
    Interesting take from someone affiliated with the football team. First, I was told at the time that we hired ZA that it was their opinion that the general consensus of the team and staff was that Zach was the best choice at that time.

Now, this person said that since the firing there was been a "different energy" around the program. I asked in a good way or bad way and their response was in a good way. Not sure what that means exactly as we we only spoke in passing but I thought that was interesting nevertheless. I don't think it was anything necessarily overt but at the same time apparently was perceived differently as a HC than he was a DC.
    What I've been told, from the/a horses mouth, is he had some control issues that led to the staff not gelling well and most of the frustration flowing uphill to him. The image of him being more hands off with everything is just an image. He was controlling the game planning pretty much entirely. Obviously he doesn't have time to do that, and several heads are better than one, so we ended up with some VERY questionable game plans. Supposedly, despite what we were told, he was way too involved in calling the defense too. There is actually excitement to see what Brock can do, he's well respected by the players, and there is the sentiment that he hasn't really been allowed to run the defense.

Basically, every point of failure ended up being pinned to his shoulders because he didn't share the load. I feel bad for the guy, it sounds like he was just so intent on forcing everything to be perfect that he couldn't allow himself to delegate. And, for a leader, delegating is imperative for actual success.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    What I've been told, from the/a horses mouth, is he had some control issues that led to the staff not gelling well and most of the frustration flowing uphill to him. The image of him being more hands off with everything is just an image. He was controlling the game planning pretty much entirely. Obviously he doesn't have time to do that, and several heads are better than one, so we ended up with some VERY questionable game plans. Supposedly, despite what we were told, he was way too involved in calling the defense too. There is actually excitement to see what Brock can do, he's well respected by the players, and there is the sentiment that he hasn't really been allowed to run the defense.

Basically, every point of failure ended up being pinned to his shoulders because he didn't share the load. I feel bad for the guy, it sounds like he was just so intent on forcing everything to be perfect that he couldn't allow himself to delegate. And, for a leader, delegating is imperative for actual success.
    That sounds like Moorhead.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    That sounds like Moorhead.
    I think the difference is team discipline isn't off the rails like it was with Moorhead. I haven't heard from anyone I've talked to that he hasn't kept a high expectation for effort and discipline. Guys just see things, like us trying to air the ball out against LSU, and know who established a gameplan that never gave them a chance.

Combine that with him already wearing the decision to get a new offensive staff, which I think was ultimately the right move even though it didn't work out, and he had a pretty narrow margin for error. The decision to go with a new offense was well received by most at first, the sentiment of the team now is it was arrogance.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 11-17-2023 at 11:56 AM.

vCash
    I think the difference is team discipline isn't off the rails like it was with Moorhead. I haven't heard from anyone I've talked to that he hasn't kept a high expectation for effort and discipline. Guys just see things, like us trying to air the ball out against LSU, and know who established a gameplan that never gave them a chance.

Combine that with him already wearing the decision to get a new offensive staff, which I think was ultimately the right move even though it didn't work out, and he had a pretty narrow margin for error. The decision to go with a new offense was well received by most at first, the sentiment of the team now is it was arrogance.
    What I meant was Arnett trying to do it all similar to Moorhead. At least we don't have the discipline issues like we had under Moorhead.

vCash

Hindsight question, but would have a hire like Hatcher as OC been a better situation IF Arnett left him alone to run the offense. Maybe easier transition, and having an experienced HC type to bounce ideas from.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
    Hindsight question, but would have a hire like Hatcher as OC been a better situation IF Arnett left him alone to run the offense. Maybe easier transition, and having an experienced HC type to bounce ideas from.
    Hatcher doesnt want an OC job. He's happy being a HC
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
    Good to hear!
    It must be Leach's fault though ***
    Quit beating the dead horse and bury it already for 17s sake.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick91 View Post
    Assuming this is all true, it makes no sense what so over. Arnett was so Fiery and passionate.

I will say there were a lot of media reports coming out right before season stating arnett is a players coach. Well we all know how players coaches end up.

Key word, "was". It really is one of the strangest changes in personality I can remember.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully1972! View Post

Now, this person said that since the firing there was been a "different energy" around the program. I asked in a good way or bad way and their response was in a good way. Not sure what that means exactly as we we only spoke in passing but I thought that was interesting nevertheless. I don't think it was anything necessarily overt but ZA apparently ZA was perceived differently as a HC than he was a DC. I will reiterate again that this person believes that ZA was generally liked but for whatever reason the team is responding differently now for some reason.
    There is ABSOLUTELY no team energy AT ALL. Every coach and player on our sidelines needs to reconsider football as their sport or as their profession. EVERY COACH needs to be gone after the egg bowl. So embarrassing letting a sorry ass USM team run up and down the field like an SEC team. Pathetic and embarrassing.