Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 5-7 and a bowl?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msudawg1200 View Post
    https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/bylawView?id=11780
    So, we were both wrong. James Madison fits the criteria since it has one year left on it's probationary period. Jax State does not since it is in transition year 1. That's why Rice got in over JMU last year, but since they are in their 2nd year of transition they fit the rules like a 5-7 team. They would get a leftover bowl if they don't get the waiver. The waiver is for a big bowl. You were wrong on JMU. I was wrong on Jax State. I apologize for the smartass comment.
    Ok, there you go. A waiver for a bigger bowl, that makes sense. So we are 50/50. Lol

No problem, sorry for the dipshit comment.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    Ok, there you go. A waiver for a bigger bowl, that makes sense. So we are 50/50. Lol

No problem, sorry for the dipshit comment.
    Brett McMurphy actually has Jax State projected to the Mobile Bowl. Now, I usually don't put stock in many of these moronic bowl projections. Me and you probably know the bowl tie ins and rules better, but McMurphy seems to know his stuff. I guess he thinks they get a waiver. He also has us in the Birmingham vs Northwestern and us favored by 3. That game would probably end up 2-0.

vCash
    Brett McMurphy actually has Jax State projected to the Mobile Bowl. Now, I usually don't put stock in many of these moronic bowl projections. Me and you probably know the bowl tie ins and rules better, but McMurphy seems to know his stuff. I guess he thinks they get a waiver. He also has us in the Birmingham vs Northwestern and us favored by 3. That game would probably end up 2-0.
    He may be hearing something that the NCAA might if there are too many not eligible. It's the NCAA, who knows.

That would be a craptastic bowl...I'd still go; but damn.

vCash
    Covid year we went with two wins I think and in 2017 we went with five wins.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    Covid year we went with two wins I think and in 2017 we went with five wins.
    It was 2016 we went 5-7 and got the last bowl bid. Then in 2020 we went at 3-7, though that was with an SEC only schedule, so arguably less of a stretch than 2016.

vCash
    When teams get bowls at 5-7, they just kinda get thrown in wherever, regardless of tie-ins. Back in 2016, we ended up in St. Petersburg to play a 6-6 MAC team despite the SEC not having that tie-in.

Maybe we could get ourselves into the Barstool bowl to extend our relationship as an athletic department.

vCash
    Northwestern, Wake Forest, Rice, and Boise State are all higher and look to have a good shot at 5 wins. It'd actually be better for them to win and knock out teams that might get to 6-6 like Illinois, Syracuse, FAU, etc.
    Here are some teams to root against: that could get to 6-6:
    Virginia Tech, Syracuse, Maryland, Illinois, FAU, Navy, South Alabama, Marshall, Arky Stare, App St, ULL, Western Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Northern Illinois, Houston, BYU, TCU, Texas Texh, SD State, Colorado St, Utah St, San Jose St, Washington St, Colorado, and Florida.
    I understand some of these teams play one another and some will get to 6-6. Either SD State or Colorado St falls out this week because they are both 3-6 and play each other. I'm counting James Madison and Jax State as bowl eligible because they get picked first if not enough teams qualify. There are 82 slots. Giving the four teams above us in APR slots, and looking at schedules I see at most 82-83 teams getting eligible. That's not happening. Not all of those teams I listed are going to get to six wins. If just one falls out we are the next team. I think it's a pretty good chance we get a bowl at 5-7.
    Any update? I would actually like to play in a bowl still.

vCash
    Knox is undefeated! We are going to a bowl at 6-6!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Any update? I would actually like to play in a bowl still.
    There's a chance. We need some of the fringe teams at 5-5,4-6 to not get eligible. Teams to pull against or for:
    ACC-Syracuse to win out against GT and Wake
    BIG 10-Nebraska and Illinois to lose out
    BIG XII-BYU to lose out, UCF to lose out
    SEC-Florida to lose out, SC to not win out
    PAC 12-Cal, Wazzu, or Colorado not to win out
    AAC-Navy not to win out, USF lose out,
    Sun Belt- one or two of USA, Marshall, or Arky State to lose out
    MAC-EMU,CMU,WMU, NIU to not win out
    MWC-Colorado St to not win out

Now, we don't need all of this to happen. If just a few happen we can get in. Mainly we need Nebraska, BYU, Florida and SC not get to 5 wins, and one or two of the MAC schools, and maybe Navy or USF not get bowl eligble.. That should get us in at 5-7.

vCash
    I think it would be a positive for us to go to a bowl even at 5-7. We need something positive heading into signing period, and spring to attract and keep a few players. 14 straight bowls is something too even though a little smoke and mirrors, but we'll take it. In today's world, perception is everything just ask OM the king of perception.

vCash
    There's a chance. We need some of the fringe teams at 5-5,4-6 to not get eligible. Teams to pull against or for:
    ACC-Syracuse to win out against GT and Wake
    BIG 10-Nebraska and Illinois to lose out
    BIG XII-BYU to lose out, UCF to lose out
    SEC-Florida to lose out, SC to not win out
    PAC 12-Cal, Wazzu, or Colorado not to win out
    AAC-Navy not to win out, USF lose out,
    Sun Belt- one or two of USA, Marshall, or Arky State to lose out
    MAC-EMU,CMU,WMU, NIU to not win out
    MWC-Colorado St to not win out

Now, we don't need all of this to happen. If just a few happen we can get in. Mainly we need Nebraska, BYU, Florida and SC not get to 5 wins, and one or two of the MAC schools, and maybe Navy or USF not get bowl eligble.. That should get us in at 5-7.
    So Nebraska, byu, Florida, and SC are ahead of us in APR? Is that why we don't need them to get to 5 wins? I think some are already at 5 wins.

vCash
    So Nebraska, byu, Florida, and SC are ahead of us in APR? Is that why we don't need them to get to 5 wins? I think some are already at 5 wins.
    Fla is 5-5 with at Mizzu and hosting FSU. USCe is 4-6 with KY and Clemson at home. Nebraska is 5-5 with at Wisconsin and home with Iowa to finish. BYU is 5-5 hosting OU and finishing at OSU.

vCash
    I don't think Stoops would allow us to play in one at 5-7*****
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    I don't think Stoops would allow us to play in one at 5-7*****
    Greg wants to be 2-0 in MSU bowl games.

vCash
    Aw hell, I'd go to Birmingham.

vCash
    We are ahead of them in APR. We don't need them to get to 6 wins. I messed up my original posts by saying 5.
    Last edited by msudawg1200; 11-14-2023 at 05:04 PM.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    If we have a coach in place by then, yep. If we don't, yep. Always take the bowl game.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    The program will save money going to Birmingham. Have players parents drive them over and back on game day. Nice short trip for the fans too. Alumni party stone Sheraton next to the Stadium. Bulldog Club Event at Top Golf. Parade at 5 Points South. Perfect.

vCash
    We are ahead of them in APR. We don't need them to get to 6 wins. I messed up my original posts by saying 5.
    Cool. Got it.

vCash
    This is the path for a 5-7 bowl:
    ACC -10 bowl teams but 9 would be nice. For 9 ACC bowl teams we need Syracuse to beat GT and Wake. GT and Wake will also most likely lose to UGA and Notre Dame which eliminates both of the Cuse beats both.
    Big 10 -10 bowl teams or less. They could have as many as 11, but as few as 9. We need them at 10 or less. They have many teams at 5-5. WI, NW, and MN all have 5 wins and are better than us in APR. Therefore, we need Nebraska(at WI home to Iowa) and Illinois(at Iowa home to NW) to lose out and put them at 9.
    Big XII-9 or less. BYU is 5-5. They have OU and at Okie St. They need to lose out. UCF and TT are both 5-5. They play at TT this week, so one is in. We need it to be TT, then we need Houston to lose to Okie St and win at UCF. That leaves 8. We can get by with 9 but no more.
    PAC 12- They have 7 bowl teams. Colorado and Wazzu are 4-6 and play this week. One is out. The winner will have Washington or Utah. Winner most likely loses the next week. Cal is 4-6 and has at Stanford and at UCLA. Just lose one. We don't need one of these sneaking in.
    SEC- 9 teams. Florida needs to lose at Mizzou and against FSU. SC needs to lose one of UK or Clemson at home.
    Independents-1 team. ND is in. Army is 4-6 with Coastal Carolina and Navy left. Two of their wins are FCS teams, meaning the are really 4-6. Still need them to lose to CC just in case the NCAA granted them a waiver. I'll get to G5 in my next post.
    Last edited by msudawg1200; 11-14-2023 at 05:47 PM.