Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 5-7 and a bowl?

vCash
    Absolutely you play the bowl game

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    No
    This is the correct answer...
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DesotoDog1967 View Post
    Leach would accept
    Would Mullen accept or Jackie?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    Yea keep the bowl streak alive. There will still be a new staff coming in. Might as well let the kids enjoy Birmingham or wherever.

ETA: plus, it would be good exposure for our coaching search. All the commentators would talk about is the possible coaches and/or the coach who has accepted to position but will start after bowl season. It?s a win/win for the program and the faintest of silver linings.
    This is exactly why we should play. 3 years from now, no one will remember the bowl streak includes a few 3 & 5 win teams. Nobody mentions it now. Perfect for a coaching search for more PR and proving you can go to a bowl here and have some success (not that I'd call this year a success) but a bowl streak like we have is something that not many programs have done.

vCash
    Is there any team higher than us on APR that we want to lose a few more games?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Would Mullen accept or Jackie?
    Yes.
    Mullen did in 2016

vCash
    I can't think of any team declining a bowl game outside of the COVID years

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
    Is there any team higher than us on APR that we want to lose a few more games?
    Northwestern, Wake Forest, Rice, and Boise State are all higher and look to have a good shot at 5 wins. It'd actually be better for them to win and knock out teams that might get to 6-6 like Illinois, Syracuse, FAU, etc.
    Here are some teams to root against: that could get to 6-6:
    Virginia Tech, Syracuse, Maryland, Illinois, FAU, Navy, South Alabama, Marshall, Arky Stare, App St, ULL, Western Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Northern Illinois, Houston, BYU, TCU, Texas Texh, SD State, Colorado St, Utah St, San Jose St, Washington St, Colorado, and Florida.
    I understand some of these teams play one another and some will get to 6-6. Either SD State or Colorado St falls out this week because they are both 3-6 and play each other. I'm counting James Madison and Jax State as bowl eligible because they get picked first if not enough teams qualify. There are 82 slots. Giving the four teams above us in APR slots, and looking at schedules I see at most 82-83 teams getting eligible. That's not happening. Not all of those teams I listed are going to get to six wins. If just one falls out we are the next team. I think it's a pretty good chance we get a bowl at 5-7.

vCash
    My only concern is that CZA could keep his job through the bowl game and with an early signing period, I don't want to risk signing a bunch of Jucos in December.

I also want to at least take a shot at a new coach trying to land a few of the in-state kids. I really despise punting on a really talented in state class.

vCash
    Don't we get paid to play in bowl games? Who gives a crap what bowl it is, why wouldn't we want the money? Ya'll talk like we broke. Better make that money when we can.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msudawg1200 View Post
    Northwestern, Wake Forest, Rice, and Boise State are all higher and look to have a good shot at 5 wins. It'd actually be better for them to win and knock out teams that might get to 6-6 like Illinois, Syracuse, FAU, etc.
    Here are some teams to root against: that could get to 6-6:
    Virginia Tech, Syracuse, Maryland, Illinois, FAU, Navy, South Alabama, Marshall, Arky Stare, App St, ULL, Western Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Northern Illinois, Houston, BYU, TCU, Texas Texh, SD State, Colorado St, Utah St, San Jose St, Washington St, Colorado, and Florida.
    I understand some of these teams play one another and some will get to 6-6. Either SD State or Colorado St falls out this week because they are both 3-6 and play each other. I'm counting James Madison and Jax State as bowl eligible because they get picked first if not enough teams qualify. There are 82 slots. Giving the four teams above us in APR slots, and looking at schedules I see at most 82-83 teams getting eligible. That's not happening. Not all of those teams I listed are going to get to six wins. If just one falls out we are the next team. I think it's a pretty good chance we get a bowl at 5-7.
    James Madison and Jxn St are not eligible.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    James Madison and Jxn St are not eligible.
    Yes they are if there are not enough 6 win teams, and there's not going to be. I factored that into my count.

vCash
    Yes they are if there are not enough 6 win teams, and there's not going to be. I factored that into my count.
    No they are not. You have to be in D1 for 2 years before you can be bowl eligible. JMU is trying to get an exception for this year, their second in D1, but right now they haven't received that from the NCAA. Jxn St won't get in no matter what, this is there first year in D1
    Last edited by Really Clark?; 11-08-2023 at 04:36 PM.

vCash
    No they are not. You have to be in D1 for 2 years before you can be bowl eligible. JMU is trying to get an exception for this year, their second in D1, but right now they haven't received that from the NCAA. Jxn St won't get in no matter what, this is there first year in D1
    I think that doesn't apply if there are not enough 6-6 teams. That's what the athletic article says at least

vCash
    Her you go smartass
    https://www.foxsports.com.au/nfl/col...7ce4ccdca72014
    https://sports.yahoo.com/james-madis...155607355.html
    Which is what I stated in my post if there are not enough 6 win teams. I know how College Football works.
    Last edited by msudawg1200; 11-08-2023 at 05:04 PM.

vCash
    Her you go smartass
    https://www.foxsports.com.au/nfl/col...7ce4ccdca72014
    https://sports.yahoo.com/james-madis...155607355.html
    Which is what I stated in my post if there are not enough 6 win teams. I know how College Football works.
    I wasn't being a smart ass at all. But I can be dipshit. That article is about them writing a letter to be bowl eligible this year, the NCAA still has not approved it. They are not in right now, like I said. They did the same thing last year but the NCAA ruled against them and let a 5-7 Rice team into the bowls. So no, as it's stands right now, neither JMU or Jxn St have the ability to be in the bowls this year and a 5-7 can be put in ahead of them, It happened just last year. Until the NCAA changes their previous rulings, they are not in. So obviously you don't know the rules.
    Last edited by Really Clark?; 11-08-2023 at 05:33 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    I think that doesn't apply if there are not enough 6-6 teams. That's what the athletic article says at least
    They have to get a waiver from the NCAA, they tried that last year and the NCAA denied them and put in Rice who was 5-7. In fact Rice got in over a 6-6 team because 2 of that schools wins were against FCS schools.

ETA, you are right on JMU but Jxn St still can't get in.
    Last edited by Really Clark?; 11-08-2023 at 05:52 PM.

vCash
    They have to get a waiver from the NCAA, they tried that last year and the NCAA denied them and put in Rice who was 5-7. In fact Rice got in over a 6-6 team because 2 of that schools wins were against FCS schools.
    One of which had Kevin Barbay as OC

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    One of which had Kevin Barbay as OC
    It was App St, I had forget who.

vCash
    I wasn't being a smart ass at all. But I can be dipshit. That article is about them writing a letter to be bowl eligible this year, the NCAA still has not approved it. They are not in right now, like I said. They did the same thing last year but the NCAA ruled against them and let a 5-7 Rice team into the bowls. So no, as it's stands right now, neither JMU or Jxn St have the ability to be in the bowls this year and a 5-7 can be put in ahead of them, It happened just last year. Until the NCAA changes their previous rulings, they are not in. So obviously you don't know the rules.
    https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/bylawView?id=11780
    So, we were both wrong. James Madison fits the criteria since it has one year left on it's probationary period. Jax State does not since it is in transition year 1. That's why Rice got in over JMU last year, but since they are in their 2nd year of transition they fit the rules like a 5-7 team. They would get a leftover bowl if they don't get the waiver. The waiver is for a big bowl. You were wrong on JMU. I was wrong on Jax State. I apologize for the smartass comment.