Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Go ahead and stop playing and pay 6mil a year

vCash
    Here is were you have to be careful with the idea of just throwing big salary at coaches at higher programs. When they turn you down, you will be the same fans calling the job search a dumpster fire. Even though you want us to make a big money move, you will turn on the search when / if it does not work. When they all turn you down and you drop down to the correct pool of coaches that likely will come, you just set a salary expectation that you end up over paying for those type of coaches. You go throwing around a $9 MIL figure and end up with a coordinator you could have got for $3 - 4 MIL but end up paying $5-6 MIL for.

If you have a P5 HC that is a legit option AND reaches out or is willing to talk and negotiate, fine. You absolutely do that for that one coach but you had better have a clear picture of what your coaching pool reality is prior and move quickly into that pool if the big hire doesn't happen. You don't want a prolonged TN type of shit show search.

Honestly, unless I have one that is seriously interested like Leach was, I go straight to a Lebby. He has the credentials of what you look for that has a higher chance of success than most other realistic options in our pool. Still a crap shoot but the credentials are there to lower the risk of a bust.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    I wish our fans (and really our entire state) didn't have this inferiority complex.

DeBoer would come here if the money was right, as would just about any coach. The only questions are:
    • Can we afford to pay him the salary it would take to get him here?
    • Even if we can afford it, should we? Is that the most optimal use of funds?
    • Can we also fend off other SEC/Big 10 schools who might want him?

Personally, I'm not sure that the answer to all of those questions is Yes (or any of them, for that matter), but the idea that we shouldn't even discuss the possibility because we're just poor little Mississippi State is a cancer on our fanbase.
    You are living in a fantasy world. Nobody is leaving Washington for ms state. Sorry. Not now they they have a place in the big ten.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DEDawg View Post
    The school pays for the coaches. Don't see these being competing factors.
    Sure it does. The money that we need to pay for players is coming from people who help pay for coaches. Sure it matters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    What? We are much more exciting to watch post Leach. We have gotten away from the checkdown passes to the RBs . Leachs offense was like the Wing- T
    If all you care about is taking a few vertical shots on offense, sure. Otherwise, no. Nobody flies around, the effort is poor, we are soft at every level, fans are apathetic, our coach is boring and repeats himself weekly, every blitz and stunt we run is telegraphed, we have defenders who don't know where to be and OL who pull the wrong way, we play with 9 people on defense. None of that is exciting. And if we finish with a losing record, that's not going to be exciting at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    And get kalen deboer. A proven winner at every level. He?s making in the neighborhood of 3.4 mil a year right now and only has a 3 year contract. He?s the answer IF we start over. I?m only for starting over IF we can get someone like that.
    Hahaha! Yea ok

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coursesuper View Post
    When are y?all gonna figure out that this is a completely new era of college football? Our job is very difficult due to the facts of, one smallest budgets in our conference, a base that will never be united behind anything, lack of NIL funding, and we are in a small state with a small population. It?s a damn hard job.
    All of those were true under Mullen and leach too (NIL funding being low equals getting out spent for players during Mullen).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Sure it does. The money that we need to pay for players is coming from people who help pay for coaches. Sure it matters.
    Seems like our admin should tell those people to but players instead of coaches.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    Here is were you have to be careful with the idea of just throwing big salary at coaches at higher programs. When they turn you down, you will be the same fans calling the job search a dumpster fire. Even though you want us to make a big money move, you will turn on the search when / if it does not work. When they all turn you down and you drop down to the correct pool of coaches that likely will come, you just set a salary expectation that you end up over paying for those type of coaches. You go throwing around a $9 MIL figure and end up with a coordinator you could have got for $3 - 4 MIL but end up paying $5-6 MIL for.

If you have a P5 HC that is a legit option AND reaches out or is willing to talk and negotiate, fine. You absolutely do that for that one coach but you had better have a clear picture of what your coaching pool reality is prior and move quickly into that pool if the big hire doesn't happen. You don't want a prolonged TN type of shit show search.

Honestly, unless I have one that is seriously interested like Leach was, I go straight to a Lebby. He has the credentials of what you look for that has a higher chance of success than most other realistic options in our pool. Still a crap shoot but the credentials are there to lower the risk of a bust.
    Well, you don't want the coaching search to get played out in the media. (I know- LOL).

I like Lebby. I think he can be very good.

But I would be a little surprised if we just go straight to him. We could certainly pull Rhett Lashley or Tyson Helton. Both have head coaching experience and SEC experience and both have MSU ties on their coaching staffs. If Helton can pull Ben Arbuckle you definitely do it. SMU's DC Scott Symons is elite.

With Lebby there is the question of what his staff is, who he would hire at DC, and etc. That said- his resume' is similar to Dan Mullen when we hired him but of course with that came some growing pains in year one- LSU and Houston 2009. I do like Lebby's offense a lot and controversial or not having Art Briles on speed dial is a good resource to have.

And if I'm in Selmon's shoes I definitely at least kick the tires on someone like Sonny Dykes and see if he wants to come to the SEC. If he says no he says no and we go in a different direction.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Seems like our admin should tell those people to but players instead of coaches.
    That's so true. We need to use that TV money on the coaches more. Would be interesting to see a breakdown which I'm sure doesn't exist.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Well, you don't want the coaching search to get played out in the media. (I know- LOL).

I like Lebby. I think he can be very good.

But I would be a little surprised if we just go straight to him. We could certainly pull Rhett Lashley or Tyson Helton. Both have head coaching experience and SEC experience and both have MSU ties on their coaching staffs. If Helton can pull Ben Arbuckle you definitely do it. SMU's DC Scott Symons is elite.

With Lebby there is the question of what his staff is, who he would hire at DC, and etc. That said- his resume' is similar to Dan Mullen when we hired him but of course with that came some growing pains in year one- LSU and Houston 2009. I do like Lebby's offense a lot and controversial or not having Art Briles on speed dial is a good resource to have.

And if I'm in Selmon's shoes I definitely at least kick the tires on someone like Sonny Dykes and see if he wants to come to the SEC. If he says no he says no and we go in a different direction.
    I'm not going to a G5 HC with only a year and a half as a HC and 11-8 record In Rhett. I want to see a 9-10 win season out of him at that level. I do like Symons, think he may move up this year.

Honestly, if Dykes didn't hit out of the blue last year then he's not really as sought after. I think he may be a one hit wonder because he's never shown that type of coaching and recruiting ability before. We will see, he is a solid coach but is not nearly good enough of a coach to warrant paying $10 MIL a year (he's making $7.5 right now with 5 more years left). There are several other coaches I'd give that too before him.

Tyson maybe, we will see how the season ends. But Arbuckle is not ready for the SEC. He couldn't move the offense against the last 2 descent PAC-12 defenses he's faced. 6 points against Arizona. No, he needs more seasoning.

If I'm dropping to G5, I'm looking closer at Traylor. He has won a lot at UTSA. Has had very very good offenses with different coordinators who have gone on from there to P5. Done a good job assembling his staffs. Shut down Kinne's offense this year. Stepped up in conference from CUSA this year and is 2-0 so far. Will see how the season ends for him but a winning record would put him high on the list.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    I'm not going to a G5 HC with only a year and a half as a HC and 11-8 record In Rhett. I want to see a 9-10 win season out of him at that level. I do like Symons, think he may move up this year.

Honestly, if Dykes didn't hit out of the blue last year then he's not really as sought after. I think he may be a one hit wonder because he's never shown that type of coaching and recruiting ability before. We will see, he is a solid coach but is not nearly good enough of a coach to warrant paying $10 MIL a year (he's making $7.5 right now with 5 more years left). There are several other coaches I'd give that too before him.

Tyson maybe, we will see how the season ends. But Arbuckle is not ready for the SEC. He couldn't move the offense against the last 2 descent PAC-12 defenses he's faced. 6 points against Arizona. No, he needs more seasoning.

If I'm dropping to G5, I'm looking closer at Traylor. He has won a lot at UTSA. Has had very very good offenses with different coordinators who have gone on from there to P5. Done a good job assembling his staffs. Shut down Kinne's offense this year. Stepped up in conference from CUSA this year and is 2-0 so far. Will see how the season ends for him but a winning record would put him high on the list.
    Great points.
    As much as I harp on the current staff, there probably is a fine line on deciding to keep what we have, but make changes in assistant coaches, get a good QB in portal, and keep some alumni feeling good to keep donating into the NIl...... V. make a brand new hire and keep NIL on board with everyone buying in on that coach.
    I hope MSU wins, because we may be limited in what we can pull from the coaching pool this season.