Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Umpire in ATL vs P

vCash

Umpire in ATL vs P

The call strikes aren?t remotely in the strike zone on TV

vCash
    Way past time to go to an automated strike zone. It's 2023. To do otherwise is to openly admit you don't care about the accuracy of ball/strike calls.

vCash
    The umps in the playoffs have all been bad this year, every series. It?s to important to miss as many calls as I?ve seen this postseason. Grissom last ab for Braves he should?ve been 3-0 instead of 1-2. Changes the whole ab and with acuna on deck, just awful

vCash
    I did some cocktailing last night before I posted, but I stand by my complaint. Sorry for the jacked up thread name, but the strike zone was way off.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Way past time to go to an automated strike zone. It's 2023. To do otherwise is to openly admit you don't care about the accuracy of ball/strike calls.
    I agree.

I also think the ump being total trash isn't an excuse for the braves to be total trash the whole series. They're too good to be that bad

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I agree.

I also think the ump being total trash isn't an excuse for the braves to be total trash the whole series. They're too good to be that bad
    Read an interesting take this morning - the difference in the past two seasons and '21 has been that the Braves haven't had a clubhouse "spark" guy = specifically Joc Pederson. Joc could do some goofy shit (like the pearls) - but he had swagger and attitude that this team seems to miss. Yeah, there are bat flips and chest bumps - but no grit. Kinda like what MSU had with guys like Jake, Mac, Rowedy and Tanner Allen. The guys that are those MFers.

Kind of reminds me of the 90s Braves - as much as I loved Chipper, he was only that MFer against the Mets, and then late in his career when they didn't have enough talent to win it all. The '90s Braves were "too professional" and rarely seemed to have a spark guy.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Ring that Bell

vCash
    The Braves offense disappearing in the post season is a time honored tradition. It's like seeing the first hummingbird in the spring and children being excited on Christmas morning. How many games started by Glavine, Maddox, Smoltz, and Avery were lost 1-0 or 2-1 in October?

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    The umps in the playoffs have all been bad this year, every series. It?s to important to miss as many calls as I?ve seen this postseason. Grissom last ab for Braves he should?ve been 3-0 instead of 1-2. Changes the whole ab and with acuna on deck, just awful
    Disagree. He was calling low "on screen" all game and those pitches were tailing down. Strike Zone is 3D not 2D and I imagine the pitches might have scuffed some part of the "official" zone, but we're well within what the Ump had been calling.

All you can ever ask an umpire is to be consistent. Looks like he scored 95% and the grissom at bat didn't include a top 3 impactful "missed call".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Disagree. He was calling low "on screen" all game and those pitches were tailing down. Strike Zone is 3D not 2D and I imagine the pitches might have scuffed some part of the "official" zone, but we're well within what the Ump had been calling.

All you can ever ask an umpire is to be consistent. Looks like he scored 95% and the grissom at bat didn't include a top 3 impactful "missed call".
    Naw he was mediocre. Those pitches from side view showed they were below the knee on grissom, not strikes. And grissom being 3-0 instead of 1-2 was a big difference. Did it cost the braves the game? No, but it would've given them a chance. The umps have been bad across the board in the playoffs, not just in this series.

ETA The braves sucked at the plate with the exception of Riley and that's the reason they lost not the umpires.
    Last edited by Commercecomet24; 10-13-2023 at 11:35 AM.

vCash
    Naw he was bad, and he didn't just miss low pitches he missed pitches off the plate as well. Those pitches from side view showed they were below the knee on grissom, not strikes. And grissom being 3-0 instead of 1-2 was a big difference. Did it cost the braves the game? No, but it would've given them a chance. The umps have been bad across the board in the playoffs, not just in this series.
    del

vCash
    I didn't watch the game and don't care about the breves or any MLB team. My comment is about balls and strikes calls generally.

"All you can ask from an umpire is to be consistent" is archaic and a poor take. That was true in 1990. Now, You can ask the for the caller of balls and strikes to be automated so that it is the exact same call and strike zone 100% of the time. Otherwise, you don't believe in accuracy.

vCash
    I didn't watch the game and don't care about the breves or any MLB team. My comment is about balls and strikes calls generally.

"All you can ask from an umpire is to be consistent" is archaic and a poor take. That was true in 1990. Now, You can ask the for the caller of balls and strikes to be automated so that it is the exact same call and strike zone 100% of the time. Otherwise, you don't believe in accuracy.
    Very good point. I honestly hated the idea of the automated strike zone but i've seen to many pitches change at bats and games. Like you said 100% accuracy should be required now, i mean if you're gonna go for getting fair/foul, safe/out right, why not balls/strikes? Of course the umpires union is extremely powerful and I doubt it happens for awhile.

Banned
    vCash

I mean yea, but we're not talking about robots. That's a different discussion. Having umpired before, my dad taught me that the only thing that matters with my zone and judgment is to be consistent. If it's consistent for both teams, then I can keep doing this and we can work on making it more accurate. If it's inconsistent, well, go back to score keeping and make a fourth of the cash lmao.

Banned
    vCash
    Naw he was mediocre. Those pitches from side view showed they were below the knee on grissom, not strikes. And grissom being 3-0 instead of 1-2 was a big difference. Did it cost the braves the game? No, but it would've given them a chance. The umps have been bad across the board in the playoffs, not just in this series.

ETA The braves sucked at the plate with the exception of Riley and that's the reason they lost not the umpires.
    I mean, this is literally what a computer would tell you. Those low and in strikes would have been called by a computer. These guys use the same statcast and ball tracking data to show whether it's a ball or a strike. The computers disagreed with the guy on 5 total pitches.

The tv box really seems screwy from what people on the internet say cause even Phillies fans expected way worse.

vCash
    The automated strike zone that was used in the Atlantic league is hilarious. Just Google Atlantic league strike zone and look at that jacked up system. Literally a ball at the guys chin was called strike 3. Also a ball that the catcher dove into the left handed batters box and missed (out of reach) was called strike 3 and the umpire had to comply with it.

This strike zone concept with computers is not the answer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    I mean, this is literally what a computer would tell you. Those low and in strikes would have been called by a computer. These guys use the same statcast and ball tracking data to show whether it's a ball or a strike. The computers disagreed with the guy on 5 total pitches.

The tv box really seems screwy from what people on the internet say cause even Phillies fans expected way worse.
    It's just like any other technology it will become way more accurate than a human being. They guy scored an 87 on called strikes that were balls, that would be a B in grading. I don't think we want a B effort deciding playoff games. I like these discussions and always enjoy your opinions, Tater, especially on baseball. I coached so long I really have a strong dislike for home plate umpires, so im probably a little biased lol! I have been known to influence a few games over the years, lol!

vCash
    I would like to say this thread sure beats the heck out of the 50 gazillion "We suck, fire Arnett" threads.

vCash
    I would like to say this thread sure beats the heck out of the 50 gazillion "We suck, fire Arnett" threads.
    Should it transition to ?we suck, fire Lemonis??

To keep it thread related

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandjunky View Post
    Should it transition to ?we suck, fire Lemonis??

To keep it thread related
    Lol you're probably right on that!

Have some rep!