Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Arnett presser

vCash
    Comparing NFL and College with any criterion you can imagine or otherwise come up with doesn't tell you much about either game. It's comparing a chicken bacon ranch with white sauce to say normal sausage and pepperoni pizza. Clearly they are both pizzas. Clearly they have some similar characteristics and use some of the same ingredients. They probably even cook in the same length of time. But they are very different experiences.
    The Liberation will not be televised--- when it arrives like lightning in the skies!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick91 View Post
    Again… you and I will not see eye to eye on this. Also, just because they are more pass happy doesn’t mean “analytics” are the cause. That was the start of our conversation. I like the spread I also like the run. I just think if you get into analytics to much you can have analysis paralysis set in.
    You have to have a staff that can apply analytics correctly to benefit from it. But if done properly it could be very useful for a team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogBear View Post
    Comparing NFL and College with any criterion you can imagine or otherwise come up with doesn't tell you much about either game. It's comparing a chicken bacon ranch with white sauce to say normal sausage and pepperoni pizza. Clearly they are both pizzas. Clearly they have some similar characteristics and use some of the same ingredients. They probably even cook in the same length of time. But they are very different experiences.
    What needs to happen is analytics needs to be more developed for college. It's starting to happen. See PFF.

There are likely some differences but I would also imagine that there are a lot more similarities in the results.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    What needs to happen is analytics needs to be more developed for college. It's starting to happen. See PFF.

There are likely some differences but I would also imagine that there are a lot more similarities in the results.
    We need to add an analytics department to the football staff. Hire some people that can sit down with the coaches and show them why they should be throwing the ball more on first and second down. I wonder if Kevin Barbay even knows what EPA is?
    #AirRaidForever!!#SwingYourSword!!#FireArnett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    We need to add an analytics department to the football staff. Hire some people that can sit down with the coaches and show them why they should be throwing the ball more on first and second down. I wonder if Kevin Barbay even knows what EPA is?
    No… what we need to do first is throw the appropriate amount of money at growth of the staff to have the amount of off the field coaches that the big programs have. I will always chose the coach dissecting game film over analytics.

Their is a reason why Saban is Saban he has the likes of Charlie Strong stuck in a room dissecting offensive game film all freaking week.

vCash
    No… what we need to do first is throw the appropriate amount of money at growth of the staff to have the amount of off the field coaches that the big programs have. I will always chose the coach dissecting game film over analytics.

Their is a reason why Saban is Saban he has the likes of Charlie Strong stuck in a room dissecting offensive game film all freaking week.
    The problem with that is that you will end up hiring coaches who have been fired, and the likely reason they have been fired is because they are too conventional. Analytics breaks conventional wisdom. There are so many things that have been considered conventional wisdom in football that have been proven wrong by analytics, such as the idea that you have to establish the running game. When we have a staff that abandons conventional thinking and embraces the use of data, that's when we will see a lot more innovation with what we do on the field.

vCash
    The problem with that is that you will end up hiring coaches who have been fired, and the likely reason they have been fired is because they are too conventional. Analytics breaks conventional wisdom. There are so many things that have been considered conventional wisdom in football that have been proven wrong by analytics, such as the idea that you have to establish the running game. When we have a staff that abandons conventional thinking and embraces the use of data, that's when we will see a lot more innovation with what we do on the field.
    So wait you are going to be the guy that pushes the button that creates nuclear Armageddon and ushers in the control of cyberdyne and skynet. Because the “analytics” said it wouldn’t happen and dammed be conventional wisdom that says “hold up let’s think about this.”

Analytics didnt drive us away from the idea of “have to establish the run” the game changing just in general to get a competitive edge did that. When you have a bunch of beef up front and LBs that weigh 260 and run a 5 flat 40. It’s pretty smart to try and spread them out and try to cover quick fast receivers. That’s conventional wisdom not analytics.

vCash
    So wait you are going to be the guy that pushes the button that creates nuclear Armageddon and ushers in the control of cyberdyne and skynet. Because the “analytics” said it wouldn’t happen and dammed be conventional wisdom that says “hold up let’s think about this.”

Analytics didnt drive us away from the idea of “have to establish the run” the game changing just in general to get a competitive edge did that. When you have a bunch of beef up front and LBs that weigh 260 and run a 5 flat 40. It’s pretty smart to try and spread them out and try to cover quick fast receivers. That’s conventional wisdom not analytics.
    Yet, you still have coaches who say "Everything starts with the running game" or "We have to establish the run." Even Arnett's "Run the ball to give the defense a rest" is straight out of conventional thinking when analytics has proven that idea incorrect.

vCash
    I’m going to put this out there and make a historical statement. The first program (NFL or college) that learns to feed AI their opponents coaches historical plays and game flow and let’s AI generate and call plays will probably win a NC before the other programs catch up to it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    I?m going to put this out there and make a historical statement. The first program (NFL or college) that learns to feed AI their opponents coaches historical plays and game flow and let?s AI generate and call plays will probably win a NC before the other programs catch up to it.
    So you're saying the Mcdonalds kiosks and walmart self checkout are coming to football, lol? Would we even need coaches at that point? Teams would definitely save a lot of money without having to pay a coaching staff, just one computer guy to feed data and let the AI call the plays and call em in to the qb or defensive play caller.

Honestly I know I'm old and I do love digging into stats but I enjoy the human element in sports even more and when the day comes that it's completely gone(and i have no doubt you're right about your statement), I'm done with sports. Might as well just play video games at that point.
    Last edited by Commercecomet24; 09-14-2023 at 11:30 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    I’m going to put this out there and make a historical statement. The first program (NFL or college) that learns to feed AI their opponents coaches historical plays and game flow and let’s AI generate and call plays will probably win a NC before the other programs catch up to it.
    I'm here for the nerd revolution in football. College football is in dire need of some hyper intelligent, analytically minded coaches who are young and unconventional.

vCash
    Baseball is so much better now that we have a better understanding of spin, spin axis, velocity, vertical approach angle, induced vertical and horizontal movement when it comes to pitching and maximizing exit velocities and swing angles with hitting.

EDIT: Also, thanks to analytics, the sacrifice bunt has almost been completely eliminated in baseball. It's always been a stupid play.
    Last edited by KB21; 09-14-2023 at 11:42 AM.

vCash
    Baseball is so much better now that we have a better understanding of spin, spin axis, velocity, vertical approach angle, induced vertical and horizontal movement when it comes to pitching and maximizing exit velocities and swing angles with hitting.
    Definitely helps the players maximize potential but there's nothing like watching a bunch of 8 year olds play who have no idea about analytics and are just having a blast playing the game. My youngest son works at a baseball facility called The Lab and he's the pitching director and they have all the latest gadgets and widgets and he's into all the high tech stuff but I sure enjoyed just taking my kids to the baseball field and just teaching them fundamentals and how to play the game the right way without all that. There's definitely a place for analytics but I kinda miss the pure joy of watching a baseball game without velos and spin rate and exit velocities and launch angles. I rewatch a lot of old world series games and just enjoy the magic of the game. Yeah I'm a dinosaur and you kids better stay off my lawn, lol.

vCash
    I'm here for the nerd revolution in football. College football is in dire need of some hyper intelligent, analytically minded coaches who are young and unconventional.
    Going to get to the point where it’s analysis paralysis like chess where you have two masters playing and they see ten moves ahead and know they are going to lose so they resign the win. We are going to have coaches coming out of halftime forfeiting the win saying “you know we ran all the analytics and pay calls with every variation of personal and play call and the computer says we cannot win. So we will forfeit.” And we as fans will be such robots that we are like, “yeh yeah that makes sense.”

vCash
    There will always be a human element because humans play the game and you just never know but AI will definitely be able to analyze trends and give coaches great gameplans

vCash
    When AI can tell me which way a football will bounce is when I will listen to it on play calling. I think it could be useful for game planning.