Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I know this won't happen- but it should

vCash

I know this won't happen- but it should

If I were in Arnett's shoes I call a meeting with the offense.

Outside of the red zone and short yardage we run our old Air Raid packages. Will calls the plays in those situations like he did when Leach was here.

In the red zone and short yardage we go to 12 and 22 personnel unless it's an extremely long situation and Barbay calls those plays.

What this would do is maximize our personnel better because we would have Tulu, Zavion, Justin Robinson, Creed, and Woody on the field most of the time. We would be able to use Walley, Roberson, and Bellezar more. Could certainly work in Wright some too.

It would cause us to be more balanced too.

Sure it would piss off Barbay but I have a feeling that he is probably gone anyway after this year.

vCash
    Yea that would not work. We would have two different playbooks and two different terminologies. We suck at one offense currently, I would prefer to not suck at two.

vCash
    "hey you know how we fired our really good OL coach because we wanted to bring in Friend who has more experience coaching run blocking, and then we spent all spring and fall practices teaching the OL new blocking schemes, and having WRs practice vs man instead of zone, and having Will learn new reads, and implementing TEs? Scrap all that, we have 3 practices to implement the full air raid vs LSU"

Just because these players ran the air raid before doesn't mean they can just go back to it. Leach himself still would have needed all offseason of practices to make his O look OK, now we've fired the whole air raid staff and you think we can pick it back up?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Yea that would not work. We would have two different playbooks and two different terminologies. We suck at one offense currently, I would prefer to not suck at two.
    True. But Leach's playbook was so small and we would be taking out the 3-4 running plays. And Barbay allegedly has some of the same plays as Leach so it's probably more doable in this instance.

vCash
    If the games were being played on PlayStation this might work.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    "hey you know how we fired our really good OL coach because we wanted to bring in Friend who has more experience coaching run blocking, and then we spent all spring and fall practices teaching the OL new blocking schemes, and having WRs practice vs man instead of zone, and having Will learn new reads, and implementing TEs? Scrap all that, we have 3 practices to implement the full air raid vs LSU"

Just because these players ran the air raid before doesn't mean they can just go back to it. Leach himself still would have needed all offseason of practices to make his O look OK, now we've fired the whole air raid staff and you think we can pick it back up?
    Should have never scrapped it to start with.

vCash
    The Air Raid sucked. I miss Leach the man, but I'd rather watch last night's offense the rest of my life than to bring back the Air Raid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Should have never scrapped it to start with.
    Should have adapted it like every other air raid guy did. More run wrinkles, a mobile QB, not as heavy pass/run ratios. We'd still keep the same 4 wide, the same routes, the same reads for Will, the OL would have new stuff to pick up but not a much as this. Should have gone with the Reilly offense.

Turns out when you coach, run, and recruit for 3 years to an offense that passes vs zone 80% of the time, it's hard to take that same personnel and have them run it 70% of the time and pass vs man the other 30%. We literally had to convert a WR to TE to line up the way the new OC wants. We do not have the personnel to run this system. We did have the personnel to run a Reilly style Air Raid

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    The Air Raid sucked. I miss Leach the man, but I'd rather watch last night's offense the rest of my life than to bring back the Air Raid.
    Why? Just personal preference?

I'll take the win, but last night may be the least amount of fun I've ever had watching us beat a P5 team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    I'll take the win, but last night may be the least amount of fun I've ever had watching us beat a P5 team.
    My sentiments exactly. We are in a world of shit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    If I were in Arnett's shoes I call a meeting with the offense.

Outside of the red zone and short yardage we run our old Air Raid packages. Will calls the plays in those situations like he did when Leach was here.

In the red zone and short yardage we go to 12 and 22 personnel unless it's an extremely long situation and Barbay calls those plays.

What this would do is maximize our personnel better because we would have Tulu, Zavion, Justin Robinson, Creed, and Woody on the field most of the time. We would be able to use Walley, Roberson, and Bellezar more. Could certainly work in Wright some too.

It would cause us to be more balanced too.

Sure it would piss off Barbay but I have a feeling that he is probably gone anyway after this year.
    It's easy to say what you would do in a situation you will never be in. I know we all think we would be great coaches, but 99.99% of us would fail spectacularly.

vCash
    Why? Just personal preference?

I agree. Atleast with the air raid, we had an identity. I don't know what we are running, but I can just about call the play 80% of the time. Marks up the middle.
    Last edited by MBDawg601; 09-10-2023 at 01:58 PM.

vCash
    We do not have to be an either or team.

The truth is the staff is not game planing to our strengths. That's not saying we have to throw it 50 times. That's saying "we have a great run game SO LONG as people respect the pass so we have to throw the ball".

We need to be as close to 50/50 as we can while taking what the defense gives us. As in, more runs vs "Team A" or more runs vs "team B"...

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MBDawg601 View Post
    I agree. Atleast with the air raid, we had an identity. I don't know what we are running, but I can just about call the play 80% of the time. Marks up the middle.
    The reason we don't have an identity is the fact we are coming from the air raid and don't have the personnel to run much else right now. Just like when Leach came in, it sucked most of the time.

When he came in I told everyone you are gauranteed 2 suck years - the first year in and first year out when he is gone. Jury was still out on what the middle would bring. Well here we are and year 1 is gonna suck on O. Thank God we can run the ball some or we'd be looking 2-10.

Banned
    vCash
    Will can't handle pressure - in air raid or regular O that much is clear. If a team is gonna blitz Will has to call an audible to get rid of ball quick not waste a play, take a sack and lose yards. A vet QB and any coaching staff should know that but we don't somehow.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    The reason we don't have an identity is the fact we are coming from the air raid and don't have the personnel to run much else right now. Just like when Leach came in, it sucked most of the time.

When he came in I told everyone you are gauranteed 2 suck years - the first year in and first year out when he is gone. Jury was still out on what the middle would bring. Well here we are and year 1 is gonna suck on O. Thank God we can run the ball some or we'd be looking 2-10.
    That is true. I guess I am really mind blown that we cannot get our top athletes the ball in space.

Zavion, Whittemore and Tulu are all top tier athletes. Slants and screens should be able to eat a defense alive with the linebackers pinning their ears back on the run.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    This all day
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    The whole idea of hiring Barbay was that he was going to play an offense base on their strengths. I haven't seen that yet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    Should have adapted it like every other air raid guy did. More run wrinkles, a mobile QB, not as heavy pass/run ratios. We'd still keep the same 4 wide, the same routes, the same reads for Will, the OL would have new stuff to pick up but not a much as this. Should have gone with the Reilly offense.

Turns out when you coach, run, and recruit for 3 years to an offense that passes vs zone 80% of the time, it's hard to take that same personnel and have them run it 70% of the time and pass vs man the other 30%. We literally had to convert a WR to TE to line up the way the new OC wants. We do not have the personnel to run this system. We did have the personnel to run a Reilly style Air Raid
    Well you said the majic word, MOBILE.

vCash
    Wow. You have forgotten the Croom years already? Last night's O was nowhere near that bad. We beat Auburn in 2007 with 217 yards of Total O on 5/18 passing for 45 yards. We got 6 turnovers that day and scored 19 points

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...meId/272580002
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is