Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I know this won't happen- but it should

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by magrooder View Post
    The whole idea of hiring Barbay was that he was going to play an offense base on their strengths. I haven't seen that yet.
    He's doing a good job of running it to Mark's strengths
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    The Air Raid sucked. I miss Leach the man, but I'd rather watch last night's offense the rest of my life than to bring back the Air Raid.
    Amen

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Wow. You have forgotten the Croom years already? Last night's O was nowhere near that bad. We beat Auburn in 2007 with 217 yards of Total O on 5/18 passing for 45 yards. We got 6 turnovers that day and scored 19 points

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...meId/272580002
    I was at the Auburn game in 2007. It's one of my all-time favorite MSU memories. Like the complete opposite of last night.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    Should have adapted it like every other air raid guy did. More run wrinkles, a mobile QB, not as heavy pass/run ratios. We'd still keep the same 4 wide, the same routes, the same reads for Will, the OL would have new stuff to pick up but not a much as this. Should have gone with the Reilly offense.

Turns out when you coach, run, and recruit for 3 years to an offense that passes vs zone 80% of the time, it's hard to take that same personnel and have them run it 70% of the time and pass vs man the other 30%. We literally had to convert a WR to TE to line up the way the new OC wants. We do not have the personnel to run this system. We did have the personnel to run a Reilly style Air Raid
    This all day.

vCash
    I think some people think you're "supposed" to win football by running the ball and being physical, and any other way of winning is inferior to that. If you approach games from that mindset, then last night's shitshow of an offense is going to be more fun the Air Raid.

However, if Leach were still alive, I can just about guarantee we would have won the game without overtime, and would have probably had at least 100 more yards of offense, maybe more. It would have been much more fun in the stands.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    I was at the Auburn game in 2007. It's one of my all-time favorite MSU memories. Like the complete opposite of last night.
    All about perspective I guess. I watched it sating thats some of the worst shit I've ever seen from a college offense. Nothing will ever top 3-2 but that turd in 2007 was awful
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    All about perspective I guess. I watched it sating thats some of the worst shit I've ever seen from a college offense. Nothing will ever top 3-2 but that turd in 2007 was awful
    That Auburn team wasn't half bad in 07. The 3-2 game in Starkville is the worst game I have ever been to.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MBDawg601 View Post
    That Auburn team wasn't half bad in 07. The 3-2 game in Starkville is the worst game I have ever been to.
    Yes, but if we'd somehow pulled out a win that day (say 5-3, since we did miss a FG in it), I think last night might have dethroned it as my least favorite P5 win.

vCash
    Well one thing I will definitely watch after the Cowboy game will be Matt Film Study.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MBDawg601 View Post
    One thing about it, You will NEVER forget it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    I think some people think you're "supposed" to win football by running the ball and being physical, and any other way of winning is inferior to that. If you approach games from that mindset, then last night's shitshow of an offense is going to be more fun the Air Raid.

However, if Leach were still alive, I can just about guarantee we would have won the game without overtime, and would have probably had at least 100 more yards of offense, maybe more. It would have been much more fun in the stands.
    And you can guarantee that how?? I've got a laundry list of games in 3 years that disagree.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by State82 View Post
    My sentiments exactly. We are in a world of shit.
    That is putting it mildly !

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    Should have adapted it like every other air raid guy did. More run wrinkles, a mobile QB, not as heavy pass/run ratios. We'd still keep the same 4 wide, the same routes, the same reads for Will, the OL would have new stuff to pick up but not a much as this. Should have gone with the Reilly offense.

Turns out when you coach, run, and recruit for 3 years to an offense that passes vs zone 80% of the time, it's hard to take that same personnel and have them run it 70% of the time and pass vs man the other 30%. We literally had to convert a WR to TE to line up the way the new OC wants. We do not have the personnel to run this system. We did have the personnel to run a Reilly style Air Raid
    That's what I mean. An Air Raid system but with some more wrinkles in it that's more modern.

vCash
    Wow. You have forgotten the Croom years already? Last night's O was nowhere near that bad. We beat Auburn in 2007 with 217 yards of Total O on 5/18 passing for 45 yards. We got 6 turnovers that day and scored 19 points

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...meId/272580002
    We had one TD drive last night over 50 yards. We got five turnovers last night and got 24 points. That's not much better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    True. But Leach's playbook was so small and we would be taking out the 3-4 running plays. And Barbay allegedly has some of the same plays as Leach so it's probably more doable in this instance.
    You do realize terminology is different right? Like every coach does not use the NCAA 14 playbook with the same terminology.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    You do realize terminology is different right? Like every coach does not use the NCAA 14 playbook with the same terminology.
    I do realize that. I kind of forgot about it when I made the post. My bad.

We do however have 4-5 WR sets and I think we should use them way more than we are. They seem to be some of our more successful plays thus far.

vCash
    The reality about the current situation at MSU is this. We have an AD that is very football-centric now. We're going to see a lot more focus on football than we have in awhile- probably since Byrne was our AD. And with that focus there is going to be a lot of it centered on the product on the field. We've long focused on the atmosphere and stuff like that and outside of a few things like needing LED lights or something it's great as is although I'm sure it will improve as well.

Back to the product on the field. I think there is going to be a big focus on making sure that what the team is doing is entertaining and is something that is going to move the needle with the media. What we are doing with Barbay the first two games isn't going to do that. One of the biggest complaints I have seen from fans on social media and other forms of media is what we are doing is boring as well as not working. Now that's not to say that we should go back to the Air Raid. But fans want to see something more explosive and in general pass plays are more explosive than run plays. Running some is fine. I think that has to be in there too. But going forward not only are we going to have to be truly balanced and probably slightly pass heavy (55-60% pass)- we're going to have to be functional with a deeper passing game too. This is the only way we're going to beat people like Alabama and LSU too- which is also going to promote our brand as well.

And with the brand I also think we're going to eventually go back to the late 1990's uniforms that everyone likes too. No more of this "Nike owns it" BS from Larry Templeton.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    If I were in Arnett's shoes I call a meeting with the offense.

Outside of the red zone and short yardage we run our old Air Raid packages. Will calls the plays in those situations like he did when Leach was here.

In the red zone and short yardage we go to 12 and 22 personnel unless it's an extremely long situation and Barbay calls those plays.

What this would do is maximize our personnel better because we would have Tulu, Zavion, Justin Robinson, Creed, and Woody on the field most of the time. We would be able to use Walley, Roberson, and Bellezar more. Could certainly work in Wright some too.

It would cause us to be more balanced too.

Sure it would piss off Barbay but I have a feeling that he is probably gone anyway after this year.
    I can't laugh at the absurdity of this hard enough. It's ridiculous on so many levels. You can't run two completely different offenses well. The terminology, the schemes, nothing is the same. Not only that, you have an offensive staff that largely has zero idea how to run that gimmick offense. Asking Will to run it is ridiculous. He needs to be spending his time learning this offense.

Also, it completely undermines the offensive coaching staff, especially the OC. If a head coach did that to me, I'd immediately resign. Then I'd go to the nearest sports reporter and say exactly why I resigned. No OC worth a single darn would ever want to work for that HC. You let your coaches coach. If they screw up, so be it. But trying to micromanage them is suicidal. This offense will be fine once we have a QB that can actually run it.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    I can't laugh at the absurdity of this hard enough. It's ridiculous on so many levels. You can't run two completely different offenses well. The terminology, the schemes, nothing is the same. Not only that, you have an offensive staff that largely has zero idea how to run that gimmick offense. Asking Will to run it is ridiculous. He needs to be spending his time learning this offense.

Also, it completely undermines the offensive coaching staff, especially the OC. If a head coach did that to me, I'd immediately resign. Then I'd go to the nearest sports reporter and say exactly why I resigned. No OC worth a single darn would ever want to work for that HC. You let your coaches coach. If they screw up, so be it. But trying to micromanage them is suicidal. This offense will be fine once we have a QB that can actually run it.
    At this point we have a pass first QB and we also have a run first QB on the roster. So far we haven't been able to use either one correctly. So outside of a unicorn at QB I'm not sure what is left?

vCash
    It might be possible is the NCAA allowed them to practice 4 hours a day..........