Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sunday Morning Thoughts

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EdwardDrayton View Post
    Not sure these posts would look any different had we lost. Two weeks of the same issues. We just played an inferior opponent that gifted us turnovers.
    If we lost, there'd be more discussion about us missing a bowl game and firing Arnett. But we won, so the focus is on how much better we need to get instead of the season being over

vCash
    You have to look beyond the top level stat. Yes, he threw for 162 yards. BUT, for example, the pass to Pittman was to the LOS and Pittman ran the 29 yards. Will really is not doing much through the air.
    Really? Cause I watched KJ Jefferson throw many screens (including this weekend) into the dirt!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSailsDawg View Post
    Really? Cause I watched KJ Jefferson throw many screens (including this weekend) into the dirt!
    https://www.footballdb.com/college-f...9&sort=passpct

KJ was a 68% passer last season, averaged over 2 more yards per attempt than Will, and obviously has way more running ability
    Last edited by the_real_MSU_is_us; 09-10-2023 at 10:55 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by defiantdog View Post
    Parson may be the man next season so he needs some reps for sure
    Ah not this again. Do you guys not remember the Sawyer talk? KT talk? Etc..

vCash
    OK. Will can throw a screen pass. We've found our messiah.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    https://www.footballdb.com/college-f...9&sort=passpct

KJ was a 68% passer last season, averaged over 2 more yards per attempt than Will, and obviously has way more running ability
    Had nothing to do with my point. The QB's job is to pass the ball on passing plays. The plays called were Barbay's calls and on those Will was 76%. And that doesn't take away from the fact that he throws passes in the dirt on simple screens or behind the LOS.

vCash
    OK. Will can throw a screen pass. We've found our messiah.
    And throw down field.

He was called on to throw 4.2 passes per quarter. That's stupidity. It does not allow a QB to get into the rhythm and it allows a defense to key on the run. Even still, the QB was 76%. Barbay made us 1 dimensional last night.

vCash
    The defense was not the problem

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post

We got Arizona's A+ game with a very competent head coach in Jed Fisch. Barbay grossly underestimated what we were going to see out of Arizona's defense. And kudos to AZ for the portal upgrades.
    They turned the ball over 5 times. Its hard for me to say that they played an A+ game.

I still cant believe they committed five turnovers and we still had to go to OT to beat them. Its mind boggling.
    Last edited by HancockCountyDog; 09-10-2023 at 11:14 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    I haven't seen us blitz this much since Joe Lee Dunn ..... too many times we sent BOTH linebackers and paid the price.... that just shouldn't happen with a defensive HC like Arnett - he could have taken the initiative and stopped some of it.
    We get zero pressure from our DL. If we dont blitz, we cant get pressure. Its that simple.

vCash
    And throw down field.

He was called on to throw 4.2 passes per quarter. That's stupidity. It does not allow a QB to get into the rhythm and it allows a defense to key on the run. Even still, the QB was 76%. Barbay made us 1 dimensional last night.
    Will CANNOT throw downfield! From the eye test to his arm strength to 3 years of Y/A being worse than any other Leach QB shows he can't push the ball

I agree on Barbay. We need to fix the offensive strategy then fix QB play when Will fails to hack it. But for now, OC is the bigger problem

vCash
    Had nothing to do with my point. The QB's job is to pass the ball on passing plays. The plays called were Barbay's calls and on those Will was 76%. And that doesn't take away from the fact that he throws passes in the dirt on simple screens or behind the LOS.
    What the F is your point? You bring up JK missing short passes to say he's inaccurate but then dismiss the fact he's got the same comp % as Will!

KJ throws 68% with over 8 Y/A. Will throws it 68% with 6 Y/A. Id rather ave the QB thowing 68% overall and hitting downfield passes than 68% overall and hitting short stuff. Especially when JK is a runner too.

KJ is a much better QB by the stats. He did have an awful game yesterday though. Still had more yards than Will

vCash
    Will CANNOT throw downfield! From the eye test to his arm strength to 3 years of Y/A being worse than any other Leach QB shows he can't push the ball

I agree on Barbay. We need to fix the offensive strategy then fix QB play when Will fails to hack it. But for now, OC is the bigger problem
    Think we saw we averaged 5.3 yards per attempt last season. 130th in the FBS. Maybe he can throw downfield? But it's clear he's not doing so consistently.

We're not for or against Will. We just want the personnel on the field that gives us the best chance to win. We seem to be trying to mollify EVERYONE with our approach. That is deadly.

vCash

He can and does. The internet would bes have a story that they stick to but lives in non reality.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    They turned the ball over 5 times. Its hard for me to say that they played an A+ game.

I still cant believe they committed five turnovers and we still had to go to OT to beat them. Its mind boggling.
    We didn't capitalize on a couple of those turnovers. We let Arizona hang around instead of putting the dagger in their heart. We go up 28-0 in the second quarter and it's a different ball game.

Everybody's A game is different. Alabama's A game dwarfs our A game. Fisch was not put in panic mode b/c our offense couldn't put two of those turnovers in the end zone. He didn't need to change the game plan. I think some people need to realize Fisch is a good coach. He's not a Butch Jones or Jeremy Pruitt. He's been coaching in some form or fashion in college football for 25 years.

vCash
    He can and does. The internet would bes have a story that they stick to but lives in non reality.
    Statistically, he does not. Almost every previous Leach QB threw deeper with the same offense

Again, all your posts revolve around defending Will.

Please, share the stats that say Will throws it deep and does it well and I'll change my views.

vCash
    Think we saw we averaged 5.3 yards per attempt last season. 130th in the FBS. Maybe he can throw downfield? But it's clear he's not doing so consistently.

We're not for or against Will. We just want the personnel on the field that gives us the best chance to win. We seem to be trying to mollify EVERYONE with our approach. That is deadly.
    415 610 3,974 68.0 6.5 75 35

Just because the average is low does not mean inaccuracy down field. It means we played the Air Raid system which is to throw it a lot and higher % passes are the main stay.

vCash

Just because the average is low does not mean inaccuracy down field. It means we played the Air Raid system which is to throw it a lot and higher % passes are the main stay.
    In another thread last week I broke down the stats for every previous Leach QB. No names like Potts, borderline 2 stars etc almost all had higher Y/A than Will and a higher QBR.

Can't blame the Air Raid when Will also falls short vs other Leach QBs

EDIT: And another thing, the Air Raid is not the run and shoot. It absolutely expects real passes. If no real pass is there yes you check down to the 5 yard pass the D is giving you, but the start of the offense is a dropback and 4 verts for crying out loud. Leach asks the QBs to go deep first and check down after the first 3-4 reads. DOn't act like Leach wants his QBs to stay within 10 yards of the LOS and Will was the ideal QB
    Last edited by the_real_MSU_is_us; 09-10-2023 at 11:49 AM.

vCash

I see that a little differently. Your offense plays to your strengths. If you have a QB who can consistently execute downfield, no coach on the planet is going to not utilize it simply because it's not in a system's playbook. That's false logic.

vCash
    Statistically, he does not. Almost every previous Leach QB threw deeper with the same offense

Again, all your posts revolve around defending Will.

Please, share the stats that say Will throws it deep and does it well and I'll change my views.
    Sure. This season, he has had 2 TDs where the ball traveled in air over 20 yards.

in 2022, He had 9 TDs where the ball traveled 20 yard in air or more. Between 10-19 yards in air, 15 Tds. A total in those ranges of 24 TDs. That means 38% was deep ball throws that resulted in TD.

2021... 10 TDs of 20 or more in air. and 12 between 10-19 yards. About 50% of the TDs were deep shots.

In 2020, Rogers never threw a TD that was 20 or more yards. Not 1. and had only 8 that was 10-19.
    Last edited by BlackSailsDawg; 09-10-2023 at 11:57 AM.