Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: How long is the leash?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSailsDawg View Post
    It's like insantiy has set in. It's as bad as saying he won't take shots down field because he cant... and we all know that's not true.
    What is true is that Will doesn?t target down the field. He pads his accuracy stats by targeting mostly behind the line of scrimmage.

He took 7 shots 11 yards or deeper and was 3 for 7. 2 of those completions were right at 10 or 11 yards.
    Last edited by CoachT14; 09-07-2023 at 07:43 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    The thing about the Egg Bowl is most of his bad plays were when he was running the ball and fumbled. And yes, of course we all remember his INT that was bad but passing he wasn't bad. 27/39 (69%) with 2 TD's and 1 INT for 239 yards isn't bad at all from a pure passing standpoint. He also made some pretty clutch plays too- pass to Tulu to get the TD before the half and of course he hit RaRa for the other TD. The first TD drive of the game Will was very good too.
    https://youtu.be/_32sspKCF8Y?si=mxJ3IhNd-yjQ_2ZC&t=312

Down 2. 3rd Q. 3rd and 2 from the OM 38. Prime 4th down territory. Will drops back. defender comes free infront of him. He could heave it out of bounds, but he'll take a hit. Instead, he literally RUNS STRAIGHT TOWARD HIS OWN ENDZONE and gets sacked at our own 48. 14 yards lost vs throwing it away, and a chance at a 4th down conversion lost. All because he's scared to take a hit. "oh he was trying to make a play!"? No, no he wasn't. I've never seen a QB literally sprint toward his own endzone, nobody is coached that, nobody thinks "let me run 10 yards straight at my own endzone to avoid this pressure". That was panic, not a football play.

Conversely, he's capable of being surgical with the ball. But he's never scared and surgical. It's one or the other. He was scared vs SELA. The running game and the defense and special teams and even Wright made that game a blowout, not Will. If he plays surgical going forward, that's awesome. But there's a side to will that doesn't fly vs SEC defenses and you never know what % of drives in a game will be which Will. He's the starter so if he's got all the opportunity in the world to perform

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    lol C34 is going 4 wide every play of that game and you want to lecture him on the need to throw the ball?

Where did he say you don't need to throw the ball to win? And to flip it around, you need to run the ball to win too, which is why ever Air Raid disciple has been forced to add run concepts and be more balanced. Leach was the last of his kind and even he added more run stuff to combat SEC defenses and recruited Parson.

Will will throw it 67%, won't turn the ball over, but will have a low yards per attempt and no ability to gain yards on broken plays, avoid pressure, or make the defense account for him.

Wright will throw for a higher yards per attempt, be able to make something out of broken plays, forces the defense to account for him, but only throws it 57% and will kill some drives by by missing wide open men due to inconsistency. He will turn it over more than Will but he's not a TO machine either. He's Fitz. But we would have won 10 games with Fitz in '18 if we had a coach that understood his team.

I'm sorry but the situation is clearly not black and white. Both have strengths and weaknesses. If Will plays bad he'll eventually get benched. If he plays good Wright will stay the change of pace guy. End of story.
    haha- nice response. 34 runs to 26 passes last week. I'm a "get the ball to your best players guy"

Nobody wants a guy that cant pass at all and that is not who Wright is. aGAIN- he completed 57% of his passes last season at Vandy.

I hope Rogers adjusts and the offense rolls. I'm just saying- if it doesnt- Wright is a very good option for us to go to and we will still move the ball to win games. Mullen did it here for 9 seasons and had better offenses than we had under Leach
    Last edited by Coach34; 09-07-2023 at 08:06 PM.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Last edited by the_real_MSU_is_us; 09-07-2023 at 08:43 PM.

vCash
    https://youtu.be/_32sspKCF8Y?si=mxJ3IhNd-yjQ_2ZC&t=312

Down 2. 3rd Q. 3rd and 2 from the OM 38. Prime 4th down territory. Will drops back. defender comes free infront of him. He could heave it out of bounds, but he'll take a hit. Instead, he literally RUNS STRAIGHT TOWARD HIS OWN ENDZONE and gets sacked at our own 48. 14 yards lost vs throwing it away, and a chance at a 4th down conversion lost. All because he's scared to take a hit. "oh he was trying to make a play!"? No, no he wasn't. I've never seen a QB literally sprint toward his own endzone, nobody is coached that, nobody thinks "let me run 10 yards straight at my own endzone to avoid this pressure". That was panic, not a football play.

Conversely, he's capable of being surgical with the ball. But he's never scared and surgical. It's one or the other. He was scared vs SELA. The running game and the defense and special teams and even Wright made that game a blowout, not Will. If he plays surgical going forward, that's awesome. But there's a side to will that doesn't fly vs SEC defenses and you never know what % of drives in a game will be which Will. He's the starter so if he's got all the opportunity in the world to perform
    This is the ugly play still seared in my mind along the fumble on the OM 4. I want Will to replace those with some spectacular plays this year to make it a great year! Hail State!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    This is the ugly play still seared in my mind along the fumble on the OM 4. I want Will to replace those with some spectacular plays this year to make it a great year! Hail State!
    Exactly, he's capable of making great throws! I'm hard on him and call it like I see it, but I've also seen undefendable beautiful touch throws and an amazing comback vs Auburn. It's in there and I hope he finds it again
    Last edited by the_real_MSU_is_us; 09-07-2023 at 08:38 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CoachT14 View Post
    What is true is that Will doesn?t target down the field. He pads his accuracy stats by targeting mostly behind the line of scrimmage.
    Guess, if we force Wright to throw only 10 yards or less, he likely will be an accurate "passer" too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vindastra View Post
    Guess, if we force Wright to throw only 10 yards or less, he likely will be an accurate "passer" too.
    It’s easy to be called accurate when 19 of your pass attempts are 9 yards or less. That means nearly 3/4 of his passes were 9 or less or behind the line of scrimmage.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CoachT14 View Post

He took 7 shots 11 yards or deeper and was 3 for 7. 2 of those completions were right at 10 or 11 yards.
    And will be the starter the rest of the year unless injured.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    haha- nice response. 34 runs to 26 passes last week. I'm a "get the ball to your best players guy"

Nobody wants a guy that cant pass at all and that is not who Wright is. aGAIN- he completed 57% of his passes last season at Vandy.

I hope Rogers adjusts and the offense rolls. I'm just saying- if it doesnt- Wright is a very good option for us to go to and we will still move the ball to win games. Mullen did it here for 9 seasons and had better offenses than we had under Leach
    And he also threw an INT for every 3 TDs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSailsDawg View Post
    And he also threw an INT for every 3 TDs
    let's add those rushing TD's in as well to make it 17 TD's with 4 picks. His 7.28 yards per carry was also higher than Roger's yards per pass that was last in the SEC among starters.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Thank you for the stats.

Lets look at career stats for starting Leach QBs:

Will (2020-2022): 6.5 Y/A, QBR 139

Anthony Gordon (2019): 8.1 Y/A, QBR 157

Garner Minshew (2018): 7.2 Y/A, QBR 148

Luke Falk (2015-2017): 7.1 Y/A, QBR 142

Conner Halliday (2012-2014): 6.9 Y/A, QBR 132 --> the QB leach inherited when he want to WSU, not a Leach recruit and Leach benched him repeatedly

Taylor Potts (2009-2010): 7.1 Y/A, QBR 140

Graham Harrell (2006-2008): 7.9 Y/A, QBR 154

Cody Hodges (2005): 7.9 Y/A, QBR 148

Sonny Cumbie (2004): 7.3 Y/A, QBR 139

BJ Symons (2003): 8.1 Y/A, QBR 151

Kliff Kingsburry (2000-2002): 6.6 Y/A, QBR 133 ---> Not a leach recruit, Fr season was before Leach was hired

Only 3 QBs with a sub 7 Y/A: the QB Leach inherited at TTU, the QB leach inherited at WSU, and Will... with WIll being the lowest of the 3.

EDIT: adding Fitz and Wright as a comparison to each other:

Fitz in 2017: 55.6%, 6.2 Y/A, 117 QBR

Wright 2022 Vandy: 57.4%, 6.6Y/A, 134 QBR.

SO Iv'e been calling Wright Fitz, but he's a better passer. And according to some here, he's gotten better since getting to campus too.
    Well we only attempted three deep passes against SELU. Not sure whose fault that is- Will or the OC or probably some of both.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    I may not be remembering correctly but was this is the play that was when the ball was snapped before Will was ready?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Well we only attempted three deep passes against SELU. Not sure whose fault that is- Will or the OC or probably some of both.
    Out of those three deep I blame will for two of them. They were horribly overthrown. Is it timing on the route idk but they have to clean them up. Must hit on them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick91 View Post
    Out of those three deep I blame will for two of them. They were horribly overthrown. Is it timing on the route idk but they have to clean them up. Must hit on them.
    One of the two the receiver was double covered too.