Thread: My take on the game

vCash

My take on the game

1) on offense for the first 3 drives, we were substituting 3-4 players almost every snap. Probably good reason for this but it appeared to have us out of rhythm. Barbay was probably wanting A) to show a lot of different formations for teams to have to prepare for and B) to see what different guys could do in a game situation. Once we gave up the score, we substituted less and looked better. When you substitute, you can?t go fast because the defense is allowed time to sub as well.

2) Offensive line got little to no push against an FCS front until mid-way through the third when SELA wore down. This is a concern. It does usually take a few games for the o-line to gel especially when it?s a new offense, but you expect to get push against that front.

3) The defense was very vanilla in our blitz package until after SELA scored. You expect to stay conservative early in the season against a lesser opponent so teams coming up don?t see your best blitzes. It is a concern we couldn?t get home vs a FCS o-line rushing 4. Arnettes best aspect of his Defense is the exotic blitzes in passing downs. We have them in the playbook and looked like a completely different defense when we started getting more aggressive.

4. I was concerned Zavion didn?t play. Someone in the stands said he had a nasty gash from practice from cleats and that they had patched him up and he practiced again later in the week but the gash was opened up again and so they held him out.

5. The tight ends need work. Harmon did have the one catch but I?m not sure he was lined up at TE for that play.

6. The secondary wasn?t tested so we still don?t know what he have there. SELA didn?t have the athletes to test us deep and we were conservatively dropping deep on passing downs in the first half and they hurt us with dump offs over the middle.

7. Williams was the first DL off the bench and played well. He looks like a man bear pig out there.

8. Will didn?t look comfortable out there for the most part. Let?s give him a cpl more games before we call for his head. Wright is a weapon and another aspect defenses will have to prepare for.

9. Need to start saving money now to keep Whittemore after this season. He will be all sec before his career is over. Hope it?s with state.

10. Kick coverage looked great. That was awesome to see and freshman place kicker was a pleasant surprise.

11. Marks is outstanding and made something out of nothing several times.

vCash
    Also, if Bookie stays healthy, he will likly be our team MVP. He is fantastic in pass rush, a great leader, and a fantastic MLB. I can see him being selected in the first three rounds of next years draft. It?s almost like a light came on for him during the egg bowl last year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbub50 View Post
    Also, if Bookie stays healthy, he will likly be our team MVP. He is fantastic in pass rush, a great leader, and a fantastic MLB. I can see him being selected in the first three rounds of next years draft. It?s almost like a light came on for him during the egg bowl last year.
    I hope so for him, but he is pretty slow. You can see it during the games. Extremely smart and physical so makes up for it, hope it translates to the NFL. Maybe a 4-3 team picks him up