Thread: Coaches (Sideline vs. Booth)

vCash

Coaches (Sideline vs. Booth)

Interesting that none of our main coaches on Defense will be in the booth. I guess they are just going to rely on GAs?

ASSISTANT COACHES Gameday Location
    Kevin Barbay (Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks) SL
    Chad Bumphis (Wide Receivers) SL
    Will Friend (Offensive Line) SL
    Tony Hughes (Associate HC/Running Backs) PB
    Mike Schmidt (TE/Tackles/Run Game Coord.) PB

Matt Brock (Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers) SL
    Brett Dewhurst (Safeties) SL
    Darcel McBath (Cornerbacks) SL
    Eric Mele (Special Teams Coordinator) SL
    David Turner (Defensive Line) SL

https://static.hailstate.com/customp..._SLU_NOTES.pdf
    Last edited by BHildreth3; 08-29-2023 at 09:33 AM.

vCash
    I've always thought as a play caller, put me in the booth. See the puzzle pieces so much better. Bad for in game communication with players though.

vCash
    Could it be that CZA, being a first time HC, feels more comfortable having his coordinators with him on the sideline for quicker/easier collaboration?

vCash
    Barbay was on the sideline at App State and CMU.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    Barbay wants to be on the field so he can feel the game.

I don't really care one way or another, it's a coach's preference really, but could see DC more so than OC like to feel the game on the sidelines.

vCash
    I think the last time we had coordinators in the booth was Moorhead. The DCs for Dan were always on the field after Year 1 and Dan was the de facto OC

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    I think the last time we had coordinators in the booth was Moorhead. The DCs for Dan were always on the field after Year 1 and Dan was the de facto OC
    Moorhead was also the de factor OC.

I suspect Getsy was simply his eyes in the sky so to speak.

vCash
    I'm in the booth this season for the first time since 2004 and its going to take some getting used to. I dont like it because I have to rely on the position coaches to relay messages. Also at some HS fields you dont have the view you need. But if I were a college OC- especially at the SEC level- I'd be in the booth.

I dont have a problem with Barbay being on the sideline- Mullen called plays from the sidelines for years as do many other coaches. It's more prominent with younger coaches. Older, veteran coaches get that maturity and dont have to control everything- so you see these guys in the booth alot more
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is