Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: We traded UGA RaRa for Goede

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    My biggest concern about Will is will he actually put the ball up or will he just check it down if he is somewhat unsure.

There were a LOT of times when we had someone open deep and Will just couldn't pull the trigger. I know we may have more designed shots but we can't force Will to pull the trigger in real time.

I think he should have had more confidence in himself to take the shots more personally. Your stats bear out why.
    More man coverage will lead to more shots. Or should anyway. Despite the "air raid" being a QB's dream... Barbary's offense is far more "deep shot" friendly

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Georgia by a lot
    No Signature

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    More man coverage will lead to more shots. Or should anyway. Despite the "air raid" being a QB's dream... Barbary's offense is far more "deep shot" friendly
    I'm not saying the opportunities won't be there. My concern is the guy actually pulling the trigger.

I think part of the issue we had is Will is risk averse which is not the worst thing. But it also limits opportunities for big plays.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverCityDawg View Post
    Why do you have the "up to 20 yards" caveat for #2?
    because I've watched him throw a football for 3 years now
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Rogers has been very accurate on passes over 20 yards. He didn't chunk a lot of long bombs because of the offense, but his completion percentage last year of 42.5% on passes 20+ was great, and his PFF passing grade for passes 20+ was 90.3, which is elite. He was even better in 2021 at 45.3% and a 92.4 PFF passing grade.
    A QB throwing a 7 yard route that turns into a 21 yard passing play is not the same as a QB making a throwing from the opposite hash for an 18 yard gain at the sideline.

I think he will do fine throwing some longer passes this Fall because he can put air under them on PA and such. He wont have to drill balls into deep windows as much in this offense

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    A QB throwing a 7 yard route that turns into a 21 yard passing play is not the same as a QB making a throwing from the opposite hash for an 18 yard gain at the sideline.

I think he will do fine throwing some longer passes this Fall because he can put air under them on PA and such. He wont have to drill balls into deep windows as much in this offense
    You nailed it on all points Coach! That 15 yard out to the opposite hash is what separates the men from the boys. That throw has to be on a line or it will picked or knocked down.

vCash

Those stats were based on yards in the air. Try again.

The throw to the opposite hash for 18 yards is 1) Not related to passes over 20 yards and 2) More about pure arm strength, which is a different argument from the "accurate on passes up to 20 yards" comment I was addressing.

vCash
    Vertical passing game doesn't require elite arm talent, you can compensate with trajectory. In the horizontal passing game it's a pick 6 if you don't get it there quickly.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    Those stats were based on yards in the air. Try again.

The throw to the opposite hash for 18 yards is 1) Not related to passes over 20 yards and 2) More about pure arm strength, which is a different argument from the "accurate on passes up to 20 yards" comment I was addressing.
    Nothing about his arm is "elite". Anybody watching him with football knowledge sees that. Is he a good college QB? Absolutely. He's like a McElroy or AJ McCarron from Bama

vCash
    Nothing about his arm is "elite". Anybody watching him with football knowledge sees that. Is he a good college QB? Absolutely. He's like a McElroy or AJ McCarron from Bama
    I am only addressing your caveat on his accuracy earlier in this thread that he's only accurate on passes under 20 yards. I'm making no other claims on his arm talent other than the fact that his accuracy extends beyond 20 yards as proven by statistics and data. The rating given to him by PFF on passes 20+ yards are elite. I'm not saying that, their rating system and the raw data says that.

It's okay to say he doesn't have elite arm talent overall (in large part because his arm strength is average), but he does have elite accuracy. Those things can coexist.