Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ice we skate is gettin pretty thin, water's gettin warm so you might as well swim

vCash
    Its the volcanos

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    They change with the times. By my degree from State, I'm a scientist. I just chose a different path for my career. Scientists are all over the place. Growing up in the 70's, we were told another "ice age" of sorts was gonna happen. At lease a lot colder temps. Then we were destroying the ozone by eating holes in it from aerosols. Now the ozone layer has healed itself too good and greenhouse gases cant escape causing temps to rise.
    What WILL happen is it will change again. The earth will continue to do what it does on its own. And "scientists" will jump on the next money making research bandwagon. Gotta get those govt grants!!!!
    Couple things:

1) just having a science degree doesn't make one a scientist...scientists do research (and publish) or some other type of R&D (also typically published, or at least part of some type of research program).

2) the reason you don't hear about the ozone much anymore is because the global community came together and addressed it (mostly) by phasing out/baning many of the fluorocarbon gasses that were causing the problem. A win for science!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Couple things:

1) just having a science degree doesn't make one a scientist...scientists do research (and publish) or some other type of R&D (also typically published, or at least part of some type of research program).

2) the reason you don't hear about the ozone much anymore is because the global community came together and addressed it (mostly) by phasing out/baning many of the fluorocarbon gasses that were causing the problem. A win for science!
    I did a research paper/presentation years ago on fluorocarbon gases and the ozone.

vCash
    I did a research paper/presentation years ago on fluorocarbon gases and the ozone.
    In middle school?***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    In middle school?***
    Hahaha!! Nice!

vCash
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    It's this, it's that, it's whatever, it's George Bush. It's ****ing hot as **** is what it is. People are doing anything they can to try to rationalize or downplay this shit. It is hot as hell and it scares the hell out of me. We're about at the peak of what we can take. My AC has flipped a breaker multiple times this year. It simply can't keep up. I don't know about 1930 whatever, but there's no way 2011 or any other year in my life has been anything like this year in Mississippi. Going over 100 degrees the has always been a pretty uncommon event in the Jackson area. For weeks it's been awesome if it's under 100. The other day it was 90 outside and it felt like spring compared to this 104 daily shit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy dawg View Post
    It's this, it's that, it's whatever, it's George Bush. It's ****ing hot as **** is what it is. People are doing anything they can to try to rationalize or downplay this shit. It is hot as hell and it scares the hell out of me. We're about at the peak of what we can take. My AC has flipped a breaker multiple times this year. It simply can't keep up. I don't know about 1930 whatever, but there's no way 2011 or any other year in my life has been anything like this year in Mississippi. Going over 100 degrees the has always been a pretty uncommon event in the Jackson area. For weeks it's been awesome if it's under 100. The other day it was 90 outside and it felt like spring compared to this 104 daily shit.
    We go over 100 a lot more than you are thinking. 2000 and 2007 both have higher recorded temp than we've had so far. 2000 we had 106, 107 on back to back days. The 4 hottest recorded days in Jackson, 107, were in 1925 twice, 1930, and 2000. I do think we get close to that this week. I remember the 1980 summer where we had a lot of unseasonal temp days.

vCash
    2011 it was 100 or higher almost every day of August. Hottest I've ever been
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    We go over 100 a lot more than you are thinking. 2000 and 2007 both have higher recorded temp than we've had so far. 2000 we had 106, 107 on back to back days. The 4 hottest recorded days in Jackson, 107, were in 1925 twice, 1930, and 2000. I do think we get close to that this week. I remember the 1980 summer where we had a lot of unseasonal temp days.
    I remember 1980 to well! I had a summer job helping clear land for one of my dads friends and then playing ball in the evenings. That's one of the hottest summers ever!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I remember 1980 to well! I had a summer job helping clear land for one of my dads friends and then playing ball in the evenings. That's one of the hottest summers ever!
    It was brutal. Worked a Christmas tree farm cutting and trimming during the day and playing ball at night.

vCash
    It was brutal. Worked a Christmas tree farm cutting and trimming during the day and playing ball at night.
    Funny how so many of us from that era grew up the same way. Wasn't no sitting in the house playing video games in the ac, lol! That summer was smokin' hot and i'd give anything to be in that kind of shape again!

vCash
    Funny how so many of us from that era grew up the same way. Wasn't no sitting in the house playing video games in the ac, lol! That summer was smokin' hot and i'd give anything to be in that kind of shape again!
    Ha! Yeah nobody played video games, we couldn't afford one anyway. Both sets of my grandparents didn't even have A/C. I would spend time with them over the summer and help when the gardens were coming in. You just dealt with it. But my cousins and I could work all day and run all night. Best shape I was ever in.

vCash
    Pushed wheelbarrow loads of brick and mud for brick layers. I was 6?2? 175# not an oz of fat lol. Worked 10 to 12 hr days.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Travelingdawg View Post
    Pushed wheelbarrow loads of brick and mud for brick layers. I was 6?2? 175# not an oz of fat lol. Worked 10 to 12 hr days.
    Dang right you had no fat on you. It couldn't cling to all the sweat anyway. Ha

vCash
    Ha! Yeah nobody played video games, we couldn't afford one anyway. Both sets of my grandparents didn't even have A/C. I would spend time with them over the summer and help when the gardens were coming in. You just dealt with it. But my cousins and I could work all day and run all night. Best shape I was ever in.
    We grew up exactly the same!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy dawg View Post
    Here in middle Tennessee, it was much hotter last summer. We've had some hot days but we had weeks of it last year. Last week our highs were upper 80's. Next week they saying mid 80's for high.

vCash
    I was fortunate. I got the opportunity to work on my uncle's tobacco farm in South Georgia that summer. It was awesome. ***

vCash
    Here in middle Tennessee, it was much hotter last summer. We've had some hot days but we had weeks of it last year. Last week our highs were upper 80's. Next week they saying mid 80's for high.
    Come on back down to Jones County Downward and we can fix that fall weather for you, lol!

vCash
    Come on back down to Jones County Downward and we can fix that fall weather for you, lol!
    Hahahaha!!! Uuummmmm.........NOPE!!!!