Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Coach 34

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 99jc View Post
    no it is not getting hotter, the oceans are only 4 degrees warmer than normal. the polar caps are melting, and sea creatures are dying by the millions due to the increased water temp. come on man!
    I know in 1980, there was a heat wave in SE Arkansas where the high was over 100 (sometimes well over) for more than 30 consecutive days. It was a record. My dad had 2 weeks of vacation planned in the middle of that 30 day run and decided it was a great time to cut fire wood. That was 2 miserable weeks. You probably could have convinced young me that global warming was real and imminent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    https://www.epa.gov/climate-indicato...ce-temperature

See- this is where people go off the reservation. The oceans are 1.5 degrees warmer than it was 120 years ago
    right now the main bodies of water surrounding the USA is 4 degrees warmer than normal...Weather channel this week!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    .... Talk about roughing the passer I played against Reggie Collier and everyone knew he had a weak collarbone. Think I and everyone else hit that shoulder after every play. And they still beat the crap out of us. Gene Lang had a Sprained ankle and yep that got twisted in the dog pile.
    My old man played high school ball back in the early 40's. He told me they had wooden cleats that screwed into their shoes and the big thing back then was to screw in the cleats and beat your shoes against concrete to bust them and leave the screw heads sticking out. Made for some good stomping and raking.

Speaking of weight programs, we lifted during school but I don't recall any lifting during the summer, at least not until right before school started because we all had jobs. I didn't haul hay but I did haul watermelons in south Mississippi and because of that, heat during two-a-days was never an issue for me. I hated the morning practices. I don't mind being wet with sweat or wet with rain. I couldn't stand getting wet with dew from the morning stretches. I'd itch all through practice.

vCash
    Catholic schools usually started last week of Aug and got out before Memorial day. Pub Schools always 1st week of June. Ole Notre Dame in Biloxi never had AC and was right next to the Biloxi Sewage plant and the discharge bayou. Afternoon practice always had a certain smell to it esp after 5 when everyone got home and flushed their commodes. But we did have the best "grass" growing behind the Gym.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjoelner34 View Post
    My old man played high school ball back in the early 40's. He told me they had wooden cleats that screwed into their shoes and the big thing back then was to screw in the cleats and beat your shoes against concrete to bust them and leave the screw heads sticking out. Made for some good stomping and raking.

Speaking of weight programs, we lifted during school but I don't recall any lifting during the summer, at least not until right before school started because we all had jobs. I didn't haul hay but I did haul watermelons in south Mississippi and because of that, heat during two-a-days was never an issue for me. I hated the morning practices. I don't mind being wet with sweat or wet with rain. I couldn't stand getting wet with dew from the morning stretches. I'd itch all through practice.
    Did you go to George County??

vCash
    Hard times make hard men. Easy times make weak men.

Lot of truth in these comments, I think the country would be better if some of us young ens had grown up under tougher conditions.

... I'm still keeping my AC though, and am not afraid to hit an old man who comes for it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Did you go to George County??
    Mount Olive

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjoelner34 View Post
    Mount Olive
    George County is famous for its Watermelons

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Yep same here. Also folks think athletes were so much better now days which many are but back in our day toughness was required. No such thing as roughing the passer, crack back blocking allowed, blocking below the waist allowed (or knees), no running out of bounds and I could go on like playing both ways on offense and defense.
    Can't tell how many times I was tackled with spearing and piling on. LOL but so true. Crazy times, not only no water at practice.
    Very little to no weight training, we trained working summer jobs such as cutting grass with sling blade for the county and such.
    My youngest daughter is a nurse, she says I'm too old to be riding 25 miles in this heat. I just laugh as I know my body signs pretty well. Good moving is important.
    Ha, crack back block--sent many kids home.. how about the old head slap.it was rough on a center. Kids now days probably couldn't figure how to use a sling blade---there was a technique to it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NWADAWG View Post
    I know in 1980, there was a heat wave in SE Arkansas where the high was over 100 (sometimes well over) for more than 30 consecutive days. It was a record. My dad had 2 weeks of vacation planned in the middle of that 30 day run and decided it was a great time to cut fire wood. That was 2 miserable weeks. You probably could have convinced young me that global warming was real and imminent.
    Yep, Summer of 1980. 100+ degree heat for several weeks w/ zero rain. My grandfather was constantly watering his garden. Didn't have to worry about cutting grass. It was dead.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Yep, Summer of 1980. 100+ degree heat for several weeks w/ zero rain. My grandfather was constantly watering his garden. Didn't have to worry about cutting grass. It was dead.
    It was that way in GA too. Record of 105 in Atlanta for 3 straight days. We had no AC and spent the entire summer at my Dad's best-friends house who had a pool AND AC. My Dad kept him in beer on the weekends and we essentially lived at their house.
    My Dad bought some cheap inflatable canoes and they would have PBR fueled races to see would lap the pool fastest. We moved at the end of that summer to a house with AC plus my elementary schooled added it - it was like we had died and gone to heaven after that heat wave.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    That’s what reminded me about 2011. Didn’t have to cut the yard for about a month
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is