Thread: Drove through campus and town today - disappointed

vCash

Drove through campus and town today - disappointed

Downtown, Main Street has had recent - and ongoing - construction for several blocks. Lots of gravel and patches on the pavement. Especially bad near Spring Street Cigars/Restaurant Tyler.

Campus is not in good shape. Drive by the Palmeiro Center going to the Seal Center and it's like those bushes never get any trimming or weeding. Pitiful.

The stupid idea of limiting Bailey Howell Avenue to one lane each direction starting at the Sanderson Center and going past the Hump looks half-assed. They are trying to landscape their way out of a bad design but even it looks thrown together. Rolls of sod awaiting installation are on site and I'm sure that'll help but my goodness...

The roads around the Hump - the one that was relocated towards the Sanderson Center is still partially there. Roads to nowhere dotting the area.

And lastly, the Hump doesn't look like it's going to be through in three months.

Why weren't some of these projects done earlier in the summer so it won't be a cluster when students arrive.

Hoping somebody can give some sort of encouragement that it's coming together better than it seems to me.

vCash
    Where's Doc and his uniform brown paint when we need him?*******

vCash
    As someone who has to go downtown every day, the road work has been a pain basically all summer. Ready for them to back it up.

I think they are setting up for a total disaster with basketball traffic this year. Maybe football traffic too, though I have never really parked on that side of campus for FB. I either park somewhere on Stone Blvd or walk from downtown.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    Where's Doc and his uniform brown paint when we need him?*******
    The General had the guts to pull the trigger on Templeton, so despite everything else I will not say anything negative about the man because he saved our sports with that one move.
    WHY IS EVERYONE YELLING?!?

vCash

It'll never be done on time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Istvan Teleky View Post
    Downtown, Main Street has had recent - and ongoing - construction for several blocks. Lots of gravel and patches on the pavement. Especially bad near Spring Street Cigars/Restaurant Tyler.

Campus is not in good shape. Drive by the Palmeiro Center going to the Seal Center and it's like those bushes never get any trimming or weeding. Pitiful.

The stupid idea of limiting Bailey Howell Avenue to one lane each direction starting at the Sanderson Center and going past the Hump looks half-assed. They are trying to landscape their way out of a bad design but even it looks thrown together. Rolls of sod awaiting installation are on site and I'm sure that'll help but my goodness...

The roads around the Hump - the one that was relocated towards the Sanderson Center is still partially there. Roads to nowhere dotting the area.

And lastly, the Hump doesn't look like it's going to be through in three months.

Why weren't some of these projects done earlier in the summer so it won't be a cluster when students arrive.

Hoping somebody can give some sort of encouragement that it's coming together better than it seems to me.
    It looks the same almost every year June-the first week of August. The Hump construction has just made everything on that side look more of a cluster than normal.

vCash

If it disappoints you so bad next time take the bypass!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 99jc View Post
    I appreciate a poster that expects our campus to look like a well manicured golf course. That's the way it should be! We are in the business of attracting students from all the world and a good first impression means everything. I went to Purdue for a sporting event around 2008. Was a tornado warning in the area so they directed everyone to the basketball arena. We entered in the arena from the docking bay (basement). You could have eaten off the floors of that place. The whole campus was that way... everything manicured and spotless. Made a hell of a first impression on me.

vCash

Drove thur campus approx 3 weeks ago...it is a cluster
    Exit after basketball games will be interesting.
    Paarking for basketball and baseball and now football.....what were/are they thinking.
    Idol minds are dangerous

vCash
    I went to several basketball games last season while the update was in progress. Looks to me that more of the renovation $ is being spent on the outside than the inside of the Hump. Will we even get cupholders on the seats?

vCash

Great Idea, 99

Quote Originally Posted by 99jc View Post
    Ignore it and it'll get fixed. Just pretend it doesn't exist, right?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgoneyall View Post
    Drove thur campus approx 3 weeks ago...it is a cluster
    Exit after basketball games will be interesting.
    Paarking for basketball and baseball and now football.....what were/are they thinking.
    Idol minds are dangerous
    You think somebody was thinking !!!!!!!

vCash
    I was there yesterday moving my youngest in. I thought campus looked good. Grass was well cut, landscaping looked good. Yes some construction spots but that is the price of progress and signs of maintaining your facility.

I've been to LSU and other SEC schools in summer and they looked like a cow pasture.

vCash

Pictures would have helped..

vCash
    Folks spending free cash don't act the same as we would if it were our money..........

vCash
    I'm not sure the point of this exercise? I mean, in order to grow, build bigger and nicer things you have to have construction and with that comes a mess. No way to avoid it. But y'all carry on w the complaint fest

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    I'm not sure the point of this exercise? I mean, in order to grow, build bigger and nicer things you have to have construction and with that comes a mess. No way to avoid it. But y'all carry on w the complaint fest
    The part that bothers me has nothing to do with the construction. Several years ago when the bypass opened, MDOT agreed to pay for (I am sure it was federal or state grant money) and plant several trees and plants along hwy. 12 that runs to the west side of campus all the way to Chick fil A. MDOT is not responsible for the upkeep of them. That falls on either the city or MSU or both. There are all kinds of weeds and new growth inside those areas that look terrible and nothing ever seems to get done.

vCash

Correct on that campus entry from Starkville on Highway 12!

Quote Originally Posted by speedy1972 View Post
    The part that bothers me has nothing to do with the construction. Several years ago when the bypass opened, MDOT agreed to pay for (I am sure it was federal or state grant money) and plant several trees and plants along hwy. 12 that runs to the west side of campus all the way to Chick fil A. MDOT is not responsible for the upkeep of them. That falls on either the city or MSU or both. There are all kinds of weeds and new growth inside those areas that look terrible and nothing ever seems to get done.
    Either City needs to really step it up or MSU needs to take over Highway 12 from Spring Street to at least Highway 182. Was there week ago and its not as anyone would want it.

Never underestimate first impressions on the perception of something including our campus!

Side note: The Highway 182 entrance to campus looks great!

vCash
    Life is tough when you are inconvenienced, must have added 2 minutes to your drive.