Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Todd and other baseball gurus...

vCash

Todd and other baseball gurus...

do we expect any freshmen pitchers to give us a little help on the mound? I dont really keep up with recruiting in any sport anymore- just like to wait to see them when they get here and make my own observations.

I see Grant and Dotson are highly rated. It would be nice if they could be used in midweeks and mop-up only this coming Spring and allow the normal growth for a freshman.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Reilly Byers has a good chance to help us out in the bullpen and he is underrated by a lot of our fans. Nolan Stevens is a dual position guy that may pitch and the staff will have to figure out what is best for him whether it's P/1B/OF. A lot of people like him as a pitcher. Most scouts like him as a first baseman. Dane Burns is another one that most don't talk about very much but he is another LHP. Those three and Grant and Dotson are the main ones that have the best chance to contribute as freshmen.

vCash
    Keep an eye on Dotson. He clinched a State title with a 1 hit, 11K Complete Game as a Sophomore, and they have played for the past 2 state titles and lost (Jeff Blauser's kid hit a walk off in game 3 in '22).
    PG ranks him highly - but I like kids who are exposed to playing for titles. Adds expectations. And this kid has won for a team that plays at a very high level.
    Last edited by BrunswickDawg; 07-26-2023 at 07:29 AM.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Concerning Grant, I was constantly seeing stuff on Twitter, mostly from Perfect Game for the last couple of years and it looked like he was pretty highly thought of, making all star games and such.

I’m thinking his height and being a RHP kept him from being drafted. He has a good arm though. He is probably the typical freshman that we have been talking about that needs to be worked along slowly the first year and then take a bigger role from there.

vCash
    I don't see Fr contributing a ton. Not in SEC play. We've got a couple Juco arms that will be getting a bunch of innings and a couple injured guys back. Grant has a ton of potential.
    Last edited by Cooterpoot; 07-26-2023 at 09:33 AM.

vCash
    Can someone please Post all the pitchers that are on our active roster now going into next year. It just doesn't seem like we are any deeper than a year ago....

vCash
    For what it's worth...In south Carolina last year, they signed 5 Freshman pitchers.

- 2 Highly rated guys pitched 50 innings, but almost exclusively in midweek
    - 3 other guys did not pitch very much

From Sophomores:

- 2 Kids pitched quite a bit (+50 innings)
    - 4 guys did not play much.

USC had a good pitching staff and results in 2023. They actually had the 5th best SEC-Only ERA. Ahead of on staff-ERA compared to LSU and Florida. 2nd best on Walks, almost half as much as MSU. 120 fewer runs allowed relative MSU, only got run-ruled 3 times.

USC used lots of arms, nobody with an crazy ERA or 1:1 BB to Innings Pitched. Also, their recruiting is really not better or worse than MSU's. Similar pedigree dogs, Parker had them playing better than Fox.

vCash
    S Carolina recruits at our level? I figured we recruited better than them.

I was just talking to a friend today. Both of us pretty pessimistic about getting Holman. I told him that I bet we have as much as or more talent on our current pitching roster than the gamecocks had last season. Our guys were young last year but got a lot of experience. Devils advocate may say we shot their confidence last year, but let?s hope not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbub50 View Post
    S Carolina recruits at our level? I figured we recruited better than them.
    Last 4 recruiting classes:

2020- LSU#2, Candy- 3, Fla-5, SC- 6, UPig-9, Georgia-12, Auburn 14, State- 17
    2021- Fla #1, Candy-3, LSU-4, Tenn-5, Bama-6, UPig-9, A&M-12, State-14, Aub-16, SC-26
    2022- LSU#1, Mississippi-2, State-5, Aub-6, Tenn-9, UPig-10, Bama-11, Candy- 12, A&M-17, SC- 18
    2023- UPig- #1, Candy-2, Fla-5, Mississippi-6, Bama-7, State-8, Aub-9, LSU- 12, Tenn- 14, A&M- 17, SC- 25

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Last 4 recruiting classes:

2020- LSU#2, Candy- 3, Fla-5, SC- 6, UPig-9, Georgia-12, Auburn 14, State- 17
    2021- Fla #1, Candy-3, LSU-4, Tenn-5, Bama-6, UPig-9, A&M-12, State-14, Aub-16, SC-26
    2022- LSU#1, Mississippi-2, State-5, Aub-6, Tenn-9, UPig-10, Bama-11, Candy- 12, A&M-17, SC- 18
    2023- UPig- #1, Candy-2, Fla-5, Mississippi-6, Bama-7, State-8, Aub-9, LSU- 12, Tenn- 14, A&M- 17, SC- 25
    For the benefit of the unwashed (including myself), who is "Candy"? Please tell me your real name is not David Murray. He was always to king of writing in riddles.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by schddog72 View Post
    For the benefit of the unwashed (including myself), who is "Candy"? Please tell me your real name is not David Murray. He was always to king of writing in riddles.
    Vandy - I'm guessing it was an autocorrect

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripp McNeely View Post
    Vandy - I'm guessing it was an autocorrect
    Coach has nicknames... this ain't a new one

vCash
    This may be a news flash to some of you but just because State has a great stadium does not mean that they are getting everything else right. A lot of work left to be done to play at the level that you think is automatic. Everybody in the SEC is now funneling resources into baseball in significant amounts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Dawg View Post
    This may be a news flash to some of you but just because State has a great stadium does not mean that they are getting everything else right. A lot of work left to be done to play at the level that you think is automatic. Everybody in the SEC is now funneling resources into baseball in significant amounts.
    Yep. Having all of this cool sparkly stuff doesn’t hurt but it doesn’t help if your coaching staff doesn’t know how to use any of it and improve a player’s performance. The kids that we have to get, especially out of the portal want coaches that will help their draft status. That is most important to them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Dawg View Post
    And we fell off the cliff and now we are playing catch up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    First step in that catch up should have been to fire the driver that wrecked the bus the last 2 times he drove, but some here want to give lemonis a 3rd chance. Oh well. Hope we use the saved buyout money for something good because it isn't being used on baseball NIL

vCash
    What do we expect from:

Stone Simmons, Starter?
    Brooks Auger
    Pico Kohn, is he back ready in Fall Ball?

vCash
    Pico had surgery what- 5 months ago? Don’t see him throwing this Fall.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    LSU won the Natty and are scrambling to add an SEC SP.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    LSU won the Natty and are scrambling to add an SEC SP.
    And now they've got one in Hollman.

That's our point: we win a Natty, loose the studs that got us there, do nothing to replace them, finish 14th next year, do nothing to fix the team, finish 13th the next year

LSU wins the Natty, looses the studs that got them there, and immediately get studs from the Portal to replace them. What do you want to bet they're a top 6 team in the SEC next year and finish above us?

Johnsons success in the portal is only highlighting Lemos failures as a HC