Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What caused Foxhall?s fall?

vCash

What caused Foxhall?s fall?

I?ve seen it mentioned that he checked out at some point. When did he check out and what caused it? I was told that he was missing tryout camps and workouts and I?ve seen stuff here that seemed to verify that without the posters coming out and saying it.

Or was it just an approach that wasn?t working with the pitchers that he had?

vCash
    Not adjusting to the smaller strikezones is one thing/

vCash
    Bednar and Sims were dominant with a high 4-seamer and a slider. Not everybody is Bednar or Sims and he tried to make everybody Bednar and Sims. How many high zone 4-seamers got sent 400 feet the opposite direction in 2022?

vCash
    Prob best to close this one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Prob best to close this one.
    I don't care much about the topic, but what's wrong woth discussing the failings of a fired former coach? We discussed Mullins lazy recruiting plenty, or Canns extra marital activities, or Moorheads inability to discipline the team, so why not discuss where Fox failed?

vCash
    I got killed for it, but I said Foxhall was never good. Beat that drum until it was realized by all. He got Bednar here and a couple good pen guys but he never was a great coach. I appreciate he got those guys. That's about it for me. I won't mention the other stuff.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjoelner34 View Post
    Bednar and Sims were dominant with a high 4-seamer and a slider. Not everybody is Bednar or Sims and he tried to make everybody Bednar and Sims. How many high zone 4-seamers got sent 400 feet the opposite direction in 2022?
    Anybody can coach Bednar and Sims. Coaches earn their money with what they are able to do with guys like Hunt, Smith, Holcombe, Presto, Fristoe, Pico, Stinnett, etc

The last 2 seasons have killed us with injuries, lack of depth, and lack of development. Too many guys that needed time to develop or were projects were being thrown into the fire before they were ready. Then throw in that we have failed basically with pitchers from the portal and here we are.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    I got killed for it, but I said Foxhall was never good. Beat that drum until it was realized by all.
    Yeah, people got mad at me in 2021 for talking about how we left pitchers in too long before making a change. We got away with it then- not so much in 22 or 23

vCash
    He was an average coach at best

I just wonder why Lemonis didn?t try to keep Henderson at least for a year as PC

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandjunky View Post
    I just wonder why Lemonis didn?t try to keep Henderson at least for a year as PC
    After getting passed over for the head job- no way Henderson was staying

vCash
    Hunt and Stinnett are the two best examples of guys who were in the program a long time under Foxhall and should have major contributors.

vCash
    His fascination with the slider and the mentality behind it imo.

The slider is great, but not all sliders are created equal. Bednar and Sims could throw their slider in any count because it was an elite pitch for them. It's not that for everyone else. Not everyone has the stuff to be strikeout or bust type guys.

We didn't throw a lot of change ups. We don't throw sinkers or cutters. Why? Throw that shit in the zone and let your defense work. If I'm a guy that can't top 92 mph with my FB, why not put some spin on it and make it cut to make it tougher on the hitter? I'm not gonna serve my flat and slow fastball and only mix it up with my slider.

I think that's one of the areas Fox fell short

vCash
    The age-old adage, it's about the Jimmy's and Joe's not the x's and o's applies in this case. Had we signed Skenes, we'd likely hosted and Fox would still be here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
    The age-old adage, it's about the Jimmy's and Joe's not the x's and o's applies in this case. Had we signed Skenes, we'd likely hosted and Fox would still be here.
    Skenes was a once in a generation pitcher- if not the best SEC pitcher in modern history. Once LSU offered- he was going there

vCash
    From my 30000 foot view, Skenes was too arrogant to survive the Air Force and just arrogant enough to pitch for LSU. I?m just not sure Skenes would have worked out at State the way he did at LSU. Foxhall would have had him throwing 80% sliders and he would have walked a dozen per game.😳😳

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    From my 30000 foot view, Skenes was too arrogant to survive the Air Force and just arrogant enough to pitch for LSU. I?m just not sure Skenes would have worked out at State the way he did at LSU. Foxhall would have had him throwing 80% sliders and he would have walked a dozen per game.😳😳
    Skenes was not arrogant. Give me a 17n break! Why would you go pitch at Air Force and then go active duty before you can get out and pitch!? Wtf man?! The guy is supremely gifted at a job everyone on this board would give their left nut to be able to be a fraction of as good!

Maybe foxhall would have 17d him up
    But I have my doubts. He handled our pro caliber pitchers very well. We all
    act like he was an idiot, however when he had talent close
    to, but not as good as Skenes, he was awesome. Our talent 17n sucks and some guys will tell you otherwise, but it isn?t to our level. Neither is the culture. That?s a Lemonis problem, not a foxhall problem. He was the sacrificial lamb.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPMT View Post
    Skenes was not arrogant. Give me a 17n break! Why would you go pitch at Air Force and then go active duty before you can get out and pitch!? Wtf man?! The guy is supremely gifted at a job everyone on this board would give their left nut to be able to be a fraction of as good!

Maybe foxhall would have 17d him up
    But I have my doubts. He handled our pro caliber pitchers very well. We all
    act like he was an idiot, however when he had talent close
    to, but not as good as Skenes, he was awesome. Our talent 17n sucks and some guys will tell you otherwise, but it isn?t to our level. Neither is the culture. That?s a Lemonis problem, not a foxhall problem. He was the sacrificial lamb.
    Academy players don't have to serve.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Academy players don't have to serve.
    17 yeah they do. Graduate and your are definitely committed to active duty. In rotc it was post sophomore year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPMT View Post
    17 yeah they do. Graduate and your are definitely committed to active duty. In rotc it was post sophomore year.
    Well up to 5 years ago the players had to at least serve with a Reserve Unit to fulfill their terms of service if they were drafted, David Robinson and Napoleon McCallum . But when I asked a West Pointer who currently plays for the Lookouts how he was serving he told me that they don't have to receive their commission until later. As a former Army Officer, INF/AVN, I'm still wondering how this affects their career paths because they aren't commissioned yet but then again their year growp doesn't start till they raise their right hand. But getting back to FoxHall Harding is down here for a series in Biloxi and I'll ask him tomorrow what he thinks of him..
    Last edited by parabrave; 07-16-2023 at 01:09 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Yeah, people got mad at me in 2021 for talking about how we left pitchers in too long before making a change. We got away with it then- not so much in 22 or 23
    You could make an argument that his poor pitching staff management in Omaha cost Jake and co a National Championship when we brought in Trysten Barlow and Riley Self instead of Colby White against Vanderbilt.

I remember Riley Self's sister came at me on Twitter over it. Even in 2021 we were essentially really only down to four pitchers- Bednar, Sims, Harding, and Preston Johnson and maybe Chase Patrick. MacLeoud got injured and Fristoe regressed from a guy who threw a no hitter to basically a no show in the postseason. Cerentola never developed either and we trot him out there way too much. Better pitching staff management and that team might have been a 50 win team in the regular season.