Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wide receiver

vCash

Wide receiver

Who else beside Tulu will be our starters at receiver? Who projects as back ups?

vCash
    J Robinson will be a starter as i imagine J Walley will.... Z Thomas will get a lot of reps

vCash
    Yea unless Freddie Roberson has a dominant fall camp like Polk did in 2021 and takes over a spot, our starters will be Robinson and Walley outside with Tulu in the slot.
    "We will have no problem in handling Kentucky."-Turfdawg67. MSU suffered a 27-17 defeat in 2022 with 225 yards in total offense.

vCash
    I think Zavion should start over Walley. Both will play a lot though.

X- Roberson
    Slot- Tulu
    Slot/outside- Zavion
    Z- Robinson
    5th guy-
    Walley

Also I think Creed Whittmore will play a good bit as a freshman.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msu15 View Post
    Yea unless Freddie Roberson has a dominant fall camp like Polk did in 2021 and takes over a spot, our starters will be Robinson and Walley outside with Tulu in the slot.
    I'm very high on Roberson. He was what we missed last year at WR.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I think Zavion should start over Walley. Both will play a lot though.

X- Roberson
    Slot- Tulu
    Slot/outside- Zavion
    Z- Robinson
    5th guy-
    Walley

What went on with Walley? He was a freshman All American.

vCash
    I'm very high on Roberson. He was what we missed last year at WR.
    Good to hear. I honestly haven't watched any clips on him, need to research.
    "We will have no problem in handling Kentucky."-Turfdawg67. MSU suffered a 27-17 defeat in 2022 with 225 yards in total offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    What went on with Walley? He was a freshman All American.
    Nothing. We just had a lot of receivers all the sudden

vCash
    Got to beat man coverage

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Got to beat man coverage
    I hope we see lots of man. That would indicate teams are respecting the run game and we are being unpredictable in our play calling (throwing when defense is thinking run). Our offense has seen nearly zero percent man defense since Leaches opener against LSU.

Also, defenses don?t usually call man as much against running qb?s which our starter is not one. We should see more man in 1 qtr than leach did in one season. I could be wrong though, have been before.

vCash
    I hope to see more separation by the receivers in this new offense. If not, it's a lack of talent against SEC DB's, not the offense.

vCash
    I really like our Top 6 guys (Tulu, Robinson, Walley, Zavion, Mosley, Roberson). Our depth after that group is iffy, so health will be important. Really hate Harvey’s situation, he was a good player and I wish we could still use him. It may result in someone like Whittimore playing as a true freshman when he might have redshirted.

Having said that, how we do rotations is just going to look a lot different. Leach rotated A LOT. I do not think Barbay will do it as much, meaning your starters will be on the field more often than they used to be.

vCash
    Also, keep in mind that TE?s being back means we will play fewer 4 WR sets. And I do think it is going to be important that Goode and Spivey give us at least something.
    Last edited by Captain Falcon; 07-22-2023 at 08:26 PM.

vCash
    Who are you going to take off the field to play him?
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbub50 View Post
    I hope we see lots of man. That would indicate teams are respecting the run game and we are being unpredictable in our play calling (throwing when defense is thinking run). Our offense has seen nearly zero percent man defense since Leaches opener against LSU.

Also, defenses don?t usually call man as much against running qb?s which our starter is not one. We should see more man in 1 qtr than leach did in one season. I could be wrong though, have been before.
    Teams played man free against us a lot last year. Illinois did it 99 percent of the snaps. We could not get open consistently and our outside WRs wanted no part of it

To me it is a lot easier to stop the run out of zone and adding one to the box or at least having even numbers. Eyes are in a better place to play the run. When you go man your eyes are on your man. Cant ask a safety or OLB to key the back and their man at the same time
    Last edited by BuckyIsAB****; 07-22-2023 at 09:09 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Falcon View Post
    Also, keep in mind that TE?s being back means we will play fewer 4 WR sets. And I do think it is going to be important that Goode and Spivey give us at least something.
    They will. We are going to go 12 personnel some. Its the hardest to defend in my opinion

vCash
    Teams played man free against us a lot last year. Illinois did it 99 percent of the snaps. We could not get open consistently and our outside WRs wanted no part of it

To me it is a lot easier to stop the run out of zone and adding one to the box or at least having even numbers. Eyes are in a better place to play the run. When you go man your eyes are on your man. Cant ask a safety or OLB to key the back and their man at the same time
    Yea, Illinois did. Maybe I was too strong on the zone only. Based on my unexpert opinion, we saw over 90 percent drop 8 (outside the red zone) from leach?s first year against AKansas until last season vs, Kentucky where they gave a drop 8 look pre snap and brought a backer to warm our seat. Then bama did the same thing plus pressing our wr?s and going man in 3rd/4th and shorts. After that, we did start seeing more man press in short yardage situations. And Illinois ran a lot of man (with safeties over the top, of course). Good call.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Who are you going to take off the field to play him?
    I do not expect him to start. But I do think he will get some reps and when I say a good bit I mean 10-15 snaps a game. Especially on third downs situations where we need to move the sticks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbub50 View Post

I suspect you will see a lot of teams doing a lot of different things and mix things up to defend us. It is very possible to run some type of zone coverage and also defend the run. The thing that concerns me the most is teams bringing a lot of pressure from different places with an offensive line trying to adjust to a new scheme. Will is going to be key in recognizing that and potentially checking into a different play or something hot to alleviate that.

What we're going to be running is not exotic at all and our fans need to realize that this is something that DC's see every week.

The best way to play call IMO is not necessarily to pass in running situations or vice versa because if you do that with these teams with all of these analysts things will become tendencies even if they are unconventional. Therefore the best thing to do is attack match ups or weaknesses in the defense whether that's individual or the unit as a whole. When things are equal- defer to analytics in situations and more often than not we will be "right" unless we fail on our end. That and use tempo when you can.

vCash
    They will. We are going to go 12 personnel some. Its the hardest to defend in my opinion
    12 personnel has always been my favorite base formation. If you have 2 TE's that can handle all of their responsibilities effectively it's a matchup nightmare in the early downs.