Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Picked last in the SEC WEST by 247

vCash
    Lather, rinse, repeat. We'll never be picked high and always to finish last or near last. OM will always be picked higher than us even if they suck. Just two things you can count on every year.

Now how we finish is a different story. I like the underdog view, the Dawgs tend to like it too.

vCash
    There’s an excuse to pick State last every year. New coach, new OC, new offense, new color jersey, it didn’t rain, etc. it’s always something. Picked last because Leach was our coach. Picked last because we lost Leach as our coach. End of the day it’s because we have the smallest fanbase in the west and their revenue is generated by clicks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    There’s an excuse to pick State last every year. New coach, new OC, new offense, new color jersey, it didn’t rain, etc. it’s always something. Picked last because Leach was our coach. Picked last because we lost Leach as our coach. End of the day it’s because we have the smallest fanbase in the west and their revenue is generated by clicks.
    This is the correct answer, except we have the 2nd smallest fanbase in the West. Ole Miss is the smallest, but they pay for all of this preseason love they get every year.

vCash
    Even if we struggle on offense I still think we will be OK because I think the defense will pick up the slack.

That has certainly happened to us before- see Joe Moorhead's first season.

The only way I see us having a bad year is if we struggle on both sides of the ball. I guess that could happen- but I don't think it will. Mostly because we have a ton of experience coming back.

One thing about Barbay is IF he really does adapt to his personnel and since he doesn't claim to have an offensive identity we could certainly run some of Air Raid stuff we do well and probably be fine if we had to. No guarantee that's how it plays out but I guess it's on the table. I know he has said that he Y-Cross and I would imagine he has four verts in the playbook at least. If he adds Y-stick and mesh in there which may be in already he'll have over half the playbook in!**

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Even if we struggle on offense I still think we will be OK because I think the defense will pick up the slack.

That has certainly happened to us before- see Joe Moorhead's first season.

The only way I see us having a bad year is if we struggle on both sides of the ball. I guess that could happen- but I don't think it will. Mostly because we have a ton of experience coming back.

One thing about Barbay is IF he really does adapt to his personnel and since he doesn't claim to have an offensive identity we could certainly run some of Air Raid stuff we do well and probably be fine if we had to. No guarantee that's how it plays out but I guess it's on the table. I know he has said that he Y-Cross and I would imagine he has four verts in the playbook at least. If he adds Y-stick and mesh in there which may be in already he'll have over half the playbook in!**
    This is the biggest key. Defensively we are going to be just as good, if not better, than last year with all we return. Just having the same offensive production as we had last year will get us 7 wins.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msudawg1200 View Post
    This is the correct answer, except we have the 2nd smallest fanbase in the West. Ole Miss is the smallest, but they pay for all of this preseason love they get every year.
    Never ending cycle, we get negative bias in these preseason predictions because we don't buy enough subscriptions or give enough clicks and then in protest we boycott them by buying less subscriptions and giving less clicks and the cycle is reinforced. Best thing is just don't worry about it because it will never change.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    This is the biggest key. Defensively we are going to be just as good, if not better, than last year with all we return. Just having the same offensive production as we had last year will get us 7 wins.
    Some would argue that we don't have a replacement on the roster for cam young, Forbes, or wheat.
    Some would add jalen green and Jackie Matthews to that list.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Some would argue that we don't have a replacement on the roster for cam young, Forbes, or wheat.
    Some would add jalen green and Jackie Matthews to that list.
    Forbes I will agree with. However, the others are replaceable imo. But I also think that D Cam having to play opposite of Forbes last year grew him up in the same way Forbes grew up playing opposite Emerson and Emerson grew up playing opposite Dantzler.

vCash
    Forbes I will agree with. However, the others are replaceable imo. But I also think that D Cam having to play opposite of Forbes last year grew him up in the same way Forbes grew up playing opposite Emerson and Emerson grew up playing opposite Dantzler.
    Every team replaces key pieces every year. We have plenty of talented/ SEC quality athletes stepping in. If you swapped the State logo for about any other team logo in the west the media would be praising the move to keep our coaching staff largely intact and calling for a 8-9 win season.

Banned
    vCash
    We were noticeably a step faster on defense during the spring game. Looked like we had "SEC speed" that I haven't seen out of the spring game since 2018. Maybe it's maroon colored glasses.

vCash
    You might be underselling us at 7 wins considering our schedule is easier this year. I'm fully expecting us to win 9 games no matter what the offense does. With a chance at 10.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Neither times were first time HC. O had already coached before and so had Notre Dame guy. Arnett, to the best of my knowledge, has never been a HC before including peewee football.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Wheat was a DUDE. I can?t wait to see what new DUDE becomes a force.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    You might be underselling us at 7 wins considering our schedule is easier this year. I'm fully expecting us to win 9 games no matter what the offense does. With a chance at 10.
    I have us at 8-4 just because I don’t love having so many toss ups on the road with a first year head coach, but I can be talked into 9-3 I think.

Right now I feel like we lose to LSU, Bama, and at Auburn (just a weird hunch on that one). I tend to think we lose one more beyond that but can’t pinpoint which one, and I definitely think we have a chance in the LSU and Auburn games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Boy, you know Arnette is lovin this.... he is going to remind them boys daily
    If there is a year for them to have a chip on their shoulder, it is this year. This will feed it nicely. Make the talking heads eat their words.

vCash
    Hmmm, do you see a pattern here? Same for DL - yall know the long list.

Anyone who questions our D talent can't be taken too seriously. Really

I been watching State be dominate in D for almost 50 years minus a few down years but that is one side of ball we can handle. Yes there is a 2016 year and couple other bad years butr in 50 years - Bama has those gaps.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    Wheat was a DUDE. I can?t wait to see what new DUDE becomes a force.
    Oh and those dudes are there. Can't wait to see who shows up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Hmmm, do you see a pattern here? Same for DL - yall know the long list.

Anyone who questions our D talent can't be taken too seriously. Really

I been watching State be dominate in D for almost 50 years minus a few down years but that is one side of ball we can handle. Yes there is a 2016 year and couple other bad years butr in 50 years - Bama has those gaps.
    Rarely have we been dominant defensively. Certainly have not been under arnett. We've been good though.

vCash
    8-4 would be a good year. Schedule is tough.

LSU at home. Being early and at 11am gives us a shot- but will be a tough one.
    SC on the road will be a tough one with them having a vet QB
    Auburn on the road will be tough
    A&M on the road will be tough
    UPig on the road will be tough
    Mississippi for the Egg is always tough

I'll take 8-4 right now. Our SEC road schedule is really tough. Could go 0-4 there (but I dont think we will)
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicDawg View Post
    If there is a year for them to have a chip on their shoulder, it is this year. This will feed it nicely. Make the talking heads eat their words.
    I agree that Arnett will be able to use this as bulletin board material but we have to remember that recruits and their parents see these predictions too. People who dont know any better just think Ole Miss is better than us because they spend some much time (in the preseason) in the top 25. They dont ever notice that Mississippi State FINISHED ranked because the media moves on from the final rankings right back to the next years preseason ranking. This can influence perception and perception can influence recruiting.

We need more MSU people in national media. Thank God for Brandon Walker but we need more national names to correct the record on Mississippi State. Is there anyone up and coming in the media that can fill that void?
    Last edited by Reason2succeed; 07-17-2023 at 12:46 PM.