Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Biggest Concern for FB 2023

vCash

My Biggest Concern for FB 2023

I have been watching a lot of Kevin Barbay from AppState and CMU which has left me with little to no concern about our offense.

However, what is our secondary going to look like. It?s not like they were great the last couple of years outside of the corner position. We have a new safeties coach and are replacing the entire unit basically.

I am happy that there are not a lot of returning pass first QBs we are facing but even a team like Arizona could be problematic if our secondary is sketchy.

Someone please tell me something to alleviate my fears.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    I'm there with you. We cause a lot of disruption behind the line, so that will help if we can continue that.

I'm not sold on our D line group either. After crumedy, nobody is proven.

vCash
    Losing Forbes and Tyrus Wheat is going to be something hard for us to replace. John Lewis looks like he has potential though to be a play maker.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reason2succeed View Post
    I have been watching a lot of Kevin Barbay from AppState and CMU which has left me with little to no concern about our offense.

However, what is our secondary going to look like. It?s not like they were great the last couple of years outside of the corner position. We have a new safeties coach and are replacing the entire unit basically.

I am happy that there are not a lot of returning pass first QBs we are facing but even a team like Arizona could be problematic if our secondary is sketchy.

Someone please tell me something to alleviate my fears.
    I think the concerns are fair. What I keep going back to is how most of us thought our defense was going to be crap in 2020 and Arnett got the very best out of them, exceeding most people's expectations by a mile. I just sort of feel like Arnett & Brock are going to figure it out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverCityDawg View Post
    I think the concerns are fair. What I keep going back to is how most of us thought our defense was going to be crap in 2020 and Arnett got the very best out of them, exceeding most people's expectations by a mile. I just sort of feel like Arnett & Brock are going to figure it out.
    I think they will be solid. But arnett and Brock haven't had them at a high level in 3 years. I know there are multiple reasons for that, but we've been a middle of the pack sec defense

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Losing Forbes and Tyrus Wheat is going to be something hard for us to replace. John Lewis looks like he has potential though to be a play maker.
    We will have something to replace Wheat. Wish he would have stayed one more year. But we will have something.

vCash
    Can anyone even give a projected starting lineup for the secondary? All I know is DCam at one corner.

vCash
    Just based on the spring game alone, there is no doubt this is gonna be one of the fastest defenses we have had in a long time. We've added some speed where we needed to. I'm not really that concerned.

vCash
    The back end of the defense will go as far as our pass rush takes them. If we allow QB?s 4 seconds on every play from snap to throw, it will be ugly. If the corners play 10 yards off and can?t press, the LBs will have to help make tackles 6 yards down field. Just never have liked 3 upfront pushing against 5 linemen. It frees up the opposing Tight End to tie up a LB and a RB to get out on another LB in space. I think a base 4-3-4 works if you have speed rushers on both sides when the offense lines up a tight end. Eliminate the double team if they TE goes out. If he stays in the o can double team two guys and still have a lineman to pick up the blitz.

I understand the principle of the 3-3-5 of disguising the coverage and having the QB have to make multiple reads. But then if he has 4-5-6 seconds, he is going to find the open man. A weak pass rush against a team playing a TE also gives him time to block then leak out into the flat or run into an open space midfield.

All that to say, I expect State to go 15-0 just like I do at he start of every season. 😎

vCash
    adding Rogers from Holmes County/Miami is going to help with depth. He was a helluva 9th grader starting in 5A and did a great job. I worry about his 2 knee surgeries- however as we saw in the Spring Game- he is still the ball hawk he has always been. Still a R/Fr and will get better- the guy is just a football player with great instincts. He will help on the back end

Also hope Ellington is now ready to play more snaps consistently
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    The back end of the defense will go as far as our pass rush takes them. If we allow QB?s 4 seconds on every play from snap to throw, it will be ugly. If the corners play 10 yards off and can?t press, the LBs will have to help make tackles 6 yards down field. Just never have liked 3 upfront pushing against 5 linemen. It frees up the opposing Tight End to tie up a LB and a RB to get out on another LB in space. I think a base 4-3-4 works if you have speed rushers on both sides when the offense lines up a tight end. Eliminate the double team if they TE goes out. If he stays in the o can double team two guys and still have a lineman to pick up the blitz.

I understand the principle of the 3-3-5 of disguising the coverage and having the QB have to make multiple reads. But then if he has 4-5-6 seconds, he is going to find the open man. A weak pass rush against a team playing a TE also gives him time to block then leak out into the flat or run into an open space midfield.

All that to say, I expect State to go 15-0 just like I do at he start of every season. 😎
    Word on the street is we are gonna play more snaps with 4 down linemen this year. Apparently we plan to be more aggressive up front on defense since we are no longer air raid on offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post

How many times have we only rushed 3 in Arnett?s tenure? If teams are max protecting and leaving RBs and TEs in, they?re only getting 3 out in the routes.

vCash
    Never worried about defense. If history was ever on our side, it is on defense. If you take away 2016 with Peter Sirmon, when has State been bad at defense?

vCash
    Can anyone even give a projected starting lineup for the secondary? All I know is DCam at one corner.
    CB- Decam
    CB- Probably Furdge rn, but it'll be a battle between him, Decarlos Nicholson, Khaumari Rogers, and Raydar Jones

FS- Marcus Banks
    SS- Corey Ellington or JaKobi Albert (transfer from UK)
    Dawg- Shawn Preston

vCash
    Only concern for me is how long it takes for the offense to get rolling. The OL is an issue.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Only concern for me is how long it takes for the offense to get rolling. The OL is an issue.
    I've been saying the same but keep getting told these guys run blocked in high school. We will see.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    I've been saying the same but keep getting told these guys run blocked in high school. We will see.
    I?m not concerned about their run blocking. Look at how we they blocked for the run with only 5 OL. Look at the Texas A&M game especially. When asked to run block they had no problems. Now add a TE to that and maybe even an H-Back on some plays.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    CB- Decam
    CB- Probably Furdge rn, but it'll be a battle between him, Decarlos Nicholson, Khaumari Rogers, and Raydar Jones

FS- Marcus Banks
    SS- Corey Ellington or JaKobi Albert (transfer from UK)
    Dawg- Shawn Preston
    Thanks. Where are they projecting Isaac Smith to play and do they think he will be healthy by fall camp?

vCash
    Thanks. Where are they projecting Isaac Smith to play and do they think he will be healthy by fall camp?
    He was recruited as a Dawg safety and had he been able to participate in the spring, he would've been able to push for playing time. I think he'll be healthy by fall camp but idk how realistic expectations will be

vCash
    I?m not concerned about their run blocking. Look at how we they blocked for the run with only 5 OL. Look at the Texas A&M game especially. When asked to run block they had no problems. Now add a TE to that and maybe even an H-Back on some plays.
    They were basically blocking five on three or four the vast majority of the time plus we spread the defenders out with our formation.

That's not going to happen this year when we line up in a two tight end set and our OC is telling the world we want to establish the run. Unless we line up like that in an obvious pass situation or something.