Page 11 of 83 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA Baseball Transfer Portal

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    I remember a start or 2 at 3B as we desperately searched for an Alford replacement

But getting to the overall point, It's possible he'll improve but by your criteria we should have kept FOrsythe as he'll be really good his Sr season. And we should keep Alford, he's got tools maybe he just needs another year to develop and some forced opportunities. You get the point.

We all know the vast majority of players with "tools" don't pan out in year 4 if they haven't by year 3. There are exceptions yes and I really hope he's one, but the odds do not seem in his favor

if we can add an OF bat we need too. Should be easier to do than finding a good 3B or pitchers
    Except Forysthe and Alford have never shown the ability to hit double digit HRs with an almost .900 OPS. Hujsak has. They also had plenty of opportunities. Hujsak hasn't. So the situations aren't similar at all.

He would've been asked to look around if we didn't think he could hit at this level. Sure, he may flop. But I choose to believe he can be good. Again, my choice, not your's.

Adding a good 3B bat should be easy considering we have no one there currently.

vCash
    Yeah and Hunt is looking like Cy Young in the Cape too so there's that. . . . . .
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    Yeah and Hunt is looking like Cy Young in the Cape too so there's that. . . . . .
    He's thrown 3 innings. Let's not crown him yet....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Hugesack is going to hit next Spring
    I tend to agree. Not like .340. But I think he can hit close to .300 with double digit HR. Very athletic and toolsy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Not saying he's gonna be a star but the reason he didn't beat Alford out is --- he's not an inf. He's bad defensively. W that said I think Alford is gonna be good next year at uga. But we had to let him hit the road. Had to.
    Agree. Even if there is collateral damage, had to be done.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Agree. Even if there is collateral damage, had to be done.
    As bad as Hujsak might be, Alford was actually terrible. Also Hujsak had a 900 fielding percentage at SS, that's still much better than Alfords 835 at 3B. A 900 at SS is roughly a 940 at 3B.

In recent memory, MSU has played catchers at 3B with no significant prep. Marshall Gilbert was a Super Regional and Omaha guy at 3B. Gavin Collins did not make Omaha, but played a nice 3B in 2016 - into the tragic Arizona Super Regional. Collins was the 3B on a National Champion caliber team.

This past year, I bet Hancock could have played 3B and Huksak at 1B. Upgrades in two fielding positions and one better bat.

I get it though, Alford looks like Tarzan and the coaches were hoping his pedigree would eventually kick-in. MSU certainly invested in Alford. Even UGA thinks he has something to offer.
    Last edited by The Federalist Engineer; 06-20-2023 at 01:01 AM.

vCash
    How about this: let's get a talented OF and let Hujsak compete with him. Let the best man win. Surely we can all agree on that?

vCash
    How about this: let's get a talented OF and let Hujsak compete with him. Let the best man win. Surely we can all agree on that?
    I don't think anyone is arguing against that.

vCash
    Could be room for Hujsak and a portal guy. I think chance is probably in the lineup too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    As bad as Hujsak might be, Alford was actually terrible. Also Hujsak had a 900 fielding percentage at SS, that's still much better than Alfords 835 at 3B. A 900 at SS is roughly a 940 at 3B.

In recent memory, MSU has played catchers at 3B with no significant prep. Marshall Gilbert was a Super Regional and Omaha guy at 3B. Gavin Collins did not make Omaha, but played a nice 3B in 2016 - into the tragic Arizona Super Regional. Collins was the 3B on a National Champion caliber team.

This past year, I bet Hancock could have played 3B and Huksak at 1B. Upgrades in two fielding positions and one better bat.

I get it though, Alford looks like Tarzan and the coaches were hoping his pedigree would eventually kick-in. MSU certainly invested in Alford. Even UGA thinks he has something to offer.
    I just meant I agreed we had to let alford go. Even if that means collateral damage

Banned
    vCash
    Wes will probably take Alford down a notch or 2 if he can find a spot on the field, if not he'll prob be the DH

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Could be room for Hujsak and a portal guy. I think chance is probably in the lineup too.
    We may be having another outfield spot opening up soon anyways.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    Smoke around Dakota Jordan following Alford to UGA?
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Smoke around Dakota Jordan following Alford to UGA?
    It all invloves his handler. Nothing we can do within reason. And it's not Lem.

vCash
    Is it Dulin? They got pissy with olemiss a few years ago.

vCash
    So short-sighted. Yeah, UGA will be bumping NIL and it's a fun town. But, name the last UGA baseball player in MLB.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    So short-sighted. Yeah, UGA will be bumping NIL and it's a fun town. But, name the last UGA baseball player in MLB.
    so, uga is going to go cheap on a coach and get someone that has never really been a serious head coaching candidate but spend money on NIL. Of all of the baseball schools to leave for and ga is the choice?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post
    Is it Dulin? They got pissy with olemiss a few years ago.
    I'm not naming any names.......... take that as you will.............................................. ..................................

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    Correct. Thats what I'm referring to
    Also why I've been talking about "collateral damage" from telling alford to leave.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post
    so, uga is going to go cheap on a coach and get someone that has never really been a serious head coaching candidate but spend money on NIL. Of all of the baseball schools to leave for and ga is the choice?
    They aren't going to pay him what his handler is asking I can assure you of that. Do they get him??? possibly.