Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving Forward at C, 1B, and DH

vCash
    Some of this will work itself out. I remember the first week last year when everybody though Corder was going to be a stud.

vCash
    Here's the easier solution; Hines at 1B and Highfill at C. Then rotate Hancock and Chance based on the lefty / righty matchup.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    Ha! We have no star quality pitcher that has been recruited by this staff. The previous staffs, recruited star quality pitchers and left the current staff several golden arms, who are no longer on the team. We have 1 hole in the day to day line up and nobody capable of filling it. We have multiple outfielders and not enough positions to get them in the lineup. We have a plethora of Designated Hitters and only 1 slot to fit them. If any of the extra outfielders or DH?s could play SS, we could fix the 1 major hole in the lineup.
    Where's the pitching talent? I'll hang up and listen?
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    In the defense of those people, myself included, none of these players are pitchers. No one has complained about our hitting.
    Exactly, this discussion is about pitching and defense. So while we have plenty of hitting we very much lack in reliable pitchers that can throw strikes and defenders that can make basic plays in the field and control runners. Besides the issues at Catcher, the left side of our infield was really bad over the weekend. That has to get fixed.
    Last edited by maroonmania; 02-20-2023 at 09:28 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Exactly, this discussion is about pitching and defense. So while we have plenty of hitting we very much lack in reliable pitchers that can throw strikes and defenders that can make basic plays in the field and control runners. Besides the issues at Catcher, the left side of our infield was really bad over the weekend. That has to get fixed.
    I'm not worried about Lane's D, it'll be there but Alford's does concern me a little. Maybe it's just the jitters from opening weekend because he was outstanding in the field in the fall...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    Ha! We have no star quality pitcher that has been recruited by this staff. The previous staffs, recruited star quality pitchers and left the current staff several golden arms, who are no longer on the team. We have 1 hole in the day to day line up and nobody capable of filling it. We have multiple outfielders and not enough positions to get them in the lineup. We have a plethora of Designated Hitters and only 1 slot to fit them. If any of the extra outfielders or DH?s could play SS, we could fix the 1 major hole in the lineup.
    Loftin and Lo were both highly recruited and could have gone pro., Gartman, Dohm, and Nixon were star transfers. We actually did very well in the off-season.

Our 500th Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Loftin and Lo were both highly recruited and could have gone pro., Gartman, Dohm, and Nixon were star transfers. We actually did very well in the off-season.
    Add Forsythe to that freshman list. And I think Ynetma, Hardin & Davis are going to help a lot this year as well. Besides Hunt, Stinnett & Holcomb, the staff looked pretty decent this weekend. And I think we'll be able to rely on Pico at some point.

vCash
    The "Captain" thing is not an elected position that is specifically provisioned in the US Constitution

It's just a "C" patch on the shirt. The captain can be a 1st base coach or the head cheerleader on the bench.

Hines has to play

Highfill has to catch, but needs a backup or PH at times

Hancock and Chance can platoon or play the best hitter as DH

Maybe Hancock catches but need an enhanced runner management, boring and will bother fans, but necessary

vCash
    Hines will be in the lineup basically every day and can only really play 1B, though he's not great there. Highfill is clearly our best defensive C. Hancock also has a very valuable bat, is fine at 1B and struggles at C. Chance showed some real promise in that first series, can play OF but isn't that great there. These are all true statements.

I don't think it's that difficult a problem.

Hines will play DH or 1B basically every day; Hancock will play some 1B, will DH some, and will catch every once in a while, leaving him in the lineup most games; Highfill should be the primary catcher but it's ok if he sits some; and Chance can DH when Highfill or Hancock sits and can play a little OF here and there, giving him plenty of action.

And if Hancock struggles offensively or Chance makes himself invaluable, then they play less/more.

The only real problem comes if Highfill doesn't hit at all. Then we have a serious issue at C.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 662dawg View Post
    We are not sitting Hines. Lemonis said as much.
    Good. We gotta get the young talent on field and ready for a championship run before they leave. Him on bench or transfering ain't going to cut it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    The "Captain" thing is not an elected position that is specifically provisioned in the US Constitution

It's just a "C" patch on the shirt. The captain can be a 1st base coach or the head cheerleader on the bench.

Hines has to play

Highfill has to catch, but needs a backup or PH at times

Hancock and Chance can platoon or play the best hitter as DH

Maybe Hancock catches but need an enhanced runner management, boring and will bother fans, but necessary
    True, wasn't Riley Self a C one year but didn't start?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Agree. I think our pitching minus that game 2 fiasco looks pretty good. When are some of these failed experiments going to end?

vCash
    You can't sit Hines. He's your best returning hitter. He's gotta DH or figure out 1B.

I think Luke probably gets another shot at catching but unless he grows a new right arm, teams are gonna steal at will on us.

There's no way you sit Chance right now. He'll probably cool off and at that point, things get a little clearer, but until then, you gotta let him hit.

So basically you just switch guys in and out until something clicks.

I'd like to see Mershon when he's healthy. It's one weekend, but 1-11 and 2 errors out of the shortstop position ain't gonna cut it.

Lots of moving parts and some emotional decisions will need to be made. But Lemonis can't afford another season like last year, so I expect him to make those difficult decisions.