Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sunday Morning QB- Same ol Same ol Edition

vCash
    Hindsight is 20/20 but I thought the decision to go for it in the first quarter was a mistake. You're on the road, top 10 program, take the points. Failure to take points and losing the gamble of going for it, cost us momentum and gave it to them. Then later, the decision to go for it deep in our own territory and give them a short field, was a terrible decision.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    All great points. I told my LSU buddy, "just weather the storm". Keep it close in first half and then you will beat their ass in 2nd half. That's exactly what happened.
    I forgot about the Tulsa game. They really should have beaten ole miss.
    Every game, accept for vandy has followed the same pattern. They jump to an early lead and then hold on for dear life. If folks don't believe me, go back and rewatch all their games. Heck om had a 21-0 lead on troy in the first quarter and wound up winning 28-10. Troy outscored them 10-7 in the second half. Is om a good team? Yes they most certainly are. Are they invincible or unbeatable, not in any form or fashion. As you said if we weather the storm in the first quarter, I like our chances. They're like a boxer who goes for the knockout early and punches themselves out. Weather the storm and then punch back. And if history is an indicator there is no way in heck to predict the outcome of the Egg Bowl.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    1. Had to be up early to go watch the kid play his last game of the football season. Moved him from DE on D to LB. No. Put that kid's hand back on the ground where it belongs. After hit the market for some 20 oz ribeyes and some Conecuh sausage. He may be average at LB but he is gonna eat well while we watch football.

2. My 2nd favorite team played well yesterday and beat previously undefeated Mississippi handily. They showed how to #RTGDF. 252 rushing yards. Win the LOS- win games. Everybody wants to talk about how their QB doesnt throw it that well. Hmmmmm. They are 6-2 and tied for the lead in the West. Great shot at 9 wins this season.

3. I've been told here over and over that Leach's offense is our only shot to beat a team like Bama. Well, in 3 games vs Bama- 12 Q's- Leach has scored 15 total points with 6 of them coming on the last play of the blowout. If you really think this gimmick offense is ever going to beat a good team- I'm not sure what to tell you. It's not. Coming in to the game, A&M score 20 on Bama. Tenn 52 points. UPig with their "one-dimensional" QB put up 26 points. The last 3 weeks those teams put up more points against Bama than Leach has in 3 games.

4. That being said- the 1st Q saw Leach with probably his best playcalling at State. Bama went with a light box and 6 DB's. We ran the damn ball against it like we are supposed to and had some success. We would move the ball but then do something dumb like punt on 4th and 6 inches...or not attempt an easy FG to take the lead and get some Mo but go for and not make it. Throwing the ball on 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 instead of running the ball and getting it. The offense looks so much better and is much more successful when it has some semblance of balance. Leach kept getting put in short yardage situations for 3rd down and it throws him off. He doesnt want to run and doesnt call it.

5. Games against future NFL players on D shows you why Rogers is not likely to be an NFL QB. Kentucky and now Bama have played us tough and physical in the Secondary much like it is in the NFL. We have seen the results of this. An offense that has scored 16 points the last 2 games total. Tulu's drop was bad but some of the passes you guys are calling "drops" were actually DB's separating the ball from the WR. They were blowing our ass up when the ball was getting there. When you throw it 60 times- there will always be drops or DB's hammering WR's at the moment of catch. Not going to change in an offense that doesnt stretch the field.

6. Lot of respect for Marks. He was getting hit but he kept coming back. Got to appreciate the toughness he showed.

7. Misscardi strikes again. Leach doesnt take the easy FG in the 1st Q which would have only been a 32 yard FG which could have given out kicker and team some confidence. Then runs him out there for a 43 yarder that he misses. The kicking game remains a problem under Leach. It's mental and looks like the approach needs to change.

8. Nice job by the defense. We made some adjustments and it worked. Really gave Bama some fits. Also shows we have the talent to compete. We do lack depth on the DL tho and havent recruited a DUDE there lately. Arnett didnt blitz every 3rd down- nice job. Brought Jett with pressure but dropped other guys- rushing 4....alot like Kentucky did to us. Mixed it up well altho rushing 3 to give their QB all day didnt work out too well. Cant complain about the D tho. They played pretty well holding Bama to 290 yards total.

9. Stop with the officials cost us the game. That's ridiculous. People flop and get calls all over the place every Sat and Sun.

10. We likely beat Auburn with 2 week to prepare and get healthier. We wont beat Georgia. We'll beat the doorknob team. So that has us at 7 wins going into the Egg Bowl. Prepare yourselves for 3 straight and 7-5. That will probably earn us a lovely trip to Birmingham to play in the TicketSmarter Birmingham Bowl. A B'ham bowl with 18 starters returning. That's not a successful season in my opinion. If you arent pushing for a big bowl with 18 starters returning- you arent recruiting very well or coaching it well.
    It's #3 and #4 together that is the problem. The offensive scheme is not a "gimmick" and could work very well for a somewhat less talented competitor like we are destined to be, but the situational play calling has to be good. It hasnt been. Probably never will be under Leach.

We also don't have a QB/WR combo that can win 1 on 1 balls deep, which completely neuters the scheme.