Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Serious question on Leach

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    I don't think this is the most talented roster. I think it's the most experienced. And there's a huge difference. Still, good enough to win 8 or 9 games. But Leach has to do more in the portal and rotate players better to get them better. We know this upperclassman bunch has maxed out. Get some new guys on the field at least some.
    My thoughts exactly. A year older/more experienced doesn't mean a year better. How many of our players were picked preseason SEC by the other SEC coaches? At this point, how many will make All-SEC, probably Forbes. How many SEC team dread playing us? How many of our opponents circle us as a victory looking at their schedule each season? Playing in the West is tough. I fell for the Leach 3rd year, maroon colored glasses view and I should have known better, but 7-5 with a win over OM or 8-4 changes things. Get it done starting with AU. Winning solves a lot of problems.
    Last edited by Goldendawg; 10-23-2022 at 03:28 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    My thoughts exactly. A year older/more experienced doesn't mean a year better. How many of our players were picked preseason SEC by the other SEC coaches? At this point, how many will make All-SEC, probably Forbes. How many SEC team dread playing us? How many of our opponents circle us as a victory looking at their schedule each season? Playing in the West is tough. I fell for the Leach 3rd year, maroon colored glasses view and I should have known better, but 7-5 with a win over OM or 8-4 changes things. Get it done starting with AU. Winning solves a lot of problems.
    YepGolden,

Everything changes with 8-4 and an egg bowl win.

Spirits would improve but it doesn?t look likely .

7-5 and losing 3 straight to those ? People? up north isn?t going to cut it. With a veteran team .

I feel bad for the defense because they have played good enough to be 8-0.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    What a bullshit post. That was by far the closest we've played Bama in years and scored our first touchdown there in almost a decade while having four games scoring over 40 points- two in SEC play which for context has only happened one other time at MSU but the offense is the problem and won't work? Laughable.
    It's really not bullshit. We played within 24 just like last night under Jovester in 2018 and should have beaten them in 2017. The 2020 blowout in T-Town was Leach.

We scored 40 on a young A&M team who is 45th nationally and 40 on the 13th ranked D in the league in UPig who is 120th in the country.

We scored 16 on LSU 5th in the SEC and 35th nationally
    We scored 10 on Kentucky who is 2nd in the SEC and 14th nationally
    We scored 6 on Bama 3rd in the SEC and 15th nationally

It's pretty clear
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    It's really not bullshit. We played within 24 just like last night under Jovester in 2018 and should have beaten them in 2017. The 2020 blowout in T-Town was Leach.

We scored 40 on a young A&M team who is 45th nationally and 40 on the 13th ranked D in the league in UPig who is 120th in the country.

It's pretty clear
    What stats are you using? A&M is allowing 20 PPG this year and 6th in the SEC is total defense. In fact, we're the only team that has scored 40+ on A&M all year long.

Arkansas- OK so we took care of business. I'm not going to complain about that.

Let's not leave Dan out of this- he started the whole Alabama mental mind17. I believe he lost to Bama like 51-3 or something like that to start this trend.

We struggled against the #2-3 defense on the road. OK. Everyone else has too not named Tennessee that one game who also happens to have a coach under the Leach tree.

Not only that this offense has scored multiple 40+ games in the SEC- LSU on the road in 2020, Auburn on the road last year, and not to mention some solid wins in A&M last year and Kentucky at home last year.

We also scored one point higher than UK's average allowed this year- remember your argument that when the defense intercepts or returns a fumble the team goes on offense? If you're going to use that logic I certainly will too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
    Let the season play out. We're 5-3 with four games left. Nothing is going to happen until the season is over. We very well could be 8-4.
    Some don't want the season to play out. We are doomed according to them now and the season is already over, and arm chair coaches always know more. Just ask them if they do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by civildawg View Post
    I like leach but never wanted to hire him because I wasn?t sure his offense would work in the SEC. I actually was rethinking my stance on him this year after he showed a commitment to run the ball the arky and AM games. THEN HE TURNS RIGHT AROUND THE NEXT WEEK AND ABANDONS WHAT WORKED THE WEEKS BEFORE. I will never understand that game plan against A bad Kentucky team. That shows me he?s not serious about committing to the run to adapt his offense and he?s going to keep trying to shove this gimmick offense down our throats.
    You do know that Sharp got injured and we had to reshuffle our offensive line, and we had one rb injured and out and another one playing hurt, but that shouldn't have any effect should it?
    Last edited by yjnkdawg; 10-24-2022 at 12:03 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    What a bullshit post. That was by far the closest we've played Bama in years and scored our first touchdown there in almost a decade while having four games scoring over 40 points- two in SEC play which for context has only happened one other time at MSU but the offense is the problem and won't work? Laughable.
    I agree . Haven't been able to post on here in a while, but the same old agenda stuff with some.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yjnkdawg View Post
    You do know that Sharp got injured and we had to reshuffle our offensive line, and we had one rb injured and out and another one playing hurt, but that shouldn't have any effect should it?
    Well?. No?.. Not Really. It caused us to plug Johnson back in at left tackle. But Losoya came in as a center. And I think he played pretty well.

Remember, Will through 60 passes, completing 30. I counted 4 drops and 7 knocked away. That means there were 19 Miss fires by the QB who has averaged 72% completions. The timing of the drops was devastatingly bad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ImissCityBagel View Post
    Honestly, if had a mobile threat at QB that would make the entire offense better.
    And if we had a really fast WR like that Tennessee guy, that would be a big help.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCDawg View Post
    And if we had a really fast WR like that Tennessee guy, that would be a big help.
    At this point in a vacuum we have a much bigger need at WR than we do QB. In that we need guys that can catch the ball more consistently.

vCash
    We do Tulu. Only problem is he hasn’t “jacked off an elephant” lately.

That is. Clifford Franklin quote by the way. Ha

vCash
    Jalin Hyatt was a 3* coming out of high school that TN offered but didn't get until he transferred in the portal. In college he became a 4*. I think our main speed is in the younger WR's who haven't had time to learn the system yet.

vCash
    Where are Auburn and Ole Miss ranked defensively nationally and in the SEC. It seems like we can really score good a lot against average and bad defenses, but the upper half of the conference defenses are where we struggle. Obviously UGA will be a nightmare, but we can still beat Aub and Ole Miss if their defenses are not that highly ranked

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PGHBulldogBG View Post
    Where are Auburn and Ole Miss ranked defensively nationally and in the SEC. It seems like we can really score good a lot against average and bad defenses, but the upper half of the conference defenses are where we struggle. Obviously UGA will be a nightmare, but we can still beat Aub and Ole Miss if their defenses are not that highly ranked
    http://cfbstats.com/2022/leader/911/...10/sort01.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PGHBulldogBG View Post
    Here you go:

Auburn - 81st total defense, 119th run defense, 19th pass defense
    om - 55th total defense, 86th run defense, 41st pass defense

These are national rankings.

vCash

It's pretty clear
    It's been pretty clear for over a decade our offenses struggle with top tier of the SEC defenses:
    I'm using Scoring Defense, as IIRCC that is a stat you like:

'10 - 7 pts on #2 LSU, 10 pts on #4 Florida(W), 10 pts on #1 Bama
    '11 - 6 pts on #2 LSU, 7 pts on #1 Bama
    '12 - 7 pts on #1 Bama, 17 on #2 LSU
    '13 - 7 pts on #1 Bama, 16 on #2 USCe - and 3 on #19 nationally OSU
    '14 - is the outlier - we had a generational talent at QB, and NFL talent in every position group, still only 17 pts on #1 OM, 20 pts on #3 Bama, 17 pts on #4 Arkansas (W) - did score 34 on #2 LSU (W)
    '15 - 6 on #1 Bama, but 31 on #2 Mizzou (W), but on 17 against #11 Auburn (w), and 19 against #10 LSU
    '16 - USA says it all
    '17 - 3 on #2 UGA and 10 on #3 Auburn. We did have a Mullen era high 24 on #1 Bama, but at the same time could only manage 28 against #14 Arkansas and #13 OM
    '18 - I really don't want to rehash the SloMo failure here - but 7 on #2 UK, 0 on #3 Bama, 3 on #7 LSU, 6 on #6 UF WHEN WE HAD THE #1 D with only 11.9 pts a game. #$@#$@#%@%#@

But yeah, Leach's offense is unusual in that it has a hard time scoring on good defenses.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    It's been pretty clear for over a decade our offenses struggle with top tier of the SEC defenses:
    I'm using Scoring Defense, as IIRCC that is a stat you like:

'10 - 7 pts on #2 LSU, 10 pts on #4 Florida(W), 10 pts on #1 Bama
    '11 - 6 pts on #2 LSU, 7 pts on #1 Bama
    '12 - 7 pts on #1 Bama, 17 on #2 LSU
    '13 - 7 pts on #1 Bama, 16 on #2 USCe - and 3 on #19 nationally OSU
    '14 - is the outlier - we had a generational talent at QB, and NFL talent in every position group, still only 17 pts on #1 OM, 20 pts on #3 Bama, 17 pts on #4 Arkansas (W) - did score 34 on #2 LSU (W)
    '15 - 6 on #1 Bama, but 31 on #2 Mizzou (W), but on 17 against #11 Auburn (w), and 19 against #10 LSU
    '16 - USA says it all
    '17 - 3 on #2 UGA and 10 on #3 Auburn. We did have a Mullen era high 24 on #1 Bama, but at the same time could only manage 28 against #14 Arkansas and #13 OM
    '18 - I really don't want to rehash the SloMo failure here - but 7 on #2 UK, 0 on #3 Bama, 3 on #7 LSU, 6 on #6 UF WHEN WE HAD THE #1 D with only 11.9 pts a game. #$@#$@#%@%#@

But yeah, Leach's offense is unusual in that it has a hard time scoring on good defenses.
    But aGAIN- the hill everyone dies on is that Leach's O is what's needed to score on good defenses. It's whats needed to beat Bama. 5 ppg against Bama in 3 games.

Jimbo's supposedly archaic O scored more this year alone than Leach in 3 tries.

Good defenses all the same thing against us. Get a pass rush without bringing much extra pressure while keeping our WR's in front and blowing them up when the ball arrives.

vCash
    But aGAIN- the hill everyone dies on is that Leach's O is what's needed to score on good defenses. It's whats needed to beat Bama. 5 ppg against Bama in 3 games.

Jimbo's supposedly archaic O scored more this year alone than Leach in 3 tries.

Good defenses all the same thing against us. Get a pass rush without bringing much extra pressure while keeping our WR's in front and blowing them up when the ball arrives.
    Well, I'm not making that argument. I think it speaks more to the continual personnel problem at WR not the scheme. You do need a passing game that can take the top off of Bama's D (and the other top tier SEC D's). To do that you need NFL level WR to match up and beat Bama's NFL level DBs. We have never, and still don't have that. I think the odds of attracting it in a pass first offense are better than they were in a Running QB based spread option.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    I think the odds of attracting it in a pass first offense are better than they were in a Running QB based spread option.
    UPig did it
    Freeze did it and they were Spread Option
    Florida did it constantly
    Auburn has had good WR groups

Our lack of WR recruiting was because of idiots like Hevesy telling WR recruits they have to learn how to block during their recruitment. You tell them that kind of stuff after they get on campus.

vCash
    UPig did it
    Freeze did it and they were Spread Option
    Florida did it constantly
    Auburn has had good WR groups

Our lack of WR recruiting was because of idiots like Hevesy telling WR recruits they have to learn how to block during their recruitment. You tell them that kind of stuff after they get on campus.
    WR are the biggest primma donnas on the football field. Yeah you have to handle them differently than other recruits for sure.