Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Want to make sure this is seen....

vCash

Want to make sure this is seen....

So this year- the motto is "you are what your record says you are"

BUT

Last year the motto was "we are 8-4 but we havent beaten anybody"....people did all they could to discredit us going 8-4 and 4-4 in the SEC. And they still do it- even our own fans. But suddenly this year, it's -"you are what your record says you are" ?????

Why werent we what our record said we were last year???
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    We were an 8-5 team last year, exactly like our record said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Madkinmecrazy View Post
    We were an 8-5 team last year, exactly like our record said.
    Thats the first I've heard of that. I keep hearing other programs- that won fewer games- had better seasons

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Thats the first I've heard of that. I keep hearing other programs- that won fewer games- had better seasons
    I guess you'll always get that from some people who say that you didn't get a signature win or that you should have beat so-and-so. Sure, we didn't beat any good teams last year, but we still won 8 games. Not our fault that those teams sucked.

In the moment, sometimes a season feels different that the record states, but after a month or 2 (and certainly after a couple of seasons) the record is all you have to go on.

vCash
    We had a good season for a not so good team.

vCash
    Had better seasons or were better teams? That's an important distinction to make

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post
    Had better seasons or were better teams? That's an important distinction to make
    exactly

vCash
    IMO it's a weird season... every year

vCash

Motto or Media Motto

BUT

Last year the motto was "we are 8-4 but we havent beaten anybody"....people did all they could to discredit us going 8-4 and 4-4 in the SEC. And they still do it- even our own fans. But suddenly this year, it's -"you are what your record says you are" ?????

Most of the hub bub is from the so-called media perception of MSU. I personally do not listen to Bounds, Finbaum, ect. I just refuse to panic about the program. Saturday night made me think, crowd stayed engaged throughout the game, recruits seemed excited, D-fense is damn good. The downward portion is special teams, kicking game, and QB injuries to Dak. I might be wearing ros? colored shades boys but I am very optimistic for the future. Main stream media does not dictate my opinion.

vCash
    It was "can't beat any SECW teams except Ole Miss" until we beat Auburn.

Then it was "your 7-0 doesn't mean anything"...until this year when we aren't close to 7-0 and all the sudden records don't matter.

Folks, don't buy the Ole Miss spin. They find fault in everything and straight up specialize in making you believe it. If we were headed to the SEC CG, they'd discredit us for....wait we did go to the SEC CG and they do discredit that for reasons I won't dignify here (and I better damn well better not see you folks do it for them).

Don't buy the spin. "We drive tractors; they sue people." They specialize in spin.

PS: WE WERE IN THE GD WORLD SERIES!!! When is the last time Ole Miss played for a national championship in ANYTHING? Not even disc golf! Ha!

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    It did say had better seasons...I'm going with that

vCash
    But isn't that the point of the OP?

The quote is, 'You are what your record says you are'. So if you buy into that, then you will always say that an 8-4 team is better than a 7-5 team, because those teams are both what their records say they are.

The quote is not, 'Your record reflects the kind of season you had'. No one disputes that statement.

So you're basically proving his point...which is that when our record is not as good, everyone says, 'No, no, we are what our record says we are. We aren't a very good team'. But then when our record is better, it's, 'Well, our record is ok, but we're not a very good team'. You can't have it both ways. If you can be a worse team than your record reflects, then you can also be a better team than your record reflects.

vCash
    When we beat Auburn and Tennessee last year, both of those teams were still playing for the postseason. By the end of the year, they had packed it in and everyone viewed it as that was the team MSU beat.
    Happy Festivus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I seen it dawg View Post
    It did say had better seasons...I'm going with that
    8 wins > 7 wins

If you "are what your record is"- then 8 win teams have better seasons

vCash
    Coach I get what angle you are pushing here but you and I both know Parcell's intent when he so famously said "you are what your record says you are" he was more specifically referring to when you had a bad season not a good season. The intent of the statement was to reflect the opinion of an NFL GM when reviewing a coach's employment status.

If you finish with a losing record but then make 15 different excuses as to why you had a bad season, no one wants to hear it. You are what your record says you are. The true intent of the phrase is not to also explain a winning record.

vCash

BUT

It all depends on when you start looking at it. For instance, we are 5-11 in our last 16 games. So I ask you....are we "what our record says we are"?

vCash
    8 wins > 7 wins

If you "are what your record is"- then 8 win teams have better seasons
    If we win 6 and the bears win 7, Im not going to agree with this reasoning;

vCash
    Had we lost to Tennessee last year, they probably would have beaten Missouri and Vanderbilt to go 8-4. We really deflated them. And they would be yet another signature win Mullen couldn't get.

vCash
    It's only coming from TSUN... They like to say we didn't beat any good teams last year, well... Neither did they... So, how exactly does one figure they had a better team/season..?

It's called spin brotha, and they're good at it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hells bells View Post
    Most of the hub bub is from the so-called media perception of MSU. I personally do not listen to Bounds, Finbaum, ect. I just refuse to panic about the program. Saturday night made me think, crowd stayed engaged throughout the game, recruits seemed excited, D-fense is damn good. The downward portion is special teams, kicking game, and QB injuries to Dak. I might be wearing ros? colored shades boys but I am very optimistic for the future. Main stream media does not dictate my opinion.
    I like this post.