Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stricklin speaks on Mullen

vCash

Stricklin speaks on Mullen

I dread this turning into a Hud thread, but I felt it should be posted. In an article just released by Alex Scarborough of ESPN, Scott Stricklin gives what I believe are the first quotes addressing the job security of Dan Mullen. Of course any reasonable person knows that the situation is fluid and always will be. Enjoy!

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/i...y-the-hot-seat

vCash
    I wish he would speak about the great commercial bombardment of 2013. Last week the video board was flat out offensive to a degree that we deserve and apology and an explanation.

vCash
    For the last time. Regardless of what the obnoxious loud mouths that post here say, Mullen will not be fired no matter how the season ends up.

vCash
    Stricklin said that while he wishes the Bulldogs' record was better, he's not letting one year of bad results cloud his judgement. He signed Mullen to a four-year contract extension last December and insists Mullen's tenure is still in its early stages.
    AH -- so the contract extension talks midseason were total bullshit with no chance of happening before December huh? I was told I was being ridiculous when I sniffed that one out...
    Last edited by engie; 11-19-2013 at 02:24 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PassInterference View Post
    I wish he would speak about the great commercial bombardment of 2013. Last week the video board was flat out offensive to a degree that we deserve and apology and an explanation.
    I emailed Strick with my priority number on this issue...no response
    Yes- that Behr

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PassInterference View Post
    Right after we scored the place was going crazy... ****in Mercedez commercial comes on... buzzkill
    Happy Festivus

vCash
    It concerns the hell out of me that Stricklin sees this as one bad year. This shit started early last season.

Regardless of outcome...it's concerning that he ignores last seasons collapse.

That being said...Ive been told by all of the board experts that Stricklin doesnt ultimately make that decision, so his comments mean nothing*

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    It concerns the hell out of me that Stricklin sees this as one bad year. This shit started early last season.

That being said...Ive been told by all of the board experts that Stricklin doesnt ultimately make that decision, so his comments mean nothing*
    I'm of the opinion that any comments Strick makes publicly regarding Mullen during the FB season are purely "AD-speak." I wouldn't think he'd say anything to suggest the department isn't behind him - I don't see what good it would do to say anything contrary to that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DawgInMemphis View Post
    I'm of the opinion that any comments Strick makes publicly regarding Mullen during the FB season are purely "AD-speak." I wouldn't think he'd say anything to suggest the department isn't behind him - I don't see what good it would do to say anything contrary to that.
    I agree, but it's more what he said. The reference to our history, investment in football, Richard Williams, Cohen, etc. means that Strick has been thinking long and hard about this, and was able to come up legitimate reasons why Mullen should stay.

Strick didn't come up with those quotes of the top of his head. I think this article tells us a lot. But if he loses this weekend and gets beat or blown out by OM, then I think everything could change.

vCash
    But the opposite is important to note as well. When you come out and say "he's our best coach since WW2" and then you fire him, you look like a complete idiot.

AD speak and this are not the same. He's saying that historically he's the best coach in the history of the school and we aren't firing him.

vCash

Take off the sunbelt glasses...

Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post

I don't think he ignored last season. My interpretation is that he looked at the big picture as most directors should do and made an informed decision or conclusion. Makes no sense to fire one of the most successful coaches in the history of your school due to a rebuilding year. I do agree that Mullen did a poor job of coaching at the end of last year and the gator bowl effort was embarrassing.

vCash
    Mississippi State -- where 62nd in the BCS = a lifetime contract.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BogeyGolfer View Post
    I don't think he ignored last season. My interpretation is that he looked at the big picture as most directors should do and made an informed decision or conclusion. Makes no sense to fire one of the most successful coaches in the history of your school due to a rebuilding year. I do agree that Mullen did a poor job of coaching at the end of last year and the gator bowl effort was embarrassing.
    Who said anything about firing Mullen or the Sunbelt. Take your snarky shit somewhere else...he clearly ignored last year in those comnents. Take Dan's pecker out of your mouth and dont think EVERY comment that doesnt praise Mullen is a We Want Hud/Fire Mullen post. I said nothing even close to that.

vCash
    I pay no attention to this whatsoever. The truth will show at the end of the season. This goes for every season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by angusyoung View Post
    But the opposite is important to note as well. When you come out and say "he's our best coach since WW2" and then you fire him, you look like a complete idiot.

AD speak and this are not the same. He's saying that historically he's the best coach in the history of the school and we aren't firing him.
    If he loses the last two games, then you've got the firepower you need to let him go. In that scenario, which is probably the only scenario in which he considers firing him, you won't look like an idiot.

I happen to agree that he's historically our best coach, and I think firing him for one bad year is a mistake - even if we lose our next two. Looking at the big picture, Mullen has been great for us. People that say he's plateau'd may be right, but there's no way to know that. I don't think he's plateau'd, I just think it's incredibly difficult to go from where we are to taking that next step. Having a roster full of guys that are suited to run his offense will go a long way towards helping us take that step. If we lose one or both of our remaining games, depending on how we lose them, it may change my mind. If we win our next two, I'm still firmly in the keep Mullen camp.

vCash
    The irony of that and to add insult to injury in that commercial is that there's a Mercedez plant in Tuscaloosa.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CJDAWG85 View Post
    Right after we scored the place was going crazy... ****in Mercedez commercial comes on... buzzkill
    There is an article on the Reflector-Online site where Stricklin apologizes for what happened Saturday and basically says that contracts signed will not allow anything changed this season. However, he understands the jumbotron has been a problem this year and something will get changed.

vCash
    Well, I admit that I find it a good sign to see Scott assuring folks that Dan has got us on the right path:

"He's done a really good job, and I think he's got us set up to have even more success the next few years." Stricklin explained. "Dan's a heck of a coach. ... It just takes time to really be consistently good and take that next step."

For those that truly believe we are that close to making a lot of good things happen, it would be a set back to try and go find a new coach that will have to install a new system.

"It's pretty inefficient to hit the recycle button every few years," Stricklin said.

We need to give Dan a chance with this team given some of the positives we have seen this season (i.e. Dak, Chris Jones, etc). I am glad Stricklin is looking at the bigger picture.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by angusyoung View Post

I agree. If it was just AD speak, then he wouldn't have been so specific. Things could change if lose the next two games, but for the sake of recruiting and saving the offensive style Dan is putting in place I think these comments are a good sign.

vCash
    Exactly. Every fired coach in the history of coaches has gotten the "dreaded vote of confidence" right up until the press conference announcing his firing. Anyone trying to read between the lines on this is nuts. Stricklin will be publicly behind Mullen...until he isn't.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22