Thread: Prater, Moore & Dobbs

Banned
    vCash

Prater, Moore & Dobbs

are the 3 new names on the basketball roster. Anyone know anything about them? Are they walk-ons, greyshirts, preferred walk-ons? Are they any good? Are they the last of the additions this year (besides Bear)? Also what's up with Jacoby Davis? I'm starting to have my doubts he will ever play for MSU.

vCash
    Walk-ons, Dallas Prater has best chance of three to break into rotation but physically he will get beat up in conference play

vCash
    Prater is a great kid. He comes from St. Andrews in Ridgeland where he was district MVP. About 6-3 with PG skills. Personally , I think he is close to a D-1 scholarship level player. Certainly needs to get stronger. Has younger brother , 9th gr, that could be really special.

vCash
    I think they're just making sure Davis is fully 100% so they don't keep having injuries with him; he was already back and working out but got banged up again.

I really, really hope De'Runnya Wilson plays for us this year, but I'm not counting on it.

vCash
    Just found out Prater has mono. Out indefinitely

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I really, really hope De'Runnya Wilson plays for us this year, but I'm not counting on it.
    I'd honestly rather he didn't. Maybe he could help, but he's a superstar in the making in football and I'd hate for him to get hurt playing basketball.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    I'd honestly rather he didn't. Maybe he could help, but he's a superstar in the making in football and I'd hate for him to get hurt playing basketball.
    I want to see atleast one year of him in basketball before he goes football only. Remember he's the reigning Mr. Basketball in Alabama. What if he's All-SEC in basketball? What then? As great as he is as a frosh WR what if he's even better in basketball? I just don't see how MSU can say football only if that's the case. MSU agreed to him playing both sports and if that's what he wants to do then let it happen. Let's see one year of basketball first.

vCash
    He's a 6'5 post player. He wont be able to join basketball until after the bowl game anyway
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Bowl Game?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    He's a 6'5 post player.
    Meant to say something about this too. Best case, he'd be a slightly better Roquez Johnson. He'd provide a little more depth (which we're more or less ok on now), but he probably wouldn't increase the team's ceiling significantly. There's no doubt his future is in football, and I think he should commit to it to maximize that future. It probably would have been a different story last year, but now, I don't think the small boost he'd bring to basketball would be worth the trade offs that come with playing both sports.

Side note: It would be interesting to know what it's like from an athlete's perspective to go from being one of the largest players at his position in one sport to one of the smallest in another.

vCash
    Prater's little brother is at JA now.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    He's a 6'5 post player. He wont be able to join basketball until after the bowl game anyway
    We'll see. They don't just give Mr. Basketball to anybody. You gotta earn that award. We all know he can jump higher than just about anybody and he doesn't mind physical contact so I'm not so quick to right him off in basketball as you are. One year to prove he's worth playing both. I mean that is the agreement we gave him. Time to honor it and he might just prove y'all wrong.

vCash
    They're right, though. He would help us as a 6'6" post player can be valuable in college basketball, especially one with as little depth down low as we have, but he doesn't have a real future in basketball.

His future is in football, there's no question about that.

Mr. Basketball is a HS award, it has nothing to do with projection to higher levels of play. Danny Wuerffel won the Heisman, they don't just give that to anybody. But his ceiling in the NFL was always going to be limited because he was 6'1", couldn't run that well, and didn't have a strong arm.

vCash
    Prater is by far the best, however he is currently in the hospital where he had two abscesses removed that were behind his tonsils. Also he had his tonsils removed. He will be out at least three weeks. Since he can't eat solid foods for a while, look for him to be out for at least November and December. He's very talented but has had trouble staying healthy so far.