Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Mullen vs. Croom based on records and facts

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    Give croom diaries a break. He is one of the few writers/bloggers out there thttp://youtu.be/YlVi0noRr-ohat is tolerable. I enjoy reading his stuff more than any msu beat writer or blogger out there.
    Being a good blogger doesn't give someone a free pass to negatively spin coaching records just to get site clicks. I tried explaining this to him on twitter. Our beat writers are negative enough. If all the bloggers keep this crap up and post it all over message boards, twitter, Facebook, etc, just remind me again how this helps the program move forward?

Senior Member The Croom Diaries's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sbcmortgageman View Post
    Being a good blogger doesn't give someone a free pass to negatively spin coaching records just to get site clicks. I tried explaining this to him on twitter. Our beat writers are negative enough. If all the bloggers keep this crap up and post it all over message boards, twitter, Facebook, etc, just remind me again how this helps the program move forward?
    I'm not trying to get site clicks. I get nothing out of this. I don't get ad money or anything. This message board needs ads and donations because they have to pay for it, I joined Sports Illustrated so I wouldn't have to pay to publish the site and I get free use of pictures. The only reason I posted it on this board was because I thought it was interesting. I post about 1 of every 50 articles I write on here.

I will never sell out for page views. I will write what I believe. My point on twitter was that people hound me all day long about writing positive material but when I write positive stuff they don't read it. I wrote a story on Gabe Jackson who is about to tie the all-time starts records at State and it got 150 views. Then I wrote about how well our defensive line is doing and it got 200 views. Then I write negative stories and it gets 1,500-2,500 views. I'll write whatever I think is relevant, but I'm not going to go out of my way to pump sunshine when no one is reading it...it's not worth the time. And if I've got two stories in mind, one negative and one positive but only time to write one I'll write the negative one because no one is reading positive right now.

But I appreciate you thinking I have some affect on the program. I am a fly on the wall. Even if I disagree with the admin at the end of the year I will support their decision. I've made my beef known in-season but I won't do it during recruiting season. That is what I don't understand - people wanting me to wait until recruiting season to air out all the dirty laundry.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Croom Diaries View Post
    I'm not trying to get site clicks. I get nothing out of this. I don't get ad money or anything. This message board needs ads and donations because they have to pay for it, I joined Sports Illustrated so I wouldn't have to pay to publish the site and I get free use of pictures. The only reason I posted it on this board was because I thought it was interesting. I post about 1 of every 50 articles I write on here.

I will never sell out for page views. I will write what I believe. My point on twitter was that people hound me all day long about writing positive material but when I write positive stuff they don't read it. I wrote a story on Gabe Jackson who is about to tie the all-time starts records at State and it got 150 views. Then I wrote about how well our defensive line is doing and it got 200 views. Then I write negative stories and it gets 1,500-2,500 views. I'll write whatever I think is relevant, but I'm not going to go out of my way to pump sunshine when no one is reading it...it's not worth the time. And if I've got two stories in mind, one negative and one positive but only time to write one I'll write the negative one because no one is reading positive right now.

But I appreciate you thinking I have some affect on the program. I am a fly on the wall. Even if I disagree with the admin at the end of the year I will support their decision. I've made my beef known in-season but I won't do it during recruiting season. That is what I don't understand - people wanting me to wait until recruiting season to air out all the dirty laundry.
    I never said you have some kind of effect on the program. I said a bunch of bloggers writing negative stuff about university could affect the program, specially when you blast it all over social media and message boards. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it you the other day that said Scott specifically replied to you on Twitter because he "knew what you would do with it". I think you may be giving yourself a little too much credit. The article about Gabe was a good article but the reason he didn't get so many views is because everybody already knows that he's a great player and prolly didn't have to read about it again.

These are just my opinions fwiw.

vCash
    The problem is there is no in between. I want Mullen to beat a good team too. But that his wins are vs teams with a 0.0926 winning percentage and his losses are vs teams with an 0.805 leaves a lot of middle ground.

AGAIN, Mullen is recruiting better, winning more, and playing better vs the best era one confernce has ever had in the history of major college sports. (outside of UCLA basketball under Wooden and UNC womens soccer, but those we just one team) *cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough* biggest fault was not paying Cecil Newton. A crystal football would have solved all of this.

Like I said before, It's $$$$

And Croom diary's I like your blogg. Keep posting stuff. The debate is good, but have some patience. If we go to Div4, our road will be harder, but our chances to be great will be much higher.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sbcmortgageman View Post
    I never said you have some kind of effect on the program. I said a bunch of bloggers writing negative stuff about university could affect the program, specially when you blast it all over social media and message boards. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it you the other day that said Scott specifically replied to you on Twitter because he "knew what you would do with it". I think you may be giving yourself a little too much credit. The article about Gabe was a good article but the reason he didn't get so many views is because everybody already knows that he's a great player and prolly didn't have to read about it again.

These are just my opinions fwiw.
    I was just giving specific examples about positive articles. I've been doing this for 3 years now and have written around 1,500 articles. I could write a masterpiece of positivity but if we aren't winning no one will read it.

70% of my traffic is through twitter and Facebook so it's pretty necessary. If I'm going to write something, Im going to promote it.

I know Strick knows who I am and all the admin. I also know that I've written two different articles on the video board which received over 10K views each. You only get those type of numbers if you've struck a nerve or massive agreement. I know Strick read them and has been hearing it from people. I know at least 50 people tweeted my articles to him because I saw it..so he was aware that I have been leading the charge on this. That's why I said that.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SheltonChoked View Post
    The problem is there is no in between. I want Mullen to beat a good team too. But that his wins are vs teams with a 0.0926 winning percentage and his losses are vs teams with an 0.805 leaves a lot of middle ground.

AGAIN, Mullen is recruiting better, winning more, and playing better vs the best era one confernce has ever had in the history of major college sports. (outside of UCLA basketball under Wooden and UNC womens soccer, but those we just one team) *cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough* biggest fault was not paying Cecil Newton. A crystal football would have solved all of this.

Like I said before, It's $$$$

And Croom diary's I like your blogg. Keep posting stuff. The debate is good, but have some patience. If we go to Div4, our road will be harder, but our chances to be great will be much higher.
    We don't have any middle ground wins because we don't schedule any middle ground teams. We continue to only schedule chickenshit OCC games. All we get is a W. We can't seriously point to those wins as accomplishments or proof that we are good or getting better or anything. Any CUSA or Sunbelt team would destroy Alcorn or Jackson St. and everyone knows it. Lower tier Sunbelt teams are jokes, too. USM after 24 consecutive losses isn't going to impress anyone, either. So, we will again have wins everybody disregards and losses to highly ranked teams with nothing in between. When we try to compare stats with other teams everyone will continue to say, "look at their stats against real teams" and that crap.

It is our fault. Are we really scared to play any mid level teams? Looks like it. Reminds me of the old saying, "No coach ever got fired for winning". That should be Dan's motto.

How do we prove we are good by losing to LSU and beating Alcorn?

vCash
    I was just giving specific examples about positive articles. I've been doing this for 3 years now and have written around 1,500 articles. I could write a masterpiece of positivity but if we aren't winning no one will read it.

70% of my traffic is through twitter and Facebook so it's pretty necessary. If I'm going to write something, Im going to promote it.

I know Strick knows who I am and all the admin. I also know that I've written two different articles on the video board which received over 10K views each. You only get those type of numbers if you've struck a nerve or massive agreement. I know Strick read them and has been hearing it from people. I know at least 50 people tweeted my articles to him because I saw it..so he was aware that I have been leading the charge on this. That's why I said that.
    Fair enough.

vCash
    If Strick reads your stuff, I wish you would write 10 articles a day about Bracky Brett. He's way more of a problem than Dan could ever dream of being.

You could also write up what your ideal schedules over a 2-3 year span would be like and mention that it shouldn't include top 15 OOC teams. Some middle of the pack BCS teams or high-level non BCS teams would generate more interest and create more wins that we could be proud of and not be told that all we can ever beat are sisters of the poor. We obviously need cupcakes sprinkled in - don't want all losable OOC games. But scheduling needs to be looked at.

Last 4 years and next year OOC:
    Memphis, Alcorn St, Houston, UAB
    Memphis, LA Tech, UAB, TN Martin
    Jackson State, Troy, South AL, Middle TN
    Oklahoma St, Alcorn St, Troy, Bowling Green
    USM, UAB, South AL, TN Martin

So far we're 15-1 in those, but there's only one game in there that could really be bragged about (had we won). It came against a top 15 team on the first game of the season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cubswillwinitonedaydawg View Post
    If Strick reads your stuff, I wish you would write 10 articles a day about Bracky Brett. He's way more of a problem than Dan could ever dream of being.

You could also write up what your ideal schedules over a 2-3 year span would be like and mention that it shouldn't include top 15 OOC teams. Some middle of the pack BCS teams or high-level non BCS teams would generate more interest and create more wins that we could be proud of and not be told that all we can ever beat are sisters of the poor. We obviously need cupcakes sprinkled in - don't want all losable OOC games. But scheduling needs to be looked at.

Last 4 years and next year OOC:
    Memphis, Alcorn St, Houston, UAB
    Memphis, LA Tech, UAB, TN Martin
    Jackson State, Troy, South AL, Middle TN
    Oklahoma St, Alcorn St, Troy, Bowling Green
    USM, UAB, South AL, TN Martin

So far we're 15-1 in those, but there's only one game in there that could really be bragged about (had we won). It came against a top 15 team on the first game of the season.
    I didn't say Strick reads my stuff, I said he knows who I am and read my video board articles. I highly doubt he frequents M&WN. I've written about Bracky several times. I can only beat the dead horse so many times. As far as non-conference, I could care less who we schedule. If it's cupcakes then we should beat them if it's BCS teams then let's see how we measure up. I'm more interested in gaining bragging rights vs. SEC teams than other BCS teams.

vCash
    Agree with this. Except you seem to be pointing the finger at Dan when it's our AD who makes the schedule. It's usually either a top 10 team, a cupcake OOC game, a decent OOC win that people don't care about because it's a no-name opponent, or a down SEC program. No in-between. Since Dan has been here, he hasn't had many opportunities against teams that are pretty even with us. He'll get his shot at a similar level team on Thanksgiving - a win will hopefully calm people down.

Next year should provide opportunities too - got A&M, Auburn, Arkansas, and Vandy at home, and Kentucky and the Bears on the road. All winnable games, and at least 4 of those would be good wins. Kentucky and Arkansas should improve, so those would be decent wins also.

vCash
    I can agree with that. I want bragging rights over more than just Kentucky myself. Problem is we're in the SEC West. The East usually provides several 5-7 to 8-4 type teams, while the West is usually full of top 10 teams or LSU, who just has our number. We own Kentucky right now, won our last game with TN, got a chance to take back Egg Bowl bragging rights this year and make it 4/5, I hope next year get a chance to make it 3 in a row vs. Arkansas, will face a pretty good Vandy team at home, and may have a shot at A&M if Manziel leaves.

I'm not the most patient person myself, but I think Dan deserves next year. 1 - he's done more in his first 5 years than basically any other MSU coach, and 2 - next year has some tough but winnable games and will be his chance to right the ship. If we look like crap the last 2 weeks, write another article like this and I'll probably share it on my facebook page. Til then, let's see what happens.

vCash
    I guess I need to learn how to reply with quote.

vCash

Uh...so you're not trying to get site clicks, but you determine what you write based on the number of site clicks it will get? Ok....

I think you just made sbcmortgageman's point for him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Uh...so you're not trying to get site clicks, but you determine what you write based on the number of site clicks it will get? Ok....

I think you just made sbcmortgageman's point for him.
    No, you missed the point. I have a topic list a mile long on my phone. I get about 10 ideas for articles a day, and I have to narrow them down or combine them based on what I have time to do. I still write positive articles. I wrote one yesterday and the day before that. I write whatever I think is relevant. But if the top 3 stories I have for today are all negative I'm not going to go OUT OF MY WAY to sort through the stat book or gene'spage to find something positive to write about because no one is reading that anyway. If there's a positive story at the top of my list like there has been the last two days then I'll write it - it doesn't have any bearing what the view count will be - if I think it's important I'll write it. I could pump up the propaghanda machine pretty high if I wanted to but I don't do that. I could write an article right now about Ole Miss and get 15,000 views on it but I'm not going to. The whole point of me even mentioning the view count on the positive articles is that I keep getting hounded for not writing positive articles - but the people that are hounding me aren't even reading them! So they're not interested in reading articles, they just don't want anyone to be negative. It's either that or there's a lot more people who either think like I do or are open to hearing criticism of Mullen since every single other outlet for MSU news other than Matt Stevens is only pumping the positive.
    Last edited by The Croom Diaries; 11-20-2013 at 10:54 AM.

vCash
    I write whatever I think is relevant. But if the top 3 stories I have for today are all negative I'm not going to go OUT OF MY WAY to sort through the stat book or gene'spage to find something positive to write about because no one is reading that anyway.
    This is fine, but you yourself said that if your choice is between a positive story and a negative one, you will post the negative one...for the sake of site clicks.

vCash
    This is fine, but you yourself said that if your choice is between a positive story and a negative one, you will post the negative one...for the sake of site clicks.
    I don't know what you do for a living but let's say you sell insurance. If you had the opportunity to give a presentation for your insurance to 1,000 people or 100 people - and you could only choose one - which would you choose?

vCash
    I don't know what you do for a living but let's say you sell insurance. If you had the opportunity to give a presentation for your insurance to 1,000 people or 100 people - and you could only choose one - which would you choose?
    I didn't say you're making a bad decision, and I'm not even the one who said you're hurting the program. But you can't claim to not care about site clicks and then say that you make your decisions based on how many site clicks it gets, basically confirming his point that you will post negative things over positive ones because it generates more traffic.

Just like if I was the insurance salesman you describe, and I would always pick to present to 1,000 people, I couldn't then claim that I make decisions on the way I present based on how many people will show up to hear it.

vCash
    I didn't say you're making a bad decision, and I'm not even the one who said you're hurting the program. But you can't claim to not care about site clicks and then say that you make your decisions based on how many site clicks it gets, basically confirming his point that you will post negative things over positive ones because it generates more traffic.

Just like if I was the insurance salesman you describe, and I would always pick to present to 1,000 people, I couldn't then claim that I make decisions on the way I present based on how many people will show up to hear it.
    Ok, fine. I care if people read what I write. Otherwise there would be no purpose to doing it. My main point was that I'm not trying to generate a bunch of page views. It was insinuated that that is what I'm trying to do - whether it be for monetary gain or to advance me as a writer. But that is not true. I do check my stats obviously because I care that I'm not speaking to an empty audience.