Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mullen vs. Croom based on records and facts

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cubswillwinitonedaydawg View Post
    Teams that were upset when Croom "got our team up a few times":
    7-5 Florida in 04
    8-4 Auburn in 07
    7-5 Kentucky in 07
    6-6 Alabama in 07 (if you include the vacated wins)
    6-6 Vandy in 08

All program changing wins right there for sure**
    \

exactly- wins by Mullen vs teams with those records arent counted as upsets by the anti-Mullen crew
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    \

exactly- wins by Mullen vs teams with those records arent counted as upsets by the anti-Mullen crew
    It's like preachermatt constantly giving Charlie Weis credit for 'upsetting' West Virginia and stating that if Mullen would just do that a couple times, nobody would be talking about firing him.

So apparently beating someone with a better record than you is all it's about, regardless of what your record is. If you're 2-10 but one of those wins came against a 4-8 team, that is apparently much better than going 7-5 but only beating teams who were 5-7 or 6-6. It's asinine.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Croom Diaries View Post
    I'm just trying to help put all the information out there, and yes, I do spin it....but I try to at least give both arguments a fair shake.
    Uh, WHAT??

Good Lord, son. Just stop.

vCash
    For the "Mediocrity" crowd, here's a question no one has asked and none of you have bothered to answer:

With the current state of the SEC, and specificially the SEC West, name for me which of these teams you think we should/could pass to no longer be "mediocre" in your eyes:

1. Bama
    2. LSU
    3. Auburn
    4. aTm
    5. Arkansas (bad this year but historically better than us since joining the SEC)
    6. SCar
    7. Mizzou
    8. UGA
    9. Florida
    10. TN (same as Arkansas)

In my mind, we're about the same or better than Vandy, UK, and the Bearz. So which of the "Big 7" or next 3 for the "Big 10" are we supposed to pass to no longer be "mediocre?" And before you go spouting off about the increase in our athletic budget, remember that the 10 schools I listed have also had their budgets increased the same amount we have.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash

That article was Croomtastic.

Please compare our offensive stats between Croom's Gulf Coast Offense and Mullen's Zone Read Offense. Both coaches were hired for their offensive prowess. That comparison will tell you all you need to know. Frankly I've read a number of your articles and I don't think you are stupid. So I have to chalk this up to an agenda.

vCash
    Need to look at the conference as a whole in that era, Auburn lost a home and home to USCw , Alabama lost a home and he with Oklahoma. Zook and Muschamp have identical records. The SEC is light years ahead of what it was in the 2003-2008 timeframe.

vCash
    I think we can realistically pass Missouri, South Carolina, and Arkansas at some point long-term. The rest, with their resources and history, will be difficult to ever truly pass in terms of the program itself...we can definitely be better for a period of time, though.

vCash
    But your Slight to mullen that he has not had an upset, stands out the most here
    Mullen?s 23 SEC losses were against teams that had a combined 244-59 record (.805).
    The teams Mullen should upset are AVERAGING a 10-3 season.

You say that is the same as Croom whoupset teams that were overall averaging a 8-5 season.

The truth is it is hard to be an average team right now in the SEC West. When we play 5 teams currently ranked in the top 12 teams in the BCS, it's hard to win games.

Have we missed opportunities, yes. Do I wish it was better, yes.

But really? Comparisons to Croom? an Justification by saying they have the same number of losses, but the competition is 27% tougher by record? and saying that it's only bowl games is a laughable "Difference" That's like saying I'm the same as Bill Gates, except for the money.

Banned
    vCash
    That's a terrible ranking. It's simple: Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, LSU, Florida and Georgia are the 'haves' of the SEC. They pretty much dictate their success, always have. MSU, Ole Miss, Vandy, Kentucky, South Carolina and Arkansas are the schools that are somewhat dependent on outside influences to have success. Some may want to swap Carolina and Tennessee but I don't think that's smart. I'm looking historically. Where do Texas A&M and Missouri fit into this? Good question. A&M will likely be a have in another decade but I'm not sure they are there yet. Missouri is a have-not for now.

Our goal should be to be the best of the have-nots, on a general basis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    For the "Mediocrity" crowd, here's a question no one has asked and none of you have bothered to answer:

With the current state of the SEC, and specificially the SEC West, name for me which of these teams you think we should/could pass to no longer be "mediocre" in your eyes:

1. Bama
    2. LSU
    3. Auburn
    4. aTm
    5. Arkansas (bad this year but historically better than us since joining the SEC)
    6. SCar
    7. Mizzou
    8. UGA
    9. Florida

In my mind, we're about the same or better than Vandy, UK, and the Bearz. So which of the "Big 7" or next 3 for the "Big 10" are we supposed to pass to no longer be "mediocre?" And before you go spouting off about the increase in our athletic budget, remember that the 10 schools I listed have also had their budgets increased the same amount we have.
    This is a very good way of looking at expectations. Sort of like Tennessee hiring a baseball coach, who are they goin to pass?

vCash
    Mullen has lost 15 straight games vs ranked teams... 0-15...
    He is 0-19 vs Top 20 teams. He is 2-21 vs Top 25 teams.
    Our last win over a ranked team was UF #22 in 2010.
    What has he done for us lately???

L LSU #7
    L GT #25
    L UF #1
    L Bama #2
    W Ole Miss #25

L Auburn #21
    L LSU #15
    W UF #22
    L Bama #12
    L Ark #13

L LSU #3
    L SC #15
    L Bama #3
    L Arky #6

L Bama #1
    L A&M #16
    L LSU #7
    L NW #20

L OSU #13
    L LSU #10
    L SC #14
    L A&M #15
    L Bama #1

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwater99 View Post
    Mullen has lost 15 straight games vs ranked teams... 0-15...
    He is 0-19 vs Top 20 teams. He is 2-21 vs Top 25 teams.
    Our last win over a ranked team was UF #22 in 2010.
    What has he done for us lately???

L LSU #7
    L GT #25
    L UF #1
    L Bama #2
    W Ole Miss #25

L Auburn #21
    L LSU #15
    W UF #22
    L Bama #12
    L Ark #13

L LSU #3
    L SC #15
    L Bama #3
    L Arky #6

L Bama #1
    L A&M #16
    L LSU #7
    L NW #20

L OSU #13
    L LSU #10
    L SC #14
    L A&M #15
    L Bama #1
    So I suppose you wouldn't really mind if we went 1-11 so long as that 1 win was over a top 25 ranked team? Because that's pretty much all you've spouted for the past several weeks/months, while ignoring every other criteria imaginable.

Senior Member The Croom Diaries's Avatar
    vCash
    \

He's only beaten three SEC teams that finished with a winning record, and none since 2010. He's done a good job of polishing off bad teams. He's a good coach, but he hasn't proven to be a very good coach. I think $2.7 million per year deserves a very good coach. Maybe he will turn into one, maybe not. Maybe $2.7 just gets you a good coach and that's it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post

1. Bama
    2. LSU
    3. Auburn
    4. aTm
    6. SCar
    7. Mizzou
    8. UGA
    9. Florida

You don't have to pass anyone. If we could just beat maybe one team we aren't favored against per year that would be enough to not be doing the minimum, which is: beating non-conference teams and SEC dumpster fires. Undoubtedly, folks will want more once that does come to fruition, but at least for the next 3-4 years I think that would be enough.

vCash
    I didn't bother to read it. There's simply no comparison...thx

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EAVdog View Post
    Please compare our offensive stats between Croom's Gulf Coast Offense and Mullen's Zone Read Offense. Both coaches were hired for their offensive prowess. That comparison will tell you all you need to know. Frankly I've read a number of your articles and I don't think you are stupid. So I have to chalk this up to an agenda.
    Ha, yes, this was obviously a swing and a miss. I've heard it from all sides of the aisle. I've written about 1,500 articles over the past 3 years and every now and then you just screw the pooch. And this one I thought was good and so I put it on this board and got nailed. It happens. I'm okay with taking the punishment.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NewTweederEndzoneDance View Post
    So I suppose you wouldn't really mind if we went 1-11 so long as that 1 win was over a top 25 ranked team? Because that's pretty much all you've spouted for the past several weeks/months, while ignoring every other criteria imaginable.
    Now that's just asinine to think that way. I expect an one upset in year 3, 4, or 5.
    Hell, in one week this year Ole Miss, Vandy, Tenn, Auburn, and Mizzo all beat ranked teams.
    We haven't beaten one since 2010, let that sink in..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    Hunter nailed it, although Dan wasn't going to Miami unless they built a new stadium, new facilities, and threw up a statue of him before he arrived on campus.
    This. I don't think Mullen has been job searching at all. He may be now, but not before this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Croom Diaries View Post
    I think $2.7 million per year deserves a very good coach. Maybe he will turn into one, maybe not. Maybe $2.7 just gets you a good coach and that's it.
    2.7MM will be 12-13 in the SEC next season
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    2.7MM will be 12-13 in the SEC next season
    Well, it's stil 2.7 million. Just sayin