Thread: My new toys!

vCash

My new toys!

Bring on the deer (or zombies.....preferably zombies)

Marlin Lever Guns.jpg

Both are Marlin lever actions. Top one is a 1895 Guide Gun in 45-70. The bottom one is a model 336 in 30-30. I decorated each with Skinner "Black Gold" peep sights and custom leather from Double D Custom Leather out of Wasila Alaska.
    Last edited by DownwardDawg; 11-07-2013 at 10:10 PM. Reason: I didn't give gun info

vCash
    Those are beautiful

vCash
    very nice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    Those are beautiful
    Thanks BeastMan. I've never owned a lever gun in my life and now I'm hooked. These things are a blast to shoot. The Mississippi primitive weapon laws turned me on to the 45-70 and I fell in love with the caliber. My shoulder is sore from shooting half a day Tuesday!

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    Beautiful guns. Just for my own curiosity, why did you go with lever action?

vCash
    the guys I hunt with sometimes in Natchez use lever actions on horseback to hog hunt. I've never been because you've got to be way more proficient on a horse than I am, but it sounds like a blast. they'll actually scramble a crop duster sometimes to spot hogs for them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Interpolation_Dawg_EX View Post
    Beautiful guns. Just for my own curiosity, why did you go with lever action?
    I already own a single shot H&R 45-70. I have several bolt action and semi-automatic firearms. I just never owned a lever gun and I all of a sudden started really wanting one. The 45-70 Guide Gun is my favorite of all my guns now. It's just a blast to shoot and now I'm getting into reloading.

Hack,
    That sounds like a blast! Although I'm not too keen on horses either.

vCash
    it's more sport than kill for them. hunting hogs with a 30-30 is child's play. they rarely lose a hog but they hunt them for the game of it... not to eat them. if you're hunting to eat hogs, you need to kill it instantly.

vCash
    now you need to add their .444 for a complete colection

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    Bring on the deer (or zombies.....preferably zombies)

Marlin Lever Guns.jpg

Both are Marlin lever actions. Top one is a 1895 Guide Gun in 45-70. The bottom one is a model 336 in 30-30. I decorated each with Skinner "Black Gold" peep sights and custom leather from Double D Custom Leather out of Wasila Alaska.
    Downward, I am looking for that exact lever action marlin 30-30. Can you either post or PM me the info on where you got it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Downward, I am looking for that exact lever action marlin 30-30. Can you either post or PM me the info on where you got it?
    PM sent

I bought both at Gander Mountain.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    now you need to add their .444 for a complete colection
    Damnit!! Just when I think I'm finished for a while you go and post this! I was actually thinking about the 44 magnum lever action. Wouldn't that be cool? Guess I gotta go look at the 444 now. Crap! It's a sickness I tell you!!

vCash
    Damnit!! Just when I think I'm finished for a while you go and post this! I was actually thinking about the 44 magnum lever action. Wouldn't that be cool? Guess I gotta go look at the 444 now. Crap! It's a sickness I tell you!!
    when using a rifle - stay away from pistol cartridges - .444 is a "44 super magnum" - same bullet but a lot more powder in the casing

vCash
    Just jumping in on the lever action talk. My grandpa has an old marlin lever action chambered in .35 Remington. It is one of the best deer hunting rifles I have ever had the priveledge of using. I like hunting in thick areas so I'm usually not looking for a long range gun. Just throwing my $0.02 out there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WeWillScrewItUp View Post
    Just jumping in on the lever action talk. My grandpa has an old marlin lever action chambered in .35 Remington. It is one of the best deer hunting rifles I have ever had the priveledge of using. I like hunting in thick areas so I'm usually not looking for a long range gun. Just throwing my $0.02 out there.
    That's a great cartridge. Little heavier bullet than a 30-30 with a little more "kill distance". I've developed a sickness. They call it Marlinitis. I want a Marlin in every caliber.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    when using a rifle - stay away from pistol cartridges - .444 is a "44 super magnum" - same bullet but a lot more powder in the casing
    I just think they are cool. I have a 357 magnum revolver and a 38 revolver. A Marlin 1894 chambered in 357 magnum would be cool too. Just fun shooters I think. I will always hunt with the 45-70 and the 30-30. I may be getting that 444 though. You got me looking!

vCash
    I just think they are cool. I have a 357 magnum revolver and a 38 revolver. A Marlin 1894 chambered in 357 magnum would be cool too. Just fun shooters I think. I will always hunt with the 45-70 and the 30-30. I may be getting that 444 though. You got me looking!
    Have not shot the lever action 444 but did shoot a deer with the 444 last year using a H&R and I liked it better than the 45-70 H&R

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WeWillScrewItUp View Post
    Have not shot the lever action 444 but did shoot a deer with the 444 last year using a H&R and I liked it better than the 45-70 H&R
    It's a great cartridge but the 45-70 has got to be the coolest round ever. If you read about it, it's very interesting how long it's been around and the uses for it. The range of ammo is unbelievable especially if you reload. Alaskan guides carry it for a reason. Grizzly's are not to be played with!!!

vCash
    It's a great cartridge but the 45-70 has got to be the coolest round ever. If you read about it, it's very interesting how long it's been around and the uses for it. The range of ammo is unbelievable especially if you reload. Alaskan guides carry it for a reason. Grizzly's are not to be played with!!!
    I agree that they are both great rounds I'm strictly speaking from a personal choice perspective. I did shoot an armadillo with a 45-70 one day. We were out shooting and a buddy said I couldn't hit it. We found bits and pieces of it afterwards, he was wrong.

vCash
    The 45-70 will put em down, but mine is my least favorite to shoot. My brings the wood. I think I would rather sight my .338 back in than that little joker.