Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hopson apparently out at usm

vCash
    Only two or three Sun Belt programs have smaller athletic budgets than USM. Arkansas State, for example, has a 40% bigger budget than USM. They have done pretty well considering that.

vCash
    Y'all think Hudspeth has had enough time with his family??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fader21 View Post
    Y'all think Hudspeth has had enough time with his family??
    Not even a consideration.

vCash
    Looks like it's done. Let's see if they can pull Hall or Johns. At least it's something sports related to talk about.

vCash
    1. Hopson has been a state of MS employee for years and was eligible for retirement. He just did 4 years at USM which were his highest 4, he resigned and will get a large retirement salary from the state. He played that like a fiddle.

2. Few close friends that work at USM and still live in Hattiesburg (I lived there for 8 years) and every one of them has told me, at a different time, that the word around campus, coffee shops, and the street is there is a BIG push for Freeze. 😂

vCash
    Freeze would absolutely kill it there, and it wouldn’t surprise me if he got a big recruit every now and then. I hope he stays away.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZedFedder View Post
    Freeze would absolutely kill it there, and it wouldn’t surprise me if he got a big recruit every now and then. I hope he stays away.
    At one time perhaps he would, but until I see a huge change in fan support, excitement, and buy-in for a guy, I don't think anyone will move the needle much in results.

vCash
    USM is after Hall at Tulane and Johns at Memphis. Those are the top two on their list. Freeze isn't an option at all.

vCash
    According to Brett McMurphy, here is the initial list of candidates

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/se...sec-assistant/

vCash
    Freeze making $2mil...he ain't leaving for a 50% pay cut and no moolah for assistants at USM

Archimedes
    vCash
    They don?t have the money to pay anyone worth a crap. I bet 75% of SEC assistants make within 30% of what they can afford.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by was21 View Post
    Freeze making $2mil...he ain't leaving for a 50% pay cut and no moolah for assistants at USM
    Tend to agree. Also, he won't have the "network" at USM that will carry him along like he did at OM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WinningIsRelentless View Post
    They don?t have the money to pay anyone worth a crap. I bet 75% of SEC assistants make within 30% of what they can afford.
    Yeah. And the problem with that is it means that a guy like a Todd Grantham would have to take a paycut if he wanted to be the head coach there. Just as an example.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Tend to agree. Also, he won't have the "network" at USM that will carry him along like he did at OM.
    Freeze's recruiting at Liberty hasn't been much to write home about. Not that I would expect him to pull five stars there- but he has been recruiting mostly 2-3 star guys for them.

vCash
    USM will never hire Freeze, Nix, Fedora or Monken. It's Hall and Johns.
    USM is talking up to $1M for a HC and like $1.7M for assistants. Supposedly a couple boosters are going to cover it. We shall see.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    USM will never hire Freeze, Nix, Fedora or Monken. It's Hall and Johns.
    USM is talking up to $1M for a HC and like $1.7M for assistants. Supposedly a couple boosters are going to cover it. We shall see.
    I thought it was pretty funny that on Twitter some of the candidates were their ex-head coaches. That would be like MSU having Jackie, Croom, Dan, and Joe as candidates for our job. As I've said before I can't see Freeze taking a pay cut and going there unless he just really wants to come back to Mississippi. I think he's in a better situation at Liberty. Nix sucks as a DC- which typically means he would be even worse as a head coach.

Honestly, if I were them I'd kick the tires on Rich Rodriguez. If they pull it off they might be able to get Plumlee down the road.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I thought it was pretty funny that on Twitter some of the candidates were their ex-head coaches. That would be like MSU having Jackie, Croom, Dan, and Joe as candidates for our job. As I've said before I can't see Freeze taking a pay cut and going there unless he just really wants to come back to Mississippi. I think he's in a better situation at Liberty. Nix sucks as a DC- which typically means he would be even worse as a head coach.

Honestly, if I were them I'd kick the tires on Rich Rodriguez. If they pull it off they might be able to get Plumlee down the road.

That would be hilarious.

vCash
    Couldn't happen to a better group. They really should go FCS.... there budget is shrinking and they can't afford to stay D1.

I can't say i didn't laugh a little when the dirty birds lost.