Thread: David Johnson

vCash

David Johnson

Has anyone heard any updates on his condition recently? They said he was still in critical condition over 2 weeks ago, and I haven't seen anything since. Hoping things have improved.

vCash
    I saw something over the weekend. He was off the vent but was still in pretty tough shape. I think he was on the vent for nearly three weeks.

vCash
    I believe I read that at one point he had a 5% chance and now he's off the ventilator. Pretty awesome.

vCash
    He is doing much better. I would not say 💯 out of the woods, but certainly leaning that way

vCash
    One thing I have worried about is people having permanent lung damage from COVID. Amazing that he is off the vent though.

Archimedes
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg2003 View Post
    One thing I have worried about is people having permanent lung damage from COVID. Amazing that he is off the vent though.
    Like 90% of covid-19 pts that go on a vent and make it are losing 30 to 40% lung capacity.

Banned
    vCash
    Dang. That is a terrible stat. Where did you read that? I know there have been mentions here and there about reduced lung capacity, but I haven't seen real numbers.

Good for David, I don't know him personally, but I have been praying for him and his caregivers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WinningIsRelentless View Post
    Like 90% of covid-19 pts that go on a vent and make it are losing 30 to 40% lung capacity.
    Can you gain that back, or is it permanent?

vCash
    Can you gain that back, or is it permanent?
    It's permanent. When they're pulling the fluid from your lungs, lung tissue leaves with it. It's like your lungs melt. Also, they're having a time with blood pressure and sepsis. People are losing fingers and toes and in some cases limbs too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    It's permanent. When they're pulling the fluid from your lungs, lung tissue leaves with it. It's like your lungs melt. Also, they're having a time with blood pressure and sepsis. People are losing fingers and toes and in some cases limbs too.
    Yikes, I didn't realize that happened with the lung tissue.

vCash
    Yikes, I didn't realize that happened with the lung tissue.
    It's likely due to tissue scarring from the inflammation in the lungs due to the virus. I think it's probably a little early to know how many patients are going to recover lung function and to what extent. That type of thing takes time to watch. Of course every patient is going to be different and starting from a different baseline.

For David Johnson, I know at one point he had to go on dialysis which is common in the critically ill. Hopefully his kidneys will recover which can be hit or miss in a situation like that. Great news that he's off the ventilator and out of the ICU. Definitely a long road ahead but he's made some of the biggest steps already.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    They are also leaving the hospital with liver and kidney issues that will stay with them forever as well. Many also develop heart failure as a result of having the disease. The people that are saying this is overblown aren't really paying attention.

vCash
    There seems to be a genetic disposition that plays a role on how the virus reacts... also Type A blood types seem to more at risk.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    He is doing much better. I would not say �� out of the woods, but certainly leaning that way
    That's awesome, good to hear

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    There seems to be a genetic disposition that plays a role on how the virus reacts... also Type A blood types seem to more at risk.
    That's interesting. It will give me a project for tonight's reading time..

The range of symptoms and outcomes almost look like multiple diseases.