Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Re-visiting Scott Stricklin

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgman View Post
    I fully understand that others at State have bent the rules, but none with the audacity of Tyler. When he knew he was guilty, he got a state injunction to allow Larry Guillard to play. And lo and behold the injunction was overturned and we went on probation, including the forfeits. Looking to the short term, not the long term. To blatantly pull off this maneuver put us on the outlaw list with the NCAA where we get no benefit of the doubt with them. You can go ahead and believe all the fairy tales you wish. You probably believe the only infraction was the clothing discount also. Bob Tyler pushed this myth so hard it became truth to those that wanted to see no evil, hear no evil and speak no evil fans. I too was a student a the time. As I said, he had no shame in telling you a lie and all the while knowing you were aware of the lie, daring you to call his hand. I knew football players and what they got.
    The report is pretty clear - it was a lot more than the suit discount - https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/m...port?id=101990
    3. NCAA Bylaw l-l-(a) [improper recruiting inducements] -- (i) A representative of
    the University's athletic interests offered to provide a prospective student-athlete with
    spending money any time he needed it if the young man would seriously consider
    attending Mississippi State University; (ii) A representative of the University's athletic
    interests encouraged a prospective student-athlete to sign a Southeastern Conference
    letter-of-intent by offering to provide the young man a cash payment during each
    semester of his attendance at the University; (iii) A representative of the University's
    athletic interests encouraged a prospective student-athlete to enroll in the University by
    offering to provide the young man a cash payment during each semester of his attendance
    at the University and, in addition, a cash bonus when he signed a Southeastern
    Conference letter-of-intent with the University; (iv) A representative of the University's
    athletic interests gave a prospective student-athlete cash on two occasions to spend for his
    own personal reasons; (v) A representative of the University's athletic interests gave a
    prospective student-athlete cash on two occasions to encourage his enrollment in the
    University, and (vi) A prospective student-athlete was given cash by a representative of
    the University's athletic interests to encourage his enrollment in the University.

4. NCAA Bylaws l-l-(a) and l-5-(e) [improper recruiting inducements and improper
    transportation] -- (i) Numerous prospective student-athletes were given cash for
    entertainment expenses directly by assistant football coaches during their official visits to
    the University's campus; (ii) Two representatives of the University's athletic interests
    provided improper transportation to two prospective student-athletes; (iii) During his
    official visit to the University's campus, a prospective student-athlete was entertained offcampus at the expense of the University; (iv) A representative of the University's athletic
    interests was provided improper transportation to a prospective student-athlete, and (v)
    An assistant football coach provided improper transportation to a prospective studentathlete.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Strick/Keenum got rid of Stands because of the drama around the program, the failed drug tests by the players, and the "image of Stands being a dirty recruiter". We all know that basketball recruiting is the dirtiest thing on the planet- so it is what it is. Strick was calling in former players and asking them if Stands had given them money during recruiting and such. That is the reason guys that wanted the job werent hired because Strick/Keenum wanted to clean up the image of the program. Enter Rick Ray and he teaches Strick/Keenum a valuable lesson.

Strick didnt hire Howland. Strick wanted to give Ray 1 more year. Told my buddy that at the SEC Tourney that season. Then we had boosters drop Howland in Strick's lap. Then Adidas joined in the push. Goodbye Ray- Strick's hand was forced.

Mullen respected Byrne and Cohen- Mullen looked at Strick as the cheerleader he was in HS.

Jeremy Foley hired Mullen. Foley fought it as long as he could- but after they got turned down 3-4 times, Foley bit the bullet and made Strick call Mullen before Tenn got him. Foley and Spurrier made the football hire- Strick just made the phone call. Strick is the face at Fla and does the PR- Foley didnt want to do that shit anymore. But Foley and Spurrier make the big decisions in that athletic dept
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is