Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MSU Offenses over the last 20 years sorted by Run/Pass/Total

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    We didn't have a receiver reach 400 yards. Do y'all realize how hard that is to accomplish in today's game? Even Army had a guy with 400 yards.
    You could take our leading WR from this year (Deddrick with 390) and add last year's leading WR (Guidry with 440) and you're still 170 yards away from 1,000 yards.... geez.

vCash
    He just needs more time********

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    We didn't have a receiver reach 400 yards. Do y'all realize how hard that is to accomplish in today's game? Even Army had a guy with 400 yards.
    Just wait until Javonta Payton gets here next year. According to Steve is an NFL guy. True difference maker. Damn NCAA and making him sit out this year.

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Technetium View Post
    Stats like YPG can be misleading given the tempo differences among offenses (e.g., "check with me" is likely going to be slower than hurry up, and so will likely produce fewer total yards but perhaps with benefit of greater time of possession).

While these have their own flaws, below are additional stats I think would be necessary for context when comparing vs historical data:

Offensive Points Per Game vs Power 5 opponents (points win games)
    Points Per Possession vs Power 5 opponents (how efficient are we at turning offensive possessions into points)
    Yards per Play vs Power 5 opponents, ideally broken down by passing & running plays (how efficient is the offense at generating yardage)
    Yards per Possession vs Power 5 opponents (how far do we typically move the ball on offense each possession; while impacted by starting position, it nicely ignores Air Raid vs 3-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust strategy differences)
    Good call. I don't have time to do a deep dive -- I told someone else in another thread I was going to soon, but I've been slammed at work; I'll get on it soon, y'all -- but here's some of the stuff you're looking for, at least among SEC teams:

(I didn't make that, by the way. Credit goes to this dude -- and, yes, I can see what team he roots for -- whose stuff I find retweeted by Bill Connelly frequently.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prediction? Pain. View Post
    Good call. I don't have time to do a deep dive -- I told someone else in another thread I was going to soon, but I've been slammed at work; I'll get on it soon, y'all -- but here's some of the stuff you're looking for, at least among SEC teams:

(I didn't make that, by the way. Credit goes to this dude -- and, yes, I can see what team he roots for -- whose stuff I find retweeted by Bill Connelly frequently.)
    Great stuff Prediction!!

Looks like our offense was middle of the pack, while our defense was simply atrocious! Funny how Shoop gets a pass, yet Moorhead is continually raked over the coals.

Using emotion, I think our suspended players had a HUGE (much larger than gets discussed) impact on us this year. While they wouldn't have helped us move the ball, I would say they not only impacted the defensive stats but our offensive starting position (which we're again at the bottom).

vCash
    Also interesting that Ole Miss' defense was better than ours in all categories except TO margin.

If you would have asked me who ranked worse, I would have said theirs by a large margin.

vCash
    Cant really compare offenses from 2005 to 2019. We have had an offensive explosion since 2000- due to the hurry ups, check with me's, targeting rules to hamper defense, hitting defenseless players, etc.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is