Thread: Got on a killer bass bite

vCash

Got on a killer bass bite

As many of y?all know the Ross Barnett Reservoir has been my albatross. It?s had its way with me too often. I?ve had limited success here and there. Yesterday I fished the P-Bay side for the first time in years and found a small school of bass and stayed on them. I was in a creek mouth off a canal. My question is how odd was it to find that pattern? I?ve talked to a few people who say they?ve started schooling in the main lake. Is there always resident fish in ?backwater? ? I?m trying to figure out if I actually learned something or did I just cover a bunch of water and luckily stumble across something.

Whatever it was, was a blast. They were blowing up all around me in a stretch where I got a few frog bites in a row and I switched to a flashy swimmer with a swim bait and they will nailing it. I was just kinda fan-casting but would toss in the direction of blowups.

vCash
    Nice. I have only fished for stripped bass below the spillway,,,,,which was over 20 years ago.

vCash
    As long as they have sufficient depth nearby they will usually hang around there, especially if there is forage. You always have some resident fish in those areas.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by State82 View Post
    As long as they have sufficient depth nearby they will usually hang around there, especially if there is forage. You always have some resident fish in those areas.
    I was 50-100 yards away from 17-20 ft of water

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    Yep. Those fish really have no reason to move very far. Plenty of bait fish and bluegills to keep them fat and happy. The Bay is a great area to concentrate/learn in especially since you are kayak angler. Everything the fish need, not too large and not too small and you don’t have far to go to get out of trouble if the weather turns bad on you. Plus the Bay traditionally harbors the largest fish in Barnett.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    P-Bay has been good to me over the years. I dont go try them as much as I used too but if you can get back in those canals and in the lilly pads and docks you can usually find some fish.

I always fished Texas Rig purple worm and a top water or swimming frog

vCash
    With the bay being closed and limiting the amount of pressure fishing should be good. Bass are schooling once the water warms a little and shad start moving. I have a love/hate relationship with the Rez right now.