Thread: O.T. Hertz car rental

vCash

O.T. Hertz car rental

Has anyone been dinged by Hertz after turning in a car and getting a claim letter saying there was damage? Me and a buddy just got back from South Dakota and they are telling me I owe them for a chip in windshield. My friend refuses to do business with them because they diid this to him in past for something he did not do. Comments welcome?

vCash
    I owe them a $25 "processing fee" for sending me a letter to tell me I had a toll violation. I had paid the traffic violation already. They told me I can't rent through them again until I paid it. I said OK.

vCash
    They have not let me know how much yet. The chip is so small you can barely see it. Afraid they are going to hit me for a new windshield. Apparently , this is their MO

vCash
    Never had a problem with them. They upgraded me in Denver because they gave my car away but didn’t cost me anything extra for the BMW.

vCash
    You didn't inspect the car with one of their associates before you left the lot and You didn't wait and let them inspect the car with you looking then make them sign off that it was ok?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    You didn't inspect the car with one of their associates before you left the lot and You didn't wait and let them inspect the car with you looking then make them sign off that it was ok?
    Inspected before leaving but not sure we would have seen this chip. It's that small!

vCash
    If it was inspected prior to departure by their staff and they didn't see it, that's on them. At least that would be my argument.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    I've rented from Hertz for years....I turned a car in one time that my wife had driven over a curb and destroyed the tire and rim....I drove it 120 miles on the tiny spare and turned it in....No charge.....each location is different though, at busier places they tend not to sweat the small stuff because they just want to get the car back out on the road.

Archimedes
    vCash
    Call and cancel your card that you used to pay for it asap

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Madisonmd View Post
    Inspected before leaving but not sure we would have seen this chip. It's that small!
    I rent from Enterprise a lot. Their policy is if it is smaller then a dime them you are not responsible. I had a chip one time that was bigger then a dime. I took it to a glass repair shop and had it fix for 38.00. They never knew the difference.

I never use their insurance. It is nice because you are not responsible for anything. Most credit cards will pay what your insurance doesn't pay when you rent a card. Your credit card comes with rental insurance. Most of them do. So I never use the car rental insurance.
    Last edited by Jack Lambert; 05-13-2019 at 04:26 PM.

vCash
    I'm in the president's circle with hertz. Never had any issues with them. Might just be the location you visited.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    I rent from Enterprise a lot. Their policy is if it is smaller then a dime them you are not responsible. I had a chip one time that was bigger then a dime. I took it to a glass repair shop and had it fix for 38.00. They never knew the difference.

I never use their insurance. It is nice because you are not responsible for anything. Most credit cards will pay what your insurance doesn't pay when you rent a card. Your credit card comes with rental insurance. Most of them do. So I never use the car rental insurance.
    Here is a new one Jack, If you do not take their insurance and the car is wrecked, they can charge you the daily rental rate until the vehicle is back in service. !!!!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Dawg View Post
    Here is a new one Jack, If you do not take their insurance and the car is wrecked, they can charge you the daily rental rate until the vehicle is back in service. !!!!!!!
    OD, you are right! My hunting buddy had that happen to him with Hertz. Be aware if you ever use Hertz in Rapid City,SD, they will nickel and dime you to death on the damages. Its a racket there for some reason.

vCash
    Btw, just got my claim bill in from Hertz for $165 for a chip in windshield I can barely see.