Thread: Any of yall heard of Giles Island? (deer hunting)

vCash

Any of yall heard of Giles Island? (deer hunting)

A buddy I grew up with is a guide there and I stopped through his house the other day b/c I saw him cleaning a deer in the driveway. I chatted him up about his gig there and it sounds sick. They have big deer management down to a science. The lodging and food is like the ritz calrton of deer camps. Anybody been? The hunts are pricey but if anyone is interested I can get you in touch with my buddy who guides there.

vCash
    This monster got taken in December 2012
    p1356148031.jpg

vCash
    And here is a video of all the deer they recorded and didn't shoot last year. "The One's That Got Away"

vCash
    that's amazing ... usually island deer are very small in body and headgear ... these guys look like corn fed Illinois bucks

this must not be a coastal island - where is it ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    that's amazing ... usually island deer are very small in body and headgear ... these guys look like corn fed Illinois bucks

this must not be a coastal island - where is it ?
    It actually a MS address. It sits in the MS river but closer to the LA side. Right across from natchez

vCash
    It's pretty badass.
    I have never been there, but when I was growing up my father was a member of Rodney Island hunting club.
    It is just north of there and very similar, but I think a little smaller. It was like being on a safari in Africa, the deer ran together in large herds.
    I need to find out if I can get in that club...

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    A buddy I grew up with is a guide there and I stopped through his house the other day b/c I saw him cleaning a deer in the driveway. I chatted him up about his gig there and it sounds sick. They have big deer management down to a science. The lodging and food is like the ritz calrton of deer camps. Anybody been? The hunts are pricey but if anyone is interested I can get you in touch with my buddy who guides there.
    When I was researching Giles Island, I came across Hickory Hills Hunting Preserve and they have exotic hunts as well as whitetail hunts. They also offer hunts within their 2000 acre enclosure and hunts outside of the enclosure. Check it out, it's pretty solid.http://www.hickoryhillshunting.com/index.htm

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwater99 View Post
    It's pretty badass.
    I have never been there, but when I was growing up my father was a member of Rodney Island hunting club.
    It is just north of there and very similar, but I think a little smaller. It was like being on a safari in Africa, the deer ran together in large herds.
    I need to find out if I can get in that club...
    It's been bought by an oil magnate from Nola. They have about 30k acres of ag, WRP, and hardwoods from just north of Ntz, up to Rodney. Very limited hunting and some really sick deer.

Do you know who owned it when your dad hunted there? IP?

vCash
    it's hard to get permission to hunt there from what I remember. If y'all are bi hunters, I'd definitely take Beast up on his offer. Natchez deer are bigger than the rest of the state IMO. I think it's because of the river and how fertile the ground is around there combined with the thick woods surrounding the area. the delta is great too, but it's a lot of flat farmland and the deer tend to get hunted out a little more quickly there. Bucks survive longer in Natchez.

I know the family that owns Church Hill produce and they've got 100's of thousands of acres spread out from Roxie, to Bude, to church hill, to Natchez, to Woodville. Killed my first deer the first time I went hunting with them, before I even got out of the truck, and I don't even deer hunt.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by turkish View Post
    It's been bought by an oil magnate from Nola. They have about 30k acres of ag, WRP, and hardwoods from just north of Ntz, up to Rodney. Very limited hunting and some really sick deer.

Do you know who owned it when your dad hunted there? IP?
    I love snatch. the movie... not saying I don't love the other, but not trying to be vulgar.

vCash
    I know a fella that guides there as well. That place is very well managed and it produces incredible deer. I certainly plan to hunt there.... as soon as I can afford it.

Banned
    vCash
    One time but I wasn't hunting.

vCash
    Went on a paid hunt there. Very impressive