Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: GOT: Season 8

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Is there a time length for the finale yet? Really hope it pushes 2 hours
    I guess when you do the math we are getting 10 one hour long episodes. But still it seems so rushed. These character arcs were formed over years and then knee capped for the sake of wrapping things up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    I think Dany is going to kill Tyrion and/or Sansa and Jon will break free after that. Arya will kill Dany IMO. Jon will fight the unsullied.

I keep waiting for Bron to take over the dragon. Seems like they would've worked that in by now.

Jon will accept the Iron throne with a heavy heart. Only he and Arya survive.
    The North holds all the power now with the destruction of King's Landing. Sansa will be the Queen ruling from the North. Dany kills Tyrion for releasing Jaime although he and Cersei are dead. Dany gets killed when she moves against Sansa. Jon goes Beyond the Wall to live alone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Is there a time length for the finale yet? Really hope it pushes 2 hours
    I believe it is about the same around 1 hr 20 minutes.

I think you are right about Tyrion. She already told him another mistake would be his last. It makes me think that either they find Jamie with Cersei and she then asks how he got away.

I think Dany is just broken now. You also have to think that the Unsullied and the Kalsar are cutthroats anyway. They have no problem with burning women and children even if they surrendered.

vCash
    OK, there's a guy on YouTube that has a theory that GRRM is letting the two Davids flame out the series while he comes in with a completely different take on the ending in his next two books.

And he goes conspiracy theory: GRRM has finished both books ALREADY! He's waiting to throw some shade and push his books as THE true ending. Pushing sales through the roof.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    OK, there's a guy on YouTube that has a theory that GRRM is letting the two Davids flame out the series while he comes in with a completely different take on the ending in his next two books.

And he goes conspiracy theory: GRRM has finished both books ALREADY! He's waiting to throw some shade and push his books as THE true ending. Pushing sales through the roof.
    It was actually the actor who played Ser Barristan Selmy who was killed off the show a couple of seasons ago. He said it at a Con. He said that D&D had a deal with GRRM to not release the books until the show was over so it didn't affect their ending. He said that book 6&7 are done and that is the end of the Song of Ice and Fire.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    It was actually the actor who played Ser Barristan Selmy who was killed off the show a couple of seasons ago. He said it at a Con. He said that D&D had a deal with GRRM to not release the books until the show was over so it didn't affect their ending. He said that book 6&7 are done and that is the end of the Song of Ice and Fire.
    No, it was a Youtuber who probably saw that vid and tried to sound relevant.

On a side note, I'm interested about the Wheel of Time series coming to Amazon Prime next year. That's a very GoT setting with tons of character development.

vCash
    No, it was a Youtuber who probably saw that vid and tried to sound relevant.

On a side note, I'm interested about the Wheel of Time series coming to Amazon Prime next year. That's a very GoT setting with tons of character development.
    GRRM came out today and emphatically denied that he was finished with Book 6. He said he wasn't holding the book due to the show and that was crazy since his publisher wants the book as soon as possible.

As far as the Wheel of Time series, it is probably my favorite series along with the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. Both are being adapted into long series by Amazon.

The Dark Tower is actually going in chronological order so Roland Deschain (The Gunslinger) is actually a kid in the first season. I didn't think it could be adapted straight into a movie since so much happens which the movie just jammed in along with leaving things out.

Starting with him as a kid will be a lot easier for non book readers to follow.

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    I think Dany is going to kill Tyrion and/or Sansa and Jon will break free after that. Arya will kill Dany IMO. Jon will fight the unsullied.

I keep waiting for Bron to take over the dragon. Seems like they would've worked that in by now.

Jon will accept the Iron throne with a heavy heart. Only he and Arya survive.
    Bran warging into a dragon sets up my best-case scenario. I seem to be among the minority of people who was really jazzed about Bran's magical vision quest only to be kicked to the curb. All knowing dude who can take control of any living creature? Awesome! What does he do in the show after gaining these unparalleled abilities? A lot of blank staring. Huzzah! (I also think that Bran's entire training period with the three-eyed raven and the surviving children of the forest was botched all to hell. But that's beside the point.)

Anywho, if Bran takes over a dragon, he neuters Dany and allows for a quick resolution to what would otherwise be a massive problem -- the (magically still-alive post-Winterfell) Unsullied and Dothraki. He wargs into the dragon at some appropriately dramatic turning point in the show when Dany's about to obliterate everyone, he demolishes her remaining army, and then somehow kills the dragon at the end. Dany can die either during or after all this, either via Jon, Arya, Tyrion, or Bran-the-dragon-man. After it's all done, Jon can sulk up north with his wolf, Sansa, Tyrion, and/or some combination of leaders who are still alive can rule the 7 Kingdoms, and Arya can kick it with the Baratheon kid.

And of course none of that is going to happen. Rah.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prediction? Pain. View Post
    Bran warging into a dragon sets up my best-case scenario. I seem to be among the minority of people who was really jazzed about Bran's magical vision quest only to be kicked to the curb. All knowing dude who can take control of any living creature? Awesome! What does he do in the show after gaining these unparalleled abilities? A lot of blank staring. Huzzah! (I also think that Bran's entire training period with the three-eyed raven and the surviving children of the forest was botched all to hell. But that's beside the point.)

Anywho, if Bran takes over a dragon, he neuters Dany and allows for a quick resolution to what would otherwise be a massive problem -- the (magically still-alive post-Winterfell) Unsullied and Dothraki. He wargs into the dragon at some appropriately dramatic turning point in the show when Dany's about to obliterate everyone, he demolishes her remaining army, and then somehow kills the dragon at the end. Dany can die either during or after all this, either via Jon, Arya, Tyrion, or Bran-the-dragon-man. After it's all done, Jon can sulk up north with his wolf, Sansa, Tyrion, and/or some combination of leaders who are still alive can rule the 7 Kingdoms, and Arya can kick it with the Baratheon kid.

And of course none of that is going to happen. Rah.
    This would probably be better than what will happen.

vCash
    It will end with Dany on the throne and all of us realizing we were pulling for the real bad guy the entire time. Welcome to Game of Thrones.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    It will end with Dany on the throne and all of us realizing we were pulling for the real bad guy the entire time. Welcome to Game of Thrones.
    I am just hoping GRRM actually finishes the series and whatever D&D screw up, he corrects in the books.

vCash
    I'm bracing myself to be thoroughly disappointed Sunday night.

There's bittersweet and then there's bullshit.

vCash
    I'm bracing myself to be thoroughly disappointed Sunday night.

There's bittersweet and then there's bullshit.
    +1

Every theory I had has gone out the window with this out of nowhere Mad Queen heel turn. I think most of what I had in mind will be a book ending, assuming the fat old bastard ever finishes.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Watched a behind the scenes of episode 3. It seems when they had the script reading and they get to the part where Arya kills the NK there was collective "You gotta be shitting me." around the room. Kit H. was like "I really thought it was going to be an epic fight between Jon Snow and the NK." Amelia Clarke said "We all thought Jon would kill the NK."

Even the actors reading the effing script knew it was shit from day one. Conleth Hill (Varys) is publicly saying his character got shit on. Peter Dinklege has been throwing shade for a month. Amelia Clarke has been immortalized with her red carpet sarcasm "Greatest season ever!".

vCash
    Watched a behind the scenes of episode 3. It seems when they had the script reading and they get to the part where Arya kills the NK there was collective "You gotta be shitting me." around the room. Kit H. was like "I really thought it was going to be an epic fight between Jon Snow and the NK." Amelia Clarke said "We all thought Jon would kill the NK."

Even the actors reading the effing script knew it was shit from day one. Conleth Hill (Varys) is publicly saying his character got shit on. Peter Dinklege has been throwing shade for a month. Amelia Clarke has been immortalized with her red carpet sarcasm "Greatest season ever!".
    Yep, they are limping to the finish line. Varys was told he would die by the Red priestess and you would think there would be some type of meaning the way it was foreshadowed. He might as well have died from dysentery.

The white walker battle was cool but it would have been better if Jon had actually gotten to fight the NK and then the NK raises the dead because Jon might take him out. It has just been a lot of missed chances that people on the internet have written better plot points. You could probably take the threads on this message board and wrote a better season 8.

There was hints of Dany going Mad Queen but she has never just disregarded women and children. Any time she has been cruel, it is because the weaker have been treated wrongly and didn't have anyone to take care of them. It would have made more sense if she went and burned the Red Keep and it accidentally ignited the wildfire. Her flying around burning women and children just didn't make any sense except they needed a reason that Jon or Arya would kill her.

vCash
    Yep, they are limping to the finish line. Varys was told he would die by the Red priestess and you would think there would be some type of meaning the way it was foreshadowed. He might as well have died from dysentery.

The white walker battle was cool but it would have been better if Jon had actually gotten to fight the NK and then the NK raises the dead because Jon might take him out. It has just been a lot of missed chances that people on the internet have written better plot points. You could probably take the threads on this message board and wrote a better season 8.

There was hints of Dany going Mad Queen but she has never just disregarded women and children. Any time she has been cruel, it is because the weaker have been treated wrongly and didn't have anyone to take care of them. It would have made more sense if she went and burned the Red Keep and it accidentally ignited the wildfire. Her flying around burning women and children just didn't make any sense except they needed a reason that Jon or Arya would kill her.
    There are plenty of plot points over the past two or three seasons that have gone nowhere, been sloppily resolved, don't make sense, and are, well, dumb. But I actually have no problem with Arya killing the Night King. I've dug her character arc better than many others and for whatever reason her eventual role in the battle jived with my understanding of her journey in the show. Don't know how that event comports with the sprawling stage that the first five books were setting. But I'm cool with it in the context of the show. And compared to many of the other endings we're getting for plot lines and characters recently, it was a cinematic masterwork.

A semi-related digression:

When my wife and I were talking about the last episode and the way they fumbled Dany's turn to the dark side, I wondered aloud about the rarity of well-resolved, quality television shows. Game of Thrones has a very unique problem that most other shows, let alone shows of its caliber, don't have -- it's based upon an unfinished set of books whose intricate plot and voluminous cast of characters have, at least according to what little I've read about the topic, become unwieldy even for the author. But even without any of those issues to deal with, I think it's more the exception than the norm for a show of this quality to end in a way that is universally satisfactory.

I may be speaking for myself here, but I can't think of many shows of this caliber that were good throughout their entire run and that had awesome resolutions. Mad Men was stellar throughout most of its run and the last few episodes were probably appropriate enough, but I wasn't blown away like I was often earlier in the series. (And I didn't get much out of some of the side characters' stories, like, say, Betty's, in the final season or so.) The Wire ended well enough, I guess, but I felt that the last season was the weakest. Seinfeld ended with a wimper (and had been declining some anyway). The Simpsons was once pure genius week after week, but that ended long, long ago. The Sopranos lost me toward the end, too, and that doesn't even account for people's mixed feelings about the last episode. I dug MASH and the West Wing, but both faltered in their own ways down the stretch. The Walking Dead, Arrested Development, Twin Peaks, Lost, Battlestar Galactica, the list goes on. In fact, the only one I could think of while my wife and I were talking that was both great throughout and that had a personally satisfying ending was Breaking Bad. I thought that finale was just about perfect, all things considered, and that the show maintained its quality throughout the whole series. But even then, my wife disliked that show entirely, so the example didn't work for her.

I guess what I'm getting at is, it's really rare for a TV show to be really, really good throughout it's run. And it's even rarer when one of those shows ends in a way that's satisfying to all or most of its fans. It's just hard to do. (To digress even further, ditto for music. How many musicians have produced universally acclaimed albums consistently throughout an extended career up to and including their end? Not many that I can think of.)

All that said, the rarity of it doesn't make it any less annoying when it happens to a show that you like. It's a damn shame that they've gradually botched the last third of this series.

Come on, warg it up, Bran! Everything else may go to hell, but you still have time to fly your freak flag, buddy!
    Last edited by Prediction? Pain.; 05-17-2019 at 10:44 AM.

vCash
    I dont get the hate for Arya killing the NK. She saw her father murdered in season 1 and has been training to be an assassin since. She's a killer. Far more dangerous than Jon.

I think they have a spin-off coming north of the wall so I don't expect Jon to go there. Maybe he returns to the Knights Watch with Samwell after having to kill Dany. The move the iron throne (the actual chairs) to the only remaining castle in Westeros and Sansa takes the helm with Bran and Arya by her side.

vCash
    There are plenty of plot points over the past two or three seasons that have gone nowhere, been sloppily resolved, don't make sense, and are, well, dumb. But I actually have no problem with Arya killing the Night King. I've dug her character arc better than many others and for whatever reason her eventual role in the battle jived with my understanding of her journey in the show. Don't know how that event comports with the sprawling stage that the first five books were setting. But I'm cool with it in the context of the show. And compared to many of the other endings we're getting for plot lines and characters recently, it was a cinematic masterwork.

When my wife and I were talking about the last episode and the way they fumbled Dany's turn to the dark side, I wondered aloud about the rarity of well-resolved, quality television shows. Game of Thrones has a very unique problem that most other shows, let alone shows of its caliber, don't have -- it's based upon an unfinished set of books whose intricate plot and voluminous cast of characters have, at least according to what little I've read about the topic, become unwieldy even for the author. But even without any of those issues to deal with, I think it's more the exception than the norm for a show of this quality to end in a way that is universally satisfactory.

I may be speaking for myself here, but I can't think of many shows of this caliber that were good throughout their entire run and that had awesome resolutions. Mad Men was stellar throughout most of its run and the last few episodes were probably appropriate enough, but I wasn't blown away like I was often earlier in the series. (And I didn't get much out of some of the side characters' stories, like, say, Betty's, in the final season or so.) The Wire ended well enough, I guess, but I felt that the last season was the weakest. Seinfeld ended with a wimper (and had been declining some anyway). The Simpsons was once pure genius week after week, but that ended long, long ago. The Sopranos lost me toward the end, too, and that doesn't even account for people's mixed feelings about the last episode. I dug MASH and the West Wing, but both faltered in their own ways down the stretch. The Walking Dead, Arrested Development, Twin Peaks, Lost, Battlestar Galactica, the list goes on. In fact, the only one I could think of while my wife and I were talking that was both great throughout and that had a personally satisfying ending was Breaking Bad. I thought that finale was just about perfect, all things considered, and that the show maintained its quality throughout the whole series. But even then, my wife disliked that show entirely, so the example didn't work for her.

I guess what I'm getting at is, it's really rare for a TV show to be really, really good throughout it's run. And it's even rarer when one of those shows ends in a way that's satisfying to all or most of its fans. It's just hard to do. (To digress even further, ditto for music. How many musicians have produced universally acclaimed albums consistently throughout an extended career up to and including their end? Not many that I can think of.)

All that said, the rarity of it doesn't make it any less annoying when it happens to a show that you like. It's a damn shame that they've gradually botched the last third of this series.

Come on, warg it up, Bran! Everything else may go to hell, but you still have time to fly your freak flag, buddy!
    Sorry, I didn't mean that I didn't like that Arya killed the NK. I just hated that essentially there wasn't an actual fight. I thought they missed a chance to have a really good sword battle between him and Jon. He then could have raised the dead as a way to distract Jon and try and kill Bran. Then Arya does her thing as a badass assassin. My favorite part of that episode was Mormont taking out the giant and Arya killing the NK. The dragon fight in the air was cool also but they missed a lot of great scenes that could have been shot.

vCash
    Sorry, I didn't mean that I didn't like that Arya killed the NK. I just hated that essentially there wasn't an actual fight. I thought they missed a chance to have a really good sword battle between him and Jon. He then could have raised the dead as a way to distract Jon and try and kill Bran. Then Arya does her thing as a badass assassin. My favorite part of that episode was Mormont taking out the giant and Arya killing the NK. The dragon fight in the air was cool also but they missed a lot of great scenes that could have been shot.
    Woops. My bad. Yeah, that's a good point. A sword fight where a resilient Jon just keeps on coming would've been cool and wouldn't have jacked up the rest of the way they chose to tell the story.

"Missed opportunity" is spot on. If there's a single summation for the show's last two or three seasons, that's it.

vCash

I think The Shield deserves a mention along with Breaking Bad. Fantastic throughout and an epic resolution at the end. But to further your point, I think Sons of Anarchy had the same thing happen as most of the others on your list. Great up until the last episode, then they completely threw all this curveball imagery in that they hadn't laid any foundation for during the show's run.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22