Thread: Post weekend baseball thoughts

vCash

Post weekend baseball thoughts

Not a lot to say.
    -bama is not good, we did what we should have done.
    -I pray Cole gets on a good role at the end of the year.
    -Ginn looked pretty good. He didn?t seem to consistently have the hard sink, but you can?t expect him to be razor sharp all of the time, especially right now.

-A possibly huge development is Foscue at 2B. He looks to have a lot more range than I was expecting and he actually moves like a 2b?man. Gilbert, being a C, has the arm and if he can make the routine plays (which is about all a 3b?man gets) we just got a lot better offensively, and surprisingly, defensively as well. This could end up being a huge move.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post
    Not a lot to say.
    -bama is not good, we did what we should have done.
    -I pray Cole gets on a good role at the end of the year.
    -Ginn looked pretty good. He didn?t seem to consistently have the hard sink, but you can?t expect him to be razor sharp all of the time, especially right now.

-A possibly huge development is Foscue at 2B. He looks to have a lot more range than I was expecting and he actually moves like a 2b?man. Gilbert, being a C, has the arm and if he can make the routine plays (which is about all a 3b?man gets) we just got a lot better offensively, and surprisingly, defensively as well. This could end up being a huge move.
    Cole's role so far has primarily been as the closer. What role should Lemonis put him in if you aren't happy with that? He's played a significant and important role all year. It's not like he's riding the pine. If that's not a good role, then I don't know what is.

vCash
    Closer comes in for almost 3 innings, throws 60 pitches in a 9-1 game, gives up a couple runs and people get mad, smh

Bottom line is he gets the job done and has battle tested, USDA certified, prime cut girodos.

We are probably 6 league wins away from locking up a host spot. That is the minimum goal in my opinion with the tough schedule. We have the team to win a super in any setting, just need to try and fire on all cylinders when postseason starts.

vCash
    Also good luck finding the type of closer you are hoping for in college. Anyone with shut down stuff at this level is usually going to be utilized more than 1-2 innings a weekend. Mariano Rivera and Trevor Hoffman aint walking through that door.

vCash
    Not disparaging Cole at all. What I am saying is, that to do what we want to do, you have to have a shut down closer. He was that guy during our run last year. When Cole is spinning his curve and commands his fastball, he is that guy. His fastball is 91 tops. Therefore, he doesn’t have as much margin for error as most top line closers throwing 95 with movement.

If he is sharp and on top of his game like he was last year at tournament time, that is a huge piece of the puzzle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chef dixon View Post
    Also good luck finding the type of closer you are hoping for in college. Anyone with shut down stuff at this level is usually going to be utilized more than 1-2 innings a weekend. Mariano Rivera and Trevor Hoffman aint walking through that door.
    Off topic to Cole: but we have had guys like Pete Young and Jonathan Holder

Humphries could have been a legend too, but a HS TJ surgery probably limited him to one year of college pitching and he left as a junior.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post
    Not disparaging Cole at all. What I am saying is, that to do what we want to do, you have to have a shut down closer. He was that guy during our run last year. When Cole is spinning his curve and commands his fastball, he is that guy. His fastball is 91 tops. Therefore, he doesn’t have as much margin for error as most top line closers throwing 95 with movement.

If he is sharp and on top of his game like he was last year at tournament time, that is a huge piece of the puzzle.
    So if you don't think the closer role is good enough, then what do you want? Do you want him to be the Friday night starter? Cole has been given a pretty important role this year in my opinion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    Off topic to Cole: but we have had guys like Pete Young and Jonathan Holder

Humphries could have been a legend too, but a HS TJ surgery probably limited him to one year of college pitching and he left as a junior.
    You are right there are much better guys that have fit that role, just think its not a thing a lot of teams have the luxury of in college year in and year out.

vCash
    Al, now that I read it again, in your original post, did you mean you want Cole to get on a good roll, rather than a good role? That would explain a lot.

vCash
    Interesting thing is, at one time, we had one of the best closers ever in MLB on our team, Jonathan Papelbon. However, if I remember correctly, he didn't close for us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    Al, now that I read it again, in your original post, did you mean you want Cole to get on a good roll, rather than a good role? That would explain a lot.
    Read it as "get rolling" or "get on a hot role"...to my mind, if Cole is gonna have a streak of 25 scoreless innings, I want that to be his last 25 innings in Maroon

In 2014, neither Holder or Lindy started anywhere as good as they end the season.

vCash
    Closer comes in for almost 3 innings, throws 60 pitches in a 9-1 game, gives up a couple runs and people get mad, smh

Bottom line is he gets the job done and has battle tested, USDA certified, prime cut girodos.

We are probably 6 league wins away from locking up a host spot. That is the minimum goal in my opinion with the tough schedule. We have the team to win a super in any setting, just need to try and fire on all cylinders when postseason starts.
    This^

Gordon will be fine. It may not be without stress but he gets the job done. He's going to be a guy that saves 10+ games and has an ERA of 3+.