Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MSU Baseball mid early season moves

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    While I agree, wasn't Tanner a 2B originally?
    He played ss in hs most of the time I think. We had him originally at 3b and Lf. He's too stiff and slow to play second. Never mind the turn at second. There is a reason our dp's this year have gone way down, one of course is we strike out a ton of guys. Second is we are so avg in the middle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    He played ss in hs most of the time I think. We had him originally at 3b and Lf. He's too stiff and slow to play second. Never mind the turn at second. There is a reason our dp's this year have gone way down, one of course is we strike out a ton of guys. Second is we are so avg in the middle.
    Halter looked pretty good at SS the few times I have seen him. Westburg just doesn't have very good range and he looks stiff. I wonder if they could move Westburg to 1st, Halter to SS, Rowdey to 2nd, and Allen to LF. That seems like it would be where they were more suitable.

Banned
    vCash
    No on spring as Sunday starter... big no on keagan as closer.

vCash
    Halter looked pretty good at SS the few times I have seen him. Westburg just doesn't have very good range and he looks stiff. I wonder if they could move Westburg to 1st, Halter to SS, Rowdey to 2nd, and Allen to LF. That seems like it would be where they were more suitable.
    Halter has struggled playing second. Maybe he's more comfortable at ss who know. But, he played there in the fall and he made a ton of errors in kick at ss. They gave Rowdey a brief look at 2b. I'm pretty sure all those options are off the table. Heck those guys want to win way more than you and I. I'm sure they've thought of everything. Heck half or more of westy' series are throwing. He squeezes one too tight or air mails one, that becomes mental. He's a heck of an athlete. But he's a corner guy at the next level.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    There are only two explanations for Allen staying at first over Hatcher. And I'm leaving the positon of the lineup concerning Tanner part at our of this discussion. 1- they think Allen is a better 1b than Hatcher. Meh, find that hard to believe at this point but ok. 2- which makes way more sense, Hatcher really struggles with Lhp. If you start Hatcher at 1b and dh Allen you are stuck w hatch the entire game there. You can't take him out. We don't have another first baseman and you would lose the dh if you put Allen there. I get it, Allen is struggling at the plate and some will say just dh someone else. I do think Tanner is going to hit. He hit last year and this year he's cut his k's way down. So that's better. I don't think we are at panic point w him just yet.
    I think in general when Tanner is right and not struggling at the plate and the field he is the best option. But right now in the moment Tanner is not hitting either right or left handers and is playing poorly defensively and I think it's affecting the entire infield. So, yes, while Hatcher does struggle against LH hitters at this moment during the season all things considered he is probably the best option.

Now, that said I do think that at some point Allen will snap out of his slump too. And at that point I think you then maybe put him back out there. I think he just needs to rest/refocus at the moment like Rowdey did a week or two ago.

vCash
    That's a small sample size though. I'm not sure that Westburg can play first because I don't think he has ever played there before. While it may not be the most difficult thing to play there are still certain skills that a first baseman needs to do like scooping the ball out of the dirt. He may be able to do it but it's risky at best. I think they would try Cumbest because I believe he practiced there some in the spring if I remember correctly before they thought about trying Westburg but that would be after trying Hatcher.