Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pretty amazing coach K and Cal

Banned
    vCash

Pretty amazing coach K and Cal

Getting plenty of criticism this morning
    Here is an idea
    Let’s not ruin another good coach like MSU did with Polk and making them a diety who is beyond criticism when when their team doesn?t win.
    Yeah sometimes “that’s baseball”, and you lose, but sometimes you don’t “self scout”because everyone tells you that you “earned your paycheck “
    Last edited by Sparrows2; 04-01-2019 at 01:19 PM.

vCash
    Coach K was gifted with what should've been an auto championship. It's ridiculous he lost with that team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Coach K was gifted with what should've been an auto championship. It's ridiculous he lost with that team.
    No doubt. In NBA mock drafts, 3 of the first 5 are Duke players. 4 in the top 20.

vCash
    Some people don't realize that Coach K is 72 years old. If I were him, I'd ride off into the sunset with my 5 rings.

Still though, Rick Ray could've won a championship with the talent on that team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msudawglb View Post
    No doubt. In NBA mock drafts, 3 of the first 5 are Duke players. 4 in the top 20.
    Yep... he really doesn't coach much with those guys. And that could be part of the problem.

vCash
    The college mafia is being called out. The other member is already gone. He will be back.

vCash
    Final four is going to be terrible. All the most talented players are gone.

vCash
    I disagree. It seemed that way after the first game against UK, and no doubt Zion is unbelievable, but Reddish was way overrated (still is being overrated in mock drafts), and Barrett wasn't quite as good as advertised. And that team has less than 0 depth. It is basically a 4-man team (Zion, Barrett, Reddish, Jones), all of whom are freshmen, only two of whom can really carry a team, and only one of whom can do so consistently and efficiently.

They should have been the favorite, but they were in no way a slam dunk.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    Final four is going to be terrible. All the most talented players are gone.
    Lulz

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I disagree. It seemed that way after the first game against UK, and no doubt Zion is unbelievable, but Reddish was way overrated (still is being overrated in mock drafts), and Barrett wasn't quite as good as advertised. And that team has less than 0 depth. It is basically a 4-man team (Zion, Barrett, Reddish, Jones), all of whom are freshmen, only two of whom can really carry a team, and only one of whom can do so consistently and efficiently.

They should have been the favorite, but they were in no way a slam dunk.
    If duke doesn't have depth, it's bc coach k didn't play anyone. He stuck with a 7-man rotation. You know duke has enough players to play more. Barrett avg'd 22.6 ppg 7.6 rpg 4.3 apg... that's pretty damn good

vCash
    He certainly had the talent. Either that, or the talent was overrated coming into the year.

vCash
    Maybe but it ain't easy getting a bunch of freshmen who all have egos to play as a team. That is what Auburn and Texas Tech and maybe UVA have in their favor.

Coach Cal similar what he does every year with a brand new team of primo donnas.

vCash

hmmmm maybe duke BB players get the bama bump from crooners

Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    He certainly had the talent. Either that, or the talent was overrated coming into the year.
    or else coach K is not that great

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    The college mafia is being called out. The other member is already gone. He will be back.
    Pitino?

vCash

vCash
    To me, this doesn't really show that Coach K fails. To me, it shows the pitfalls of rolling with the all-one-and-done strategy.

Two teams have won titles going with that strategy - 2012 UK and 2015 Duke. And both of those teams at least had some veteran leadership. Darius Miller as a senior for Kentucky, Quinn Cook as a senior for Duke. 2012 UK also had two guys who came back as sophomores, Doron Lamb and Terrence Jones. 2015 Duke had juniors Amile Jefferson and Rasheed Sulaimon and sophomore Matt Jones.

2012 UK was legitimately 6-7 deep in legit talent, 2015 Duke was 7-8 deep.

Duke last year did have Grayson Allen, though after his freshman year he never won anything. But they were basically just 5 deep, 4 of them freshmen, with no bench. This year, they were basically 4 deep, all of them freshmen.

You've even seen Calipari pull away from the all-one-and-done model, either by necessity (because Duke is taking the top guys) or by design. And they have had more success overall with it than Duke. But I think you'll see Coach K either pull away from it or at least change it up here soon. Because it's not leading to the kind of consistent success Duke is used to.

vCash
    A lot of that talent is of the one and done variety. You have to have on the team leadership too and most freshmen, no matter how talented they are, are not mature enough to provide it.

vCash
    Don't expect me to be reasonable about duke... I hate em haha. I did pick Michigan st to beat them though bc duke was a lousy 3-pt shooting team this year and they didn't just continue to pound Zion inside enough. Zion was a decent 3-pt shooter (.338), but he was unstoppable from 2 (.741). If Zion stays in the paint Sunday, they beat Michigan st by 10+. To me, that's on coach k

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    K has been to 2 Final 4's in the last 15 years. He's been getting a pass because he's K. Now of course he won those 2 years but that ratio is horrible with the talent he accumulates.

vCash
    Don't expect me to be reasonable about duke... I hate em haha. I did pick Michigan st to beat them though bc duke was a lousy 3-pt shooting team this year and they didn't just continue to pound Zion inside enough. Zion was a decent 3-pt shooter (.338), but he was unstoppable from 2 (.741). If Zion stays in the paint Sunday, they beat Michigan st by 10+. To me, that's on coach k
    Yep. He really doesn't coach anymore, just let them do what they want.