Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Baseball and Football now....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WSOPdawg View Post
    1) Splitting a 3-game series with LSU does not mean we're a bad team. But somewhere along the way, we need to sweep a couple of SEC series -- might as well start this weekend on Rocky Top.

2) I want to see Gunner at SS in place of Westy's abysmal glove, maybe move Westy to 1B or 2B w/ Tanner moving from the #3 spot in the lineup. We've gotta reduce the errors being committed by the infield.

3) Not anywhere close to being ready to talk football, and not sure I'll be pumped for it come August (7 or 8 wins now is meh).
    Again:

Why do our fans want to move players to positions that they have never played before and expect them to play better defense?

Halter made over 20 errors in JUCO at SS. That's part of the reason why he's at second. He's worse at SS. Westburg needs to stay at SS because Westburg/Halter is > Halter/Landon Jordan.

People want to reinvent the infield when all we need to do is put Hatcher at first. I think that will help some with the throwing errors because I think our infielders will be more confident in throwing to him and also he may be better than Allen at picking the ball out of the dirt also reducing throwing errors.

vCash
    Top 5 in SEC still, but pressured in having to win games 1 and 2.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Again:

Why do our fans want to move players to positions that they have never played before and expect them to play better defense?

Halter made over 20 errors in JUCO at SS. That's part of the reason why he's at second. He's worse at SS. Westburg needs to stay at SS because Westburg/Halter is > Halter/Landon Jordan.

People want to reinvent the infield when all we need to do is put Hatcher at first. I think that will help some with the throwing errors because I think our infielders will be more confident in throwing to him and also he may be better than Allen at picking the ball out of the dirt also reducing throwing errors.
    I'm not sure this team has adequate defensive players to have what I would call a formidable defensive infield. Coach has what he feels is the best setup in place and LSU just exposed it for what it is, weak at best. Allen won't be drafted if his weak AB's continue, he must quit trying to just pull everything over the fence. He's pressing because Mac and Cue are bashing em out of the park. I do think Hatch would be a refresher at first if only to let Tanner view things from a new perspective but the rest of the infield is about as good as it's going to get until more players are on campus maybe next year. This bunch will have to continue to outscore teams in high numbers and hope that Eathan and JT can throw lites out each time they toe the rubber.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    1) losing 2 out of 3 is not splitting
    2) Just so you are aware, Gunner committed 19 errors at SS in Juco last year. Westy is our best option at SS.
    Losing 2 out of 3 is splitting. It's just not an equal split. You either have a split or sweep in a 3 game series. It wasn't a sweep (although close) so therefore it's a split.

vCash
    Long season yes...fielding sucks....yes relief pitching slight concern...were still a number 1 Seed.

vCash
    1. Expectations are unchanged this team can still make a deep run. We knew the infield was weak and the Sunday pitching was rough so not going to panic LSU is a good squad.
    2. Changes involve dropping Allen in the lineup till his slump ends other than that you have the best 9 on the field. Defensively the errors need to be addressed, but we have alot of athletes playing spots for their bat so not sure how much this will be cleaned up. We are used to guys like Gridley and Stovall and LA the last few years. Gotta live with a few with this team.
    3. I will talk football when baseball is over but will still watch and attend the Spring Game regardless.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    1) How much (if any) did the LSU series change your views on how good this baseball team is and how far they can go?

2) What would you like to see change next weekend?

3) Are you ready to start thinking and talking football, or did last season's disappointment make you want to hold off until after baseball season?

1. I think we are still a very dangerous team but can't give any team an inch or it could be detrimental. We aren't as deep in the bullpen and still some questions there along with the infield. All can and will improve as the year continues. Just like last year. I wonder how many of you naysayers were feeling like we would make it as far into the tournament as we did last year. Or even make the tournament. Probably none of you. I'd bet real big money on that. Maybe getting knocked down will help this team out. Still early in SEC play and lots of baseball to be played.

2. Our fans attitudes and overreaction when their expectations aren't met and then taking it to the message boards with all the excuses and whining (This applies to all sports). It's crazy how easily some of you flop back and forth and act like this years baseball team may as well already be crowned national champs one day just to claim they aren't even worth the time anymore the next. Try and have just a little bit of backbone and stay behind your team you claim to support.

It really is embarrassing to log on to this site after a loss and read all of the reasons of why it's just not fair or someone else's fault like it changes that we didn't overcome the same problems other teams have faced before us.

3. I am not as excited about football this year. BUT, mainly because there isn't as much questionable hype this year surrounding this team. I was cautiously optimistic as it was last year. Seems like some of you would do the same as long as you claim to have been fans. Maybe that will help with some of our fans unrealistic expectations this year. I think a lot of these same fans (see answer #2) who want to cast all the blame on Moorhead and his system will begin to see some kinks that have been worked out. I'm not saying we are going undefeated by any means or even make the playoffs but I think we will be more of a threat offensively while being strong but not as strong defensively obviously. I also think our too early high ranking is a unrealistic. Hoping to be proved wrong but expect to be a threat and have a few more explosive plays this year once we get clicking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StateDawg44 View Post

2. Our fans attitudes and overreaction when their expectations aren't met and then taking it to the message boards with all the excuses and whining (This applies to all sports). It's crazy how easily some of you flop back and forth and act like this years baseball team may as well already be crowned national champs one day just to claim they aren't even worth the time anymore the next. Try and have just a little bit of backbone and stay behind your team you claim to support.
    The people that flip out about rankings, loses, etc don't understand baseball.

vCash
    1. The defense and relief pitching is more of a concern than before. I felt like we would struggle against a team that can simply put the ball in play. LSU had a good strategy, and it paid off for them. On paper, the table was set for us on Saturday. All we needed to do was to make the starter work get in to their bullpen. Instead, we came out aggressive, impatient, and swinging for the fences. I still think we are good because LSU beats us no matter how good we are.

Once I get over my annual frustration of getting owned by LSU, then I will be able to look at the big picture.

2. I want to see that toughness back again, and we need to make the routine plays. Allen needs to move down the lineup as well.

3. No.

vCash
    1) How much (if any) did the LSU series change your views on how good this baseball team is and how far they can go?

3) Are you ready to start thinking and talking football, or did last season's disappointment make you want to hold off until after baseball season?
    1. Very little. I still believe we're the best team in the conference.
    2. We need to keep moving the batting order around until it settles in better. We've been changing it some, so not sure this is much of a change.
    3. I don't care a whole lot about football yet. I can go ahead and tell you how its going to go anyway... Excitement followed by disappointment. Same as every year.

vCash

1) LSU didn't change much to me, except I now know our D has to improve. I knew all those lefties vs Ginn would be tough, I knew the bullpen and 3rd starter would take long time to figure out, and that LSU was starting to get things figured out on the mound themselves.

2) I want to see A) better D, and B) more focus at the plate (i think we were a bit arrogant this week and so were slow to make adjustments, hopefully now we're humbled and will adapt quicker when plan A doesn't work vs a given pitcher). Of course I'd like to see the back end of the staff shake out but that'll be a long process... a guy could have a great game but crap the bed next series and we're right back where we started, for example. I like Keegan out of the pen though. He's mentally weak so I think you've gotta give him a fresh inning when we use him, but his stuff is good for 2 innings of solid relief.

3) I'm not going to think about FB till BB is done. I learned my lesson last year after all the Austin Williams and Guidry praise, and how Nick is throwing 65% with touch on the deep ball yada yada. It's all BS. Hell, it took till Kentucky (4th game of the year) for us to find out the team even had flaws, so my how much less can you tell about a team when they're practicing vs themselves? Again 3 full games vs real opponents wasn't enough to let us know the O had problems, so I don't believe a highly controlled practice vs ourselves will tell us anything either. I'll check up what the synopsis on the team is when there's no news in baseball.

Great questions by the way

vCash
    It's like groundhog day every time we have a good team in any sport. Build up hope, get to a big game/series, crap the bed, rinse and repeat.

So, I still expect to be a host, lose a head scratcher in the post season somewhere along the way.

No changes.

Football - yawn. 6 to 8 wins.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StateDawg44 View Post
    1. I think we are still a very dangerous team but can't give any team an inch or it could be detrimental. We aren't as deep in the bullpen and still some questions there along with the infield. All can and will improve as the year continues. Just like last year. I wonder how many of you naysayers were feeling like we would make it as far into the tournament as we did last year. Or even make the tournament. Probably none of you. I'd bet real big money on that. Maybe getting knocked down will help this team out. Still early in SEC play and lots of baseball to be played.

It really is embarrassing to log on to this site after a loss and read all of the reasons of why it's just not fair or someone else's fault like it changes that we didn't overcome the same problems other teams have faced before us.

3. I am not as excited about football this year. BUT, mainly because there isn't as much questionable hype this year surrounding this team. I was cautiously optimistic as it was last year. Seems like some of you would do the same as long as you claim to have been fans. Maybe that will help with some of our fans unrealistic expectations this year. I think a lot of these same fans (see answer #2) who want to cast all the blame on Moorhead and his system will begin to see some kinks that have been worked out. I'm not saying we are going undefeated by any means or even make the playoffs but I think we will be more of a threat offensively while being strong but not as strong defensively obviously. I also think our too early high ranking is a unrealistic. Hoping to be proved wrong but expect to be a threat and have a few more explosive plays this year once we get clicking.
    So.....you managed to take the questions asked and turn it in to whining about the negativity that is displayed on a messageboard after losses (which every single board out there is the exact same about), and then tell fans they shouldn't have blamed Moorhead for last year, while predicting our offense to be better (can't get worse) and our defense to be worse (couldn't get better)? Are you related to Liverpool?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by timotheus View Post
    I'm not sure this team has adequate defensive players to have what I would call a formidable defensive infield. Coach has what he feels is the best setup in place and LSU just exposed it for what it is, weak at best. Allen won't be drafted if his weak AB's continue, he must quit trying to just pull everything over the fence. He's pressing because Mac and Cue are bashing em out of the park. I do think Hatch would be a refresher at first if only to let Tanner view things from a new perspective but the rest of the infield is about as good as it's going to get until more players are on campus maybe next year. This bunch will have to continue to outscore teams in high numbers and hope that Eathan and JT can throw lites out each time they toe the rubber.
    I agree. I think we're playing our infielders at their best positions currently. There is not a lot we can do about it at this point and just try to get better and make routine plays.

vCash
    I agree. I think we're playing our infielders at their best positions currently. There is not a lot we can do about it at this point and just try to get better and make routine plays.
    Yep. We just need to get better in the infield, and better in the bullpen. It's not about position changes anymore (outside of maybe 1B)....it's about needing those guys to improve every day to where they are the best they've ever been come Regional play.

vCash
    Agree.

vCash
    wonder why Gunner doesn't get a chance to pitch? he was drafted as a pitcher.

vCash

Nope, we?re good

Less gunner, more Landon

Can?t wait to see joes O without Fitz, going to be really fun to witness

vCash
    Again:

Todd, Cadaver asked "what would you like to see changed next weekend?" Westy is on pace for 22 errors himself this year. So how is that any better than Halter's 20 errors last year? It sucks!!!

What do I want to see changed next weekend? Attempts to minimize Westy's errors by not having him at SS (I wanna try somebody else & Gunner has played SS before, therefore give him a shot). Or else we can INSANELY keep doing what we've been doing and wonder why the results are no different.

vCash
    Zero excitement for football. Still very excited about baseball.