Thread: Defensive Back coaching

vCash

Defensive Back coaching

We all like to gripe about our O Line coach, but I am beginning to wonder about our defensive back coaching. We are clearly playing the wrong free safety, according to the board, and our corner play is less than great. I watched the TSUN/LSU game and the started a lightly recruited true freshman from Eupora at CB because of injuries. Given that, please don't talk about how we have to expect a drop off from last year, etc. We have apparently talented guys back there and are not making the plays. To me that indicates a coaching problem.

vCash
    Love played with 10 rolls of tape on his ankle against lsu, lsu's wr's caught everything contested, met was pin point accurate too against us.

Whitley really is a problem. I don't think he should play, but if he does it should be ss or s/lb hybrid. He doesn't have the speed or coverage ability to play fs.

What is up with Arrington? He played well against ok st and hasn't posted since I dont think.

Redmond has to be the player we think he is for us to get bowl eligible.

Cox was juco all American fs and I hope we've been working him in to safety on this bye.

I'd love to see:

Cb - love
    Cb - Redmond
    Fs - cox
    Ss - Arrington

vCash
    Agreed msstate7, but why did Love have to play with "10 rolls of tape" when other schools use true freshman against the best receivers in college football and they play well enough.

One difference between college and pro football is that the pros don't substitute a lot and generally the starters get nearly all the reps in practice. Our DB coaches are solid recruiters, but we are not getting solid play.

vCash
    Hughes is out.
    Love has been banged up.
    Cox is out of position.
    Nickoe lost a step, or two.
    Will was suspended.
    Wells got moved to OLB.

Any two or three of those things get fixed and we'll be pretty decent down the stretch IMO.