Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Realistic Record for Baseball Mid-Week Games this season.

vCash

Realistic Record for Baseball Mid-Week Games this season.

Obviously last year, the team struggled out of the gate with all of the distractions they faced. We lost some heart-breaking games to teams like McNeese State, S.E. Louisiana, Nicholls, etc .. (Some at away sites). Just wanted to get your opinions for the 2019 Mid-Week games (Minus the OM game in Pearl)?

UAB, JSU, S.E. Louisiana, East Carolina, Ark. Pine Bluff, Grambling, Little Rock, MS Valley State, ULM, South Alabama, TX Southern, and Memphis (All in Starkville).

Samford (Away)

Is it a stretch to think 13-0? 12-1? 11-2? Again, just wanted to see all your inputs.

vCash
    We'll lose a couple we're not supposed to and everyone will freak out and call for Lemonis and Cohen to be fired.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    We'll lose a couple we're not supposed to and everyone will freak out and call for Lemonis and Cohen to be fired.
    Hopefully that will not be the case; however, I'm sure your right about some of the fan base.

vCash
    It happens every year to most every team, even the really good ones. Here are my thoughts and these aren't ranked in order of difficulty, just to provide clarity:

1) The UAB mid week won't be easy. They have pretty decent pitching even for mid week.

2) SE LA game won't be easy either. That's a Wednesday night game after a Tuesday night game with us leaving out of town quickly for the Texas tournament. SE LA is always good and gives us fits.

3) We play at Samford the Wednesday after we play Florida and right before the Auburn series. Plus we have Arkansas Little Rock the night before.

If I was looking at vulnerable mid week games those would be the 3 biggest possibilities in my opinion. The Samford one is the most vulnerable to me.

vCash
    Perhaps we can find some Mid-Week gems in our pitching staff .. to eat up innings, as well as shut the opposing bats down in these games (seeing how the surrounding schedule could get difficult).

vCash
    I agree w/ MetEdDawg.

It is very difficult to not slip up at all. I think our biggest tests will be our first mid week games where we have to play Little Rock and Samford midweek sandwiched b/w Florida and Auburn. We might have to go a bit deeper into our depth than normal for those depending on how the series with Florida ends and if Little Rock plays us tough.

SE LA will be tough, then after we get back from that Texas trip we have another 2 midweek games with East Carolina and Arkansas-Pine Bluff. I'd definitely pick us to win all these, but a few strokes of bad luck and lack of mental focus can easily bite you in the ass on these.

vCash
    This^^

vCash
    We'll probably go 11-2 or 10-3....every SEC team drops a few midweeks to small schools. "That's baseball"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    We'll probably go 11-2 or 10-3....every SEC team drops a few midweeks to small schools. "That's baseball"
    Absolutely!

vCash
    I'd guess 9-4 is the floor.

vCash
    2 toss ups the rest should be wins

vCash
    That'll probably happen before we lose a mid-week game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Even Florida, while Ranked #1 and with 2nd-Round draft picks in the pen loses in the midweek from time to time.

This year, we have the best pitching depth since 2016. Things can only be better than last year. The last two years, we have been pitching midweek guys on Saturday and Sunday.

In 2017 we lost almost an entire sophomore class to TJ and had to pitch Mangum, Gordon, and McQuary read-or-not. And we lost an AA candidate reliever, Blake Smith. And we lost our Saturday guy to Party'n with McQ, Ryan Cyr.
    In 2018 we lost a weekend starter candidate, Ashcraft; 70-Innings of work, Plumlee; and an AA candidate reliever, Spencer Price

vCash
    Hell we haven’t even played a game yet and people are doing that already!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TNDawg35 View Post
    Hell we haven’t even played a game yet and people are doing that already!!
    Just imagine what would happen if we lost a game to Maine during our weekend series with them.....

vCash
    If we lose more than 2 or 3, I'll be disappointed and wanting people fired.***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    If we lose more than 2 or 3, I'll be disappointed and wanting people fired.***
    Ultimate sign of being a Closet Rebel is that you don't demand firing someone after losing in midweek

vCash
    I'm just glad pretty much all of the Mid-Weeks will be in Starkville this season. It was pretty frustrating to pay $6 .. for a day pass on the Nicholls and McNeese State websites (to watch those away games and lose). But ... that's baseball sometimes.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    It happens every year to most every team, even the really good ones. Here are my thoughts and these aren't ranked in order of difficulty, just to provide clarity:

1) The UAB mid week won't be easy. They have pretty decent pitching even for mid week.

2) SE LA game won't be easy either. That's a Wednesday night game after a Tuesday night game with us leaving out of town quickly for the Texas tournament. SE LA is always good and gives us fits.

3) We play at Samford the Wednesday after we play Florida and right before the Auburn series. Plus we have Arkansas Little Rock the night before.

If I was looking at vulnerable mid week games those would be the 3 biggest possibilities in my opinion. The Samford one is the most vulnerable to me.
    Great analysis

vCash
    Not calling a loss by any means but East Carolina is a definite tough game.