Thread: Weekend Cooking & Drinking Thread: Big Horns or Bust Edition

vCash

Weekend Cooking & Drinking Thread: Big Horns or Bust Edition

It's my b'day weekend so I'm trying to get me a buck for my birthday. I'll be in the woods all day Sunday. Saturday we'll go to dinner somewhere in the metro. Also been rigging up my new fishfinder/transducer combo on the yak. I need 2 more pieces in the mail to complete it but man, the lowrance elite units are nice. We do so much shallow water redfishing on the bay boat all my dad has ever used is a depth finder/chartplotter so having a touchscreen unit with sd cards and customizable split screens is a whole new world for me.

vCash
    Corona Familiar and Narcos tonight

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    It's my b'day weekend so I'm trying to get me a buck for my birthday. I'll be in the woods all day Sunday. Saturday we'll go to dinner somewhere in the metro. Also been rigging up my new fishfinder/transducer combo on the yak. I need 2 more pieces in the mail to complete it but man, the lowrance elite units are nice. We do so much shallow water redfishing on the bay boat all my dad has ever used is a depth finder/chartplotter so having a touchscreen unit with sd cards and customizable split screens is a whole new world for me.

Happy birthday, dude. A day in the woods sounds like a solid way to celebrate.

Just out of curiosity, how often are you able to eat stuff that you catch? Or, put another way, how often are you eating badass fresh seafood during the week while I'm scrounging through leftover God-knows-what after work?

I'm working on my first full glass -- and by "full glass" I mean "ounce" -- of the 10 year cask strength Laphroaig I got for Christmas. It's a very, very different experience that an easy-drinking bourbon or Tennessee whisky. I'm experimenting with adding water as I go and it's become a slow, sip-by-sip process. The finish on this stuff is nuts. A single sip leaves a freaking parade of peat, smoke, brine, and sweetness in my mouth for 15 minutes. I've been working on this single drink for what seems like an hour, but I'm actually enjoying the process.

Man, just when I think my booze snobbery can't get any worse, I'm sitting here writing about peat and mouthfeel. I need a hat with the phrase "Giant D-Bag" embroidered on it that I can wear at times like these.

vCash
    I can eat stuff I catch whenever. I have a deep freeze in the garage. I typically like to eat stuff no longer than 3 months. I usually do a big fish fry late January to clear out any fall stock

vCash
    Ribeyes on the grill tonite over high heat about a minute and a half per side. Grilled onion and mushrooms as well as twice baked potato. While the grill is goin it'll be miller lite...for us simple folk. And my wife may be wanting to breed tonite...she came home with some sweet wine for herself and a fifth of makers for me. Prolly sip on that while watching dak. And THAT is about as fancy as it gets out here in the boonies for this ol boy!

vCash
    Happy Birthday Beast! Enjoy these threads each week (even though I rarely post), and appreciate you creating them.

Quote Originally Posted by Prediction? Pain. View Post
    Man, just when I think my booze snobbery can't get any worse, I'm sitting here writing about peat and mouthfeel. I need a hat with the phrase "Giant D-Bag" embroidered on it that I can wear at times like these.
    This made me chuckle. I see where you're coming from, but appreciate your play by play. I'm not into bourbon, but I've been exploring wine and can relate somewhat to your experience.

vCash
    Opened 1 gift early upon request and it’s pretty cool. Chef John Folse cookbook/table book. Had a beer and heard to Char

vCash
    Bone-in prime ribeye at Char was sick. Best steak I’ve had in Jackson in a while

vCash
    Last night I recreated our favorite dish from The Veranda....seared tuna, with sushi rice, wasabi and siracha mayo, seaweed salad, and ponzu sauce. The tuna was legit. Super high quality.

vCash
    Was at the liquor store Friday and this caught my eye....couldn't resist...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Was at the liquor store Friday and this caught my eye....couldn't resist...

Nice work with that tuna. I just read about that GOT whiskey the other day. I think I understand that there are numerous different kinds for all the different houses in the show. Let us know how that is. Can’t wait for it to come back

vCash
    Nice work with that tuna. I just read about that GOT whiskey the other day. I think I understand that there are numerous different kinds for all the different houses in the show. Let us know how that is. Can’t wait for it to come back
    Yeah, that's correct. It makes sense the Lannisters would drink Lagavulin, lol. The Lag 16 year is my favorite whiskey of any kind. Absolute fav.

This 9 year is quite good, too. Not as rich as the 16, but really smooth and actually a bit sweet. I like it.

vCash
    I’m currently in the blind and it’s January and I’m in dryfit everything. Haven’t worn my coveralls this year.

vCash
    No deer. Mexican food, tequila, and now bathing babies. Life of a mid 30s guy lol