Thread: Anybody got a Fish Finder on a yak/Jon boat?

vCash

Anybody got a Fish Finder on a yak/Jon boat?

I think I?ve decided I?m going all-out on the new yak and getting some electronics. I need all the help I can get bass fishing. Anybody have any experience? I think I just want simple downscan and I?m lookimg at either through-hull rigging or just getting the cell block setup.

vCash
    I have the Raymarine Dragonfly 5pro on my Cuda. It's plenty big enough screen for a kayak and is really easy to see in direct light. I love using it in the bay or out front in areas that have shells, drop offs,etc, but I don't even bother in the marsh. I have this battery/box and store it in the hull. I then just run the wires up around my console insert and have the dragonfly base mounted to the top of my console lid. For the transducer, I've been doing a pretty pathetic setup sliding it through the scupper and keeping in place with a block (yes it's ridiculous, but actually works), because I just haven't gotten by Everything Kayak to pick up a transducer arm. I want to use the arm for easy install/uninstall - don't like leaving it in the back of my truck.

https://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com...e-power-system

vCash
    I’m limited on mounting because of the pedal drive. I could wire from gear track to an internal battery and run the unit and transducer arm off the side. Either that or just do the whole cell block setup on the gear tracks. I love the simplicity of the cell block but that’s a bulky thing sitting on the side of your boat.

How much had the downscan helped you? Can you see fish beneath you?

vCash
    How do you like that Raymarine unit? Very comparable unit to what I looked at (Lowrance Hook2 5x split shot). Does the raymarine come with any mapping?

vCash
    I've enjoyed it. I haven't bothered to notice any marking of fish, but it's been perfect for just finding drop offs, structures and different bottoms. It just comes with a pretty basic Navionics, but it's plenty for what I'm doing in a kayak and lets me marks spots.

vCash
    Ended up getting a Lowrance Elite ti 5. Great sale of them at Tackle Direct. The unit supports the total scan transducer but it comes with the split shot transducer. So out of the box I’ll only have downscan. But if I want more I can always buy the total scan transducer seperate and add side scan. To be honest I really don’t know what I want or need.