Thread: Speaking of Shrimp... good recipes?

vCash

Speaking of Shrimp... good recipes?

I'm more into eating them than fishing with them. I do BBQ shrimp on the grill, low coutnry boils for larger groups, bacon wrapped shrimp stuffed with jalepeno cream cheese, saute lemon/butter shrimp, and fry them for shrimp tacos with some sour cream souce made with cayan and dill.

I love shrimp and seafood, but I get tired of doing the same things over and over. Any simple suggestions for shrimp?

vCash
    add to fettuccine alfredo

vCash
    I love shrimp and seafood, but I get tired of doing the same things over and over. Any simple suggestions for shrimp?[/QUOTE]

well there's shrimp cocktail, fried shrimp, boiled shrimp, shrimp Po-Boys, shrimp creole, grilled shrimp, coconut shrimp, shrimp cocktail, BB-Q shrimp, ...... that's about all you can do with shrimp

bubba.jpg

vCash
    speaking of BBQ shrimp, has anyone ever had the creole "BBQ" shrimp cooked in the butter sauce? (not on the grill) stuff is to die for

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Barking 13 View Post
    speaking of BBQ shrimp, has anyone ever had the creole "BBQ" shrimp cooked in the butter sauce? (not on the grill) stuff is to die for
    That's what I consider BBQ shrimp. If I get shrimp with actual BBQ sauce on it, I chuckle. I fry all my fish and shrimp the same and it's extremely simple. Dredge whatever seafood you're frying in buttermilk and then toss fish/shrimp in a bowl of zatarans seafood breading. Then to hot oil. I have fooled with making my own batter, seasoning flour, and corn meal etc... Zatarans is good enough to where I don't even fool with it anymore. Just buy it and batter.

vCash
    Hack- had a shrimp pasta lately that was a good change of pace. While the pasta boils, use lemon olive oil to saute some artichoke hearts, alittle crumbled bacon, lemon pepper, lemon juice, butter, some cilantro, and toasted pine nuts. Add the shrimp late to avoid overcooking. Pore it all over the pasta and you're good to go. Pairs well with a good Chard, the less austere Sauvignon Blancs, or Blue Moon or other beers of that type.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullmutt View Post
    Hack- had a shrimp pasta lately that was a good change of pace. While the pasta boils, use lemon olive oil to saute some artichoke hearts, alittle crumbled bacon, lemon pepper, lemon juice, butter, some cilantro, and toasted pine nuts. Add the shrimp late to avoid overcooking. Pore it all over the pasta and you're good to go. Pairs well with a good Chard, the less austere Sauvignon Blancs, or Blue Moon or other beers of that type.
    Sounds awesome bullmutt. Thanks for sharing that. I'd probably sub the bacon for pancetta but it would be good either way. I'd also throw a little of white wine in the olive oil lemon butter and let it reduce for bit before adding the shrimp. A california sauv blanc would be perfect with that dish. I may have to try this soon.

vCash
    that does sound good. I'm a sucker for anything with artichoke hearts or avocado.

New Orleans style BBQ shrimp is good, but I actually prefer a lime-butter sauce on the grill to go along with a steak. Can't go wrong with a little surf and turf.

vCash
    I made a big ol pot of shrimp creole a few nights ago. It is one of my favorite ways of cooking shrimp.

vCash
    wife's recipe: Shrimp Dewey (Creole Food)

Skillet: saute green onions in butter. Add Italian tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Add shrimp and simmer for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, parsley, and cook for a few minutes. Stir in some cornstarch. Once thickened add wine, sour cream, salt, basil, oregano, pepper, and tobasco to heat.

Take that mixture and spoon it into patty shells (basically biscuits that have a hole in the top of them).

It's awesome. After your initial meal you can use the mixture with noodles for leftovers.
    Last edited by Political Hack; 10-20-2013 at 02:51 PM.

vCash
    Damn hack that sounds amazing. I think I know what I may be cooking one night this week.

Banned
    vCash
    Here's a simple LFL recipe I did for shrimp. Get the bigger ones 25-30 and put them in a ziplock bag and pour in a cup of extra-virgin olive oil and some Montreal seasoning. Take a small cookie sheet pan and put a layer of foil in the pan. Pour the shrimp in the pan with enough olive oil for the shrimp to cook in. Set on the grill and turn the shrimp after a few minutes. Serve with cold cocktail sauce. Good stuff.