Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dejavu all over again? The season may end up being like 2001. The wheels are

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan77 View Post
    If you don?t think $$ invested in Starkville has a correlation to success on the football field you are sorely mistaken.
    I'll bet MSU football, and other sports to a degree, affect Starkville a lot more than Tennessee sports affect businesses in Knoxville.

vCash
    Ok let?s do this. We get beat soundly this weekend at home in front of a liberal 37,600 against Au. We again struggle offensively only this time the D clearly gives up. Now for three weeks straight against SEC teams the offense continues to fail and now the other parts of the team are falling apart. You have an off week. Then you make the call and promote Hud to interm
    You asked that?s what I would do
    I wish somebody would explain the love affair with "Hud".

vCash
    If you don?t think $$ invested in Starkville has a correlation to success on the football field you are sorely mistaken.
    Yea it does. Just like it does in every college town in America, and again, no one fires their coach after one year. Let alone 5 or 6 freaking games into his first season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WeWonItAll(Most) View Post
    Yea it does. Just like it does in every college town in America, and again, no one fires their coach after one year. Let alone 5 or 6 freaking games into his first season.
    I don't think the conventional response of "no one does" means that we shouldn't. How far down the trash chute should we let him take us before we say enough? I personally don't want to endure 19 more games before we finally cut the cord. I do think we should give him this 3 game stretch. If it doesn't get better, then I think we've seen all we need to see.

Like if there is no improvement at all, it will not get better no matter what personnel may change. I don't know of a team ever that basically returned the entire team and got significantly worse overnight. This started with UK. If he can't show any improvement in a 5 game span WITH a bye week, it will not get better. I don't know what else to say. What team shows 0 improvement and makes 0 adjustments? Furthermore, what does that say about the HC?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgs87 View Post
    I don't think the conventional response of "no one does" means that we shouldn't. How far down the trash chute should we let him take us before we say enough? I personally don't want to endure 19 more games before we finally cut the cord. I do think we should give him this 3 game stretch. If it doesn't get better, then I think we've seen all we need to see.

Like if there is no improvement at all, it will not get better no matter what personnel may change. I don't know of a team ever that basically returned the entire team and got significantly worse overnight. This started with UK. If he can't show any improvement in a 5 game span WITH a bye week, it will not get better. I don't know what else to say. What team shows 0 improvement and makes 0 adjustments? Furthermore, what does that say about the HC?
    If we are Alabama and Joe inherited Saban talent then, yeah, we could get away with it. As it is we are a bit suspect because people were actually wanting Mullen to leave. Mullen is seen as a miracle worker nationally because of what he did her. We have to give hm two, and more likely, three years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    Me too, a failed lower level coach who cheated his butt off to achieve what success he had doesn't seem to be an ideal guy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    If we are Alabama and Joe inherited Saban talent then, yeah, we could get away with it. As it is we are a bit suspect because people were actually wanting Mullen to leave. Mullen is seen as a miracle worker nationally because of what he did her. We have to give hm two, and more likely, three years.
    That just seems like the same old mentality to me. Yes, I am accustomed to winning. No, I do not want to be a doormat. I personally don't think a single prospective HC 1. Knows that a silent minority of MSU fans hoped Merlin would leave. 2. If they somehow had their ears on the MSU beat that intensely, they wouldn't give two 17's if asked to be the coach. "You mean I can can make 2-10x as much money as i'm currently making? Where do I sign?" Let's be realistic. Living in Starkville and Mississippi in general is a way bigger hurdle in a national search than what some random fans are saying on message boards. Let's stop pretending like that makes any 17ing difference.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    Ok how about we promote Joey jones as interm. It?s not the love of hud it?s the fact in 5 games joe blows

vCash
    Ok how about we promote Joey jones as interm. It?s not the love of hud it?s the fact in 5 games joe blows
    You don’t and can’t remove a HC 5 games into his first season. It’s an automatic destruction of the program for the foreseeable future. You just told every potential new coach hire, if your team sucks for 2 games of your first 5 games your gone. Not to mention financial implications of aggressive HC turn over like that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgs87 View Post
    That just seems like the same old mentality to me. Yes, I am accustomed to winning. No, I do not want to be a doormat. I personally don't think a single prospective HC 1. Knows that a silent minority of MSU fans hoped Merlin would leave. 2. If they somehow had their ears on the MSU beat that intensely, they wouldn't give two 17's if asked to be the coach. "You mean I can can make 2-10x as much money as i'm currently making? Where do I sign?" Let's be realistic. Living in Starkville and Mississippi in general is a way bigger hurdle in a national search than what some random fans are saying on message boards. Let's stop pretending like that makes any 17ing difference.
    It's not old mentality, it's eternal mentality. Perception trumps reality. Agents know what's going on....it's their job.
    Last edited by Liverpooldawg; 09-30-2018 at 08:17 PM.